• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NICS Delay

TriggeredFinger

NES Member
So I went ahead and purchased the S&W M&P 9mm range kit earlier today at FS and was told that the sale was "delayed".
I've gone ahead and searched the forum for information and I learned a lot. Regardless, I'm still unclear about a few things.

I'm guessing that the "delay" has something to do with the fact that I have a dismissed on my record. Would this be the likely cause, and if so, should I take the time to get the federal UPIN for future sales? Or could it just be some system issue and a one-time occurrence?

Also, I was told that at the latest I could pick-up on Saturday. Is there any way that this may not be the case? Could it possibly come back denied even though my LTC Class A was approved less than a month ago?

Last edited:
Maybe it is the dismissed thing, but I kind of doubt it. It's more likely that you have a name or DOB match with some felon
somewhere, and they have to bump it up to the next examiner (which wastes time).

It's pretty rare for these to turn into denials unless there's been some identity theft in play or something is messed up.

It can be a system issue but that is rare, particularly with the FBI. Frankly I'd be applying for a UPIN after the first or 2nd time it happened.

-Mike

My name is really, really uncommon, however I have a younger brother that has a fairly similar name and has an extensive criminal history. Would this be a more likely scenario?

My name is really, really uncommon, however I have a younger brother that has a fairly similar name and has an extensive criminal history. Would this be a more likely scenario?

Yup, partial match... maybe.... and if he has the same birthplace as you do, that could hit off of it, too.

-Mike

If You have a valid LTC don't sweat it. Sometimes it happens.

Yeah, I can't imagine that it's going to be a real issue...especially given the fact that I literally JUST received my Class A unrestricted. Hopefully I'll get the call back real soon and can go pick up my new purchase. I'm so inpatient!

Did your little brother ever use your name when he was being detained?

An alias will cause you big problems.

Yeah, I can't imagine that it's going to be a real issue...especially given the fact that I literally JUST received my Class A unrestricted. Hopefully I'll get the call back real soon and can go pick up my new purchase. I'm so inpatient!

In the mean time go green here (become a paid member) Benefits.

Not that I know of. This would've come up during the MA background check for my LTC Class A though, am I right?

Maybe not. NICS is a shitty, automated background check system, it's not at all like what the state does when auditing you for an LTC.

-Mike

In the mean time go green here (become a paid member) Benefits.

It's literally on my to-do list. My wife's put a limit on my firearm-related expenditures, and with the new purchase I've definitely exceeded it for the time being. I'll be going green, applying for membership at Braintree Rod & Gun club and joining GOAL/NRA in the next month or two for sure.

It's literally on my to-do list. My wife's put a limit on my firearm-related expenditures, and with the new purchase I've definitely exceeded it for the time being. I'll be going green, applying for membership at Braintree Rod & Gun club and joining GOAL/NRA in the next month or two for sure.

You'll be able to come to shoots and test pretty much anything that is out there. Just bring ammo.

I can call them directly? If I can actually make some headway on the issue, I'd definitely take the time to do it.

It's a pain in the ass, you have to fill out paperwork with a notarized form, and wait for a reply. There are layers of privacy around the whole thing. The NICS examiner won't even know why you were delayed, nor are they allowed to tell you on the phone.

If it's just a DELAY, there's no use jumping through the hoops to just find out why... just fill out the VAF UPIN app and let it rip. Even if they eventually tell you why, you're still going to need a UPIN to "fix" the problem.

-Mike

It's a pain in the ass, you have to fill out paperwork with a notarized form, and wait for a reply. There are layers of privacy around the whole thing. The NICS examiner won't even know why you were delayed, nor are they allowed to tell you on the phone.

If it's just a DELAY, there's no use jumping through the hoops to just find out why... just fill out the VAF UPIN app and let it rip. Even if they eventually tell you why, you're still going to need a UPIN to "fix" the problem.

-Mike
Good points all around. My need to understand gets in my way sometimes.

They sometimes tell you without telling you over the phone, but if it happens again, just get the pin.

I've had my unrestricted "permit" for 2+ years now, in Green Chelmsford. No problems, had a 25 y/o pot bust that was discharged w/o a plea. I told the interviewing officer about it when it popped up on their check, she told me it wouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't. Youthful indiscretion 25 years ago, bust, NOT conviction, no worries... That said, and to answer the OP:

Every, and I mean EVERY, purchase I have made here has been been Kicked up for "further review" , or "enhanced harassment" as I call it. FFL transfers, purchases at shops, purchases at shows, long guns, handguns, shotguns, EVERY one, EVERY time. I have made purchases where another buyer had his called in on the same call as mine. Mine got "reviewed", his didn't. Every one has resulted in a "proceed" within 30 seconds, EXCEPT those on friday afternoons or Saturdays. Now that I know the pattern, guess when I buy my guns?

