NJ Persecution - Guns from Home to Range, No Stops!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Posted on the president of NJ Second Amendment Society's FB account on 2/9/16.

Alexander P. Roubian
February 9 at 2:44pm ·

I just got a call from a person who went to the range with his uncle, dropped him off at home, got pulled over while going home, cop asked where he was coming from, he was honest and told the police officer that he went to the range with his uncle and just dropped him off. He was immediately arrested and now facing 7-10 years in prison for dropping his uncle off instead of going directly to and from the range. This is NJ gun laws at work! ‪#‎NJ2AS‬ ‪#‎2A‬

Persecution is correct. The statute doesn't say you can't make any stops and I thought they were working on clarifying this issue. Of course it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place but that is another story.

This is the main reason why in terms of commie states NJ is worse than all of the others. People "forget" this little
caveat in the law. Even moonbat supercenters like CA don't have shit this bad in the laws.

-Mike

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Such bullshit. Well what deviation is reasonably necessary? In reality, the answer is none. It's totally dependent on the police and prosecutor, which to most, is none.

now that christie is out of the presidential race expect this guy to get totally railroaded. he was only cutting people breaks on 2a-related nonsense to try to pander to the voters. i pity this poor bastard because christie is probably still butthurt about getting totally wasted in his brief stint in the race.

Quote is posted all over the Internet, yet there was not a single link to the source posted in 7 days.

Well, it's just his word. The guy is an attorney. He probably can't say much more unless/until the case is closed.

Would be interesting to find a "police log" entry for it, but without knowing the city/town that's kinda hard to do.

-Mike

They'd probably argue stopping at stop signs and red lights isn't even allowed. If picking someone up isn't, then getting gas or fast food must be right out. Changing a flat tire? No way. Pedestrian in a crosswalk? Toss up. Using a bathroom? Hell no!

We have the same law in RI if you don't have a CCW permit. I don't know of anyone who has ever been jammed up by it, but the letter of the law is directly to and from the range.

Yeah, but nobody ever obeys that in RI and I've never heard of it being enforced, either. Hell I can't even find the applicable text at the moment.

-Mike

Yeah, but nobody ever obeys that in RI and I've never heard of it being enforced, either. Hell I can't even find the applicable text at the moment.

-Mike

I don't know about "nobody ever obeys", they are risking a felony if they are caught, and I know plenty of people who are quite aware of that possibility. As to whether they cart around their fireams or not, I can't say. We don't discuss it.

You have to combine the text of two parts of the statute to get the meaning...

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.
§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range. – No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose

I would guess if someone got pulled over in NJ for whatever reason and the cop found out he/she was driving to or from the range, the driver could be arrested for making a stop.

Given that then, would it be possible to use that as part of an argument to get an RI CC license?

-Mike

It appears, your honor, there is some confusion. Yes, I was driving to/from the range. The driving range. Guilty as charged.

I cant believe this actually exists.

The law, as it's written in NJ is that everything is illegal and owning a gun is by an exception. You don't meet the exceptions to the letter, it's illegal. I would be curious how many folks have truly been nailed for an impermissible "deviation".

This, too... I mean what kind of a piece of human excrement does someone have to be to charge someone with this "crime"? It's literally the dumbest law in the book.

-Mike

The same kind of excrement that will fire on civilians in order to confiscate their guns if asked to do so.

A NJ cop I know told me of an otherwise innocent person with a .22 rifle he arrested.

He said if he came across the person on routine patrol, he would have counseled him as to the law and went about his duties, but since he took a call from dispatch and there was a record of it, he had to make an arrest since, in his exact words "I'm not going to screw with my pension".

I suspect many cops would fire on civilians if they felt it was needed to protect their pension.

Back
Top Bottom