Nighthawk Customs 1911 Build - 10mm or 45acp?

Looking to dive into a semi custom 1911 from Nighthawk Customs. Pistol will be a single stack, 5” build, and I’m pretty sure a Shadow Hawk.

Where I’m stuck is caliber.

I am just getting into 10mm as I have always been intrigued in the caliber. A (4” M&P)

I don’t have anything in 45acp

I have a Dillon Square deal on the way for reloading for 10mm, but it would be an easy swap for 45acp large primer on the press so that’s not a problem.

Does 10mm lend itself to a 1911? Does it beat up the gun? This pistol will be shot and won’t be a safe queen.

From what I'm seeing, you won't regret either option. If you want to go 10mm, get that one (first). You can always get another in 45ACP later. ;)

Now I'm lusting after their TRS Commander (been looking for something in 9mm that I'll enjoy shooting). Need to look into their lead times and such before I decide.

From what I'm seeing, you won't regret either option. If you want to go 10mm, get that one (first). You can always get another in 45ACP later. ;)

Now I'm lusting after their TRS Commander (been looking for something in 9mm that I'll enjoy shooting). Need to look into their lead times and such before I decide.
Old Glory in Greenville NH is verifying lead time tomorrow, they had stopped taking orders at one point. They have a a pair of 9mm in stock, i believer one was a commander size, I didn’t look hard as it wasn’t the caliber I was looking for.

the only reason nowadays to own anything in .45 would be a purely sentimental reason. 10mm wins in every aspect over .45, but, something like a classic 1911 really wants to be in .45.
a 2011 gun - can be a different story.

I, myself still in debating stage of what gun i want to get next, as i kinda give up on the idea to wait for glock to announce any gen5 models in the 10mm lineup. i kinda think now of going upscale with something like the STI Tactical DS 2011, in 10mm. But, it is expensive, and then i will need to stock up 10mm ammo. Will see.

I'm setup for reloading 45ACP and 9mm, so either works. I have three 1911's in 45ACP. I've thought about going the STI route, but I really like the all steel frame like from Nighthawk. I've only had one polymer framed pistol and didn't care for it at all. I'll stick with steel while I can still get them.

I'm setup for reloading 45ACP and 9mm, so either works. I have three 1911's in 45ACP. I've thought about going the STI route, but I really like the all steel frame like from Nighthawk. I've only had one polymer framed pistol and didn't care for it at all. I'll stick with steel while I can still get them.
STI isn’t what it once was, they don’t make much that interests me at this point. (Not a knock on the company, just doesn’t fit my interest)

Lol STI is done, they only make 2011s now, and only a limited amount.

Looking to dive into a semi custom 1911 from Nighthawk Customs. Pistol will be a single stack, 5” build, and I’m pretty sure a Shadow Hawk.

Where I’m stuck is caliber.

I am just getting into 10mm as I have always been intrigued in the caliber. A (4” M&P)

I don’t have anything in 45acp

I have a Dillon Square deal on the way for reloading for 10mm, but it would be an easy swap for 45acp large primer on the press so that’s not a problem.

Does 10mm lend itself to a 1911? Does it beat up the gun? This pistol will be shot and won’t be a safe queen.

Which holds more, the .45 or 10mm?
If I'm spending that kind of cash, I'd want more than 7 or 8 rounds.

10 won't beat up the gun. Both close in overall length 1.235 vs 1.260 (?) Might even be less jam-o-matic which is what 1911's are known for.
If you're going to reload for it then you can play around with all kinds of stuff.

I load for both, I'm really hard pressed to pick up a massive noticeable difference in recoil with similar weight heads.
Yes, you'll know the difference between 160 gr 10mm and a 230 gr .45, but 200 vs 230 is about the same.
I also like to call it .40 Magnum because its fun to get The Speds all riled up.

Might be a good use for my income tax return. ;) Should pay for at least a decent part of one of their 1911's (Nighthawk Custom). I'd rather get them to make one up as I want it, and then get it sent to one of the FFLs I like to use for the last bit. For me, if it takes them some months to get to my order, that's no issue. As long as I know going into it.

BTW, the Desert Eagle 1911C (the newest 1911 in my collection) has not had any jamming, or feed/eject issues since day one. IME, any QUALITY 1911 will work just fine. Go bargain basement/skinflint level and all bets are off. :p

Which holds more, the .45 or 10mm?
If I'm spending that kind of cash, I'd want more than 7 or 8 rounds.

10 won't beat up the gun. Both close in overall length 1.235 vs 1.260 (?) Might even be less jam-o-matic which is what 1911's are known for.
If you're going to reload for it then you can play around with all kinds of stuff.

I load for both, I'm really hard pressed to pick up a massive noticeable difference in recoil with similar weight heads.
Yes, you'll know the difference between 160 gr 10mm and a 230 gr .45, but 200 vs 230 is about the same.
I also like to call it .40 Magnum because its fun to get The Speds all riled up.
I have other guns that hold more, I’m not worried about that. It’s only 1 or 2 rounds so whatever

Cases are rare and so expensive to reload. Non standard round for competing. I just don't see a point to it. A least .40 has a place in competition. I'd stick with 9 or .45.
I don’t know that I would categorize 10mm as rare, but I get what your saying. Given that I already have 10mm and will be reloading for it, I’m not sure that applies to me

Small primer 45 has been a thing for a while, and recently small primer 10mm is a thing. You're going to be sorting brass in either caliber.
What twisted mind deemed it acceptable to have both small- and large-primer brass in the same caliber? That‘s just plain twisted.

I try not to use pickup brass (.45), but inevitably a small one sneaks in now and then. My press has a swager station, and it stops the press when it hits a small-primer pocket so at least I’m not trying to stuff a larger primer into a small hole. But what a major PITA.

I have a healthy amount of (large primer) 45 ACP brass already. Plus all the loaded ammo I typically purchase is also large primer. So not really an issue for me.

Its interesting that many pistols on their website have the " fully machined series " listed in the details.

Anyhow congrats to the OP .

Attachments

• 20220125_073921.jpg
    20220125_073921.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
Its interesting that many pistols on their website have the " fully machined series " listed in the details.

Anyhow congrats to the OP .
My guess is this is in anticipation of some sort of spin off production line as an entry level to the Nighthawk brand. As it currently stands, I believe all products sit within the "FM" series which makes no sense to brand the entire lineup that way

Back
Top Bottom