So, my suspicion is that it's that old bust throwing a flag, they look, see there's no conviction, and allow it to proceed. I'd suffer that you apply for the UPIN like I did, and in the meantime just don't go shopping on Saturday's...

Last edited:
Maybe it is the dismissed thing, but I kind of doubt it. It's more likely that you have a name or DOB match with some felon
somewhere, and they have to bump it up to the next examiner (which wastes time).

It's pretty rare for these to turn into denials unless there's been some identity theft in play or something is messed up.

It can be a system issue but that is rare, particularly with the FBI. Frankly I'd be applying for a UPIN after the first or 2nd time it happened.

-Mike

If You have a valid LTC don't sweat it. Sometimes it happens.

What Mike & Blitz said. This can happen for many reasons, and most of them have nothing to do with your history. I've had customers get delayed and they are clean, never even had a speeding ticket. It happens, don't sweat it.

My first two purchases were approved instantly, and then my next seven have all been delayed. I have just learned to live with it. I'm at the point now where I just laugh about it. I mean, I have a safe full of guns at my house, and they act like the next one will be used for a shooting spree.

I know that I can get a UPIN, but I hear that even with those, you can still get delayed, just for a shorter time. The number of days doesn't bother me nearly as much as the second trip to the gun shop. In some cases, I have mailed the NICS paperwork to the shop ahead of time to save me the trip.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and the exciting world of gun ownership. If your wife is concerned about the going-green fee, she is really going to hate the 10 guns you are going to buy this year [grin].

I used to get delayed every time I bought a gun. I got the number from the dealer when I was buying one and called them. It was from an arrest when I was 20 where they charged me with "Obstructing Government Administration". Apparently this can be some kind of disqualifier. Basically I was drinking and in the way of someone they were trying to arrest. I had it expunged and have not been delayed since. They told me why over the phone.

Do you put your SSN# on your application? It will help if your problem is with another person with a similar name such as your brother. If it was me I'd call and take care of it. Waiting is the thing I do least best.

I get used to get delayed most of the time. I looked at the UPIN application process and got a headache. I have found that putting my SS# (which is usually optional) on the 4473 usually helps me get through without delay.

That's the beauty of a FTF transaction!
I only got delayed once, about 15 years ago. I left the shop, grabbed a sandwich, and the shop called me and said I was all set.
Not sure if the more you buy, and your name is run through the system more often, it might go away on its own. Just keep in mind, if you are traveling a far distance for a FFL transfer, it might happen again, causing a lot of wasted travel time.
Good luck, and keep us posted as you buy more.

I get used to get delayed most of the time. I looked at the UPIN application process and got a headache. I have found that putting my SS# (which is usually optional) on the 4473 usually helps me get through without delay.

+1 on this. I know a lot of people have an issue with supplying a SSN # on a 4473 but I figure they already know my SSN and if it helps speed the process along....

+1 on this. I know a lot of people have an issue with supplying a SSN # on a 4473 but I figure they already know my SSN and if it helps speed the process along....

That is my thinking as well, so I always use it in the "optional" space, and have never had a single delay, or problem.

The crazy thing is when i supply my SS# I have gotten delays. When i leave it blank it goes right through. Shows how messed up the system is.

I've gotten the Upin after three subsequent "delays" and then was delayed while using the Upin. However, the shop owner called them back to find out WTF was wrong and it was cleared and a proceed was issued. The agent couldn't figure out why it was delayed.

The system sucks!

Oh, the UPIN process is easy, it just takes them a while to process it.

Sent from my Photon using Tapatalk not while driving! ;-)

Not necessarily. It's very possible fore someone to have an LTC and still not pass the NICS check because they're federally prohibited.

I guess I am not getting this....If you have a LTC and get delayed doesn't the sale still go thru after 3 days?
I get delayed alot due to an arrest but no conviction. So I wait 3 days and I get the firearm.

I have had it go thru immediately too, so it is a crap shoot. A freind of mine just got delayed for the first time and he was very upset and told the salesman he didn't want the gun and stormed out.

Last edited:
I always got delayed so I got the UPIN. I haven't been delayed in 4 or 5 years now.

For whatever reason you are getting delayed, real or imagined, get the UPIN... It's nice to leave the shop with the gun on the first trip.

Back
Top Bottom