Night Hunting Coyote Options

hv55maxx

NES Member
Northwest Assachusetts where the dragons be
Probably could be in the firearms forum but its hunting related. Move if necessary.

So bear with me as i talk this one out. Seeing the Remington 700 bolt action pistol got me thinking about 38 special and thermal scope combo for night hunting coyotes.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=96814

-Start with a virgin left-handed action (to keep trigger finger ready for follow up shots)
-Register as pistol to get around that "loophole."
-I can't find any options so I would assume you would have to have a custom barrel made in say 10-14" length chamber in 38 special (preferably at least +P).
-Probably a custom bolt face also (0.440" rim [308= 0.478"; 223= 0.378"])
-Pork Sword-style chassis (Building a Pork Sword Pistol - Black Collar Arms)
-Thermal Scope of choice (no IR night-vision scope "emits light" [conveniently IR by definition is not in visible light spectrum but yet considered light emitting per regs o_O])
-Clamp tripod since it'll probably be heavy (https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bog-d...MIxbWOoO6E4wIVA4_ICh1y7wgaEAQYASABEgIe5fD_BwE)

so for an easy $10k+ you can hunt coyote with more than a 22LR at night. its only money right?

anyone have anything wild like that? I know there's a Mass Coyote Hunting faceplant page with some pretty tricked out T/C Contender rigs and such.

Lot of investment, instead why not just toss a night scope on to your AR, easy for follow up shots and cheaper. Or I also use my 12 gauge shotgun. Not sure if you hunted yotes before but you might be overthinking it.

Lot of investment, instead why not just toss a night scope on to your AR, easy for follow up shots and cheaper. Or I also use my 12 gauge shotgun. Not sure if you hunted yotes before but you might be overthinking it.
The op is talking a out night hunting coyote. An ar.....being .223 call is a no go at night.

From the regs

Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

I see your thought process. Pistol.....so could go up to 38 cal. Barrel length on your proposed model 700 would be 10 to 14 inches? Why not just use a revolver with a long barrel? The ruger blackhawk comes in 357 (load with 38 for night hunting) with a 6.5 inch barrel. Drill and tap for night scope.......faster follow up shots than cycling a bolt.......still have a good long barrel for decent velocity. Use a good shooting stick for stability. Load up with some buffalo bore 38 plus p jacketed soft points. That be a dead coyote.

Want to get even crazier with the whatifs? Ruger blackhawk comes in 30 carbine! That's less than 38 right? Seen many of those drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Here's the ruger page on it.....comes in a 7.5 inch barrel too! Im reading that out of the 7.5 inch blackhawk it would launch the 110 grain bullet at about 1500fps! Way more than you'd get out of a 38 special. That's your coyote night gun right there!

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Blued Single-Action Revolver Model 0505

Last edited:
The op is talking a out night hunting coyote. An ar.....being .223 call is a no go at night.

From the regs

Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

Missed that, I dont hunt them in Mass, rather in Im in maine and hunt them with both an AR and Shotgun..

Why not build a fixed mag ar pistol in .223 or .204 ruger or .300 blackout. Bounced this off an epo and he said it's ok assuming you dont build an illegal assult weapon (eye roll) and that he has an ar pistol for night hunting.

Why not build a fixed mag ar pistol in .223 or .204 ruger or .300 blackout. Bounced this off an epo and he said it's ok assuming you dont build an illegal assult weapon (eye roll) and that he has an ar pistol for night hunting.

considered chambered larger than "38 caliber" which clearly means 38 special (which is what it has been construed to mean).

this wasn't really meant to be a question of feasibility but more of a thought-provoker on franken-guns. The 30 carbine is a cool item. The other aspect of this is that those thermals are pretty large and heavy so you'd need some real estate to attach it too. would a revolver provide that?

considered chambered larger than "38 caliber" which clearly means 38 special (which is what it has been construed to mean).

this wasn't really meant to be a question of feasibility but more of a thought-provoker on franken-guns. The 30 carbine is a cool item. The other aspect of this is that those thermals are pretty large and heavy so you'd need some real estate to attach it too. would a revolver provide that?
They aren't all big

3 new mini thermal imagers small enough for pistols

ive seen those and the Sig version. The issue i come up with is that there is an backlighting effect. I've also read and been told the clarity isn't great with those. more like a blob on the screen.
Ah makes sense

Not sure what the 30 carbine Blackhawk allows for space to mount .......but I've seen some big ass scopes mounted on blackhawks. The Blackhawks is a big f***ing gun. With a good shooting stick for support you might be good to go.

Want to get even crazier with the whatifs? Ruger blackhawk comes in 30 carbine! That's less than 38 right? Seen many of those drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

There was a long thread on this issue a few months ago. It is worth a read.

Coyote, Night and Day

That thread is pretty much in agreement with @hv55maxx. The meaningless phrase "chambered not larger than .38 caliber" has been interpreted to mean that no dimension of the chamber can be larger than 38 special. Now in my opinion, that phrase is so poorly written that it should be considered void due to vagueness. But my opinion won't do you any good with the Environmental Police.

Well I guess everyone start a donation fund to whatever martyr tries this. No disrespect intended but the EPOs much like cops are not always the most versed in the laws they're enforcing.

Well I guess everyone start a donation fund to whatever martyr tries this. No disrespect intended but the EPOs much like cops are not always the most versed in the laws they're enforcing.
Tries what? There have been multiple suggestions some totally legal.

Iver Johnson Enforcer.

It’s all so vague and nonsense. Most folks will tell you at night 9mm is a no-go, as is 17HMR. Despite smaller diameter bullets. Yet in a state where you can’t hunt deer with a rifle you can hunt Coyotes with a 50bmg by day.

The MA State Police fired up their "air wing" helicopter to get some guys night hunting (poaching) without a license, with lights, wrong caliber, ...

Story here (need to scroll down a little):

It’s all so vague and nonsense. Most folks will tell you at night 9mm is a no-go, as is 17HMR. Despite smaller diameter bullets. Yet in a state where you can’t hunt deer with a rifle you can hunt Coyotes with a 50bmg by day.
Its fully retarded. They cant “trust”
coyote hunters with a rifle at night but you can hunt coyotes all thru bow season in the same woods as bowhunters are in. With no orange on with a high power rifle. As long as its during the day.

I mean really. I could hunt rut all day long with a rifle and no one would know crap. In my area next to a wma there are so many gunshots no one cares. I would never do it because its not lawful.

But Fxing coyotes. Who the fxck cares. Kill them all. Any way any how. They will still be eating deer every year.

Back
Top Bottom