• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No ammo for competition.

Knob Creek

NES Member
I’m starting up some matches at my club next month. I’ve been reloading for 40 years or so and smart enough to have enough components and loaded ammo on hand so I’m not affected. I ran into a couple shooters that said they won’t be shooting this year because they are having a difficult time getting ammunition and what they do get they want to hold on to. Anyone else seeing this?

I’m starting up some matches at my club next month. I’ve been reloading for 40 years or so and smart enough to have enough components and loaded ammo on hand so I’m not affected. I ran into a couple shooters that said they won’t be shooting this year because they are having a difficult time getting ammunition and what they do get they want to hold on to. Anyone else seeing this?
What does @drgrant call these guys again? Johnny Two-Box? Anyone other than casual shooters should always have a good amount on hand and/or the means to load it. If not, then you have to pay whatever you get stuck paying.

I know a couple of shooters who never have more than maybe 100-200 rounds of ammo on hand at any time. They buy a few boxes before the range, and don't keep much else laying around. Given the volatility of the industry, seems like madness to me.

I have a ton of crap bulk ammo, but I actually don't have that much ammo that I would use for competition. I was going to start reloading, but my basement refinish project isn't done and currently all that stuff is boxed up in storage waiting.

Life sucks when you're always viewing it looking backwards out your ass. This ammo issue has been around for over a decade now.
Anyone who didn't stock up during the plentiful times is just shit out of luck.

If you are a reloader and a avid shooter you should have at least 2-3k of range ammo, or components to make it on hand at all times, as for factory ammo, I don't shoot much of that anymore, But I always thought 5k was a good baseline for the strategic stockpile per caliber. Minimum

Yeah I know a couple guys at my club who said they plan to cut down on shooting (not comp shooters though).

What brand/type/cal of they looking for anyway? Prices are up but if they watch TSUSA and get email notifications they should be able to buy cases of ammo. Unless they’re shooting oddball calibers

What does @drgrant call these guys again? Johnny Two-Box? Anyone other than casual shooters should always have a good amount on hand and/or the means to load it. If not, then you have to pay whatever you get stuck paying.

I know a couple of shooters who never have more than maybe 100-200 rounds of ammo on hand at any time. They buy a few boxes before the range, and don't keep much else laying around. Given the volatility of the industry, seems like madness to me.
Johnny/Joe two or more often, one box. Basically the guy that would go to Walmart before he went to the range He blows off everything he just bought at the range and has absolutely nothing in reserve. I have close friends of mine that do this bullshit and it's absolutely mind-numbing. Like I'm talking there are guys that have like ten grand worth of guns and they still are doing the one box bulshit and don't even have a thousand rounds of any one caliber laying around tell me this is madness like... hell, I hate 22 rimfire like i hate 1 877 kars4kids, and I even have like at least a couple thousand rounds of that shit laying around.... may not be the popular opinion but I always tell people if you can't afford to feed them just start getting rid of them and just keep the essentials- it's what I did when I got rid of my ex, I think at my low point I had like maybe three to five guns because that's all I could really afford to feed.... the only way I can see not having a lot of ammo was if somebody is into guns strictly as a collector and ended up petting the things way more than they shoot them.. not my gig but I'm not going to judge anyone else for it..

Johnny/Joe two or more often, one box. Basically the guy that would go to Walmart before he went to the range He blows off everything he just bought at the range and has absolutely nothing in reserve. I have close friends of mine that do this bullshit and it's absolutely mind-numbing. Like I'm talking there are guys that have like ten grand worth of guns and they still are doing the one box bulshit and don't even have a thousand rounds of any one caliber laying around tell me this is madness like... hell, I hate 22 rimfire like i hate 1 877 kars4kids, and I even have like at least a couple thousand rounds of that shit laying around.... may not be the popular opinion but I always tell people if you can't afford to feed them just start getting rid of them and just keep the essentials- it's what I did when I got rid of my ex, I think at my low point I had like maybe three to five guns because that's all I could really afford to feed.... the only way I can see not having a lot of ammo was if somebody is into guns strictly as a collector and ended up petting the things way more than they shoot them.. not my gig but I'm not going to judge anyone else for it..

Most of buddies back in Ohio are like this. They have to stop in Walmart, Rural King, or LGS to get Ammo on the way to shoot.

Always have 1000 rounds of premium jhp’s of “DO NOT TOUCH UNTIL SHTF” for every sidearm, 1000 rounds of .308 raufoss because anything worth shooting up deserves to be burnt down and another 1000 rounds of soft point or hollow point for every MBR then there’s a couple K rounds of practice ammo in every caliber we shoot. That’s along with about 8 months of food and other preps. When you prep, do it in small or medium batches, do it regular and before long you’ll have almost enough. [smile]

I never understood the "buy on the way to the range" mindset either. I don't even bring boxed ammo out when I'm shooting, everything is already loaded in magazines so I can shoot, not sit on the firing line loading magazines.

Hell, I keep ammo in bulk in calibers that I don't even own guns for.

Most of buddies back in Ohio are like this. They have to stop in Walmart, Rural King, or LGS to get Ammo on the way to shoot.
The only downside of some of the free states is that some of these guys tend to take stuff for granted.... they just think it will never be unavailable or they didn't learn from the Obama scares etcetera

I never understood the "buy on the way to the range" mindset either. I don't even bring boxed ammo out when I'm shooting, everything is already loaded in magazines so I can shoot, not sit on the firing line loading magazines.

It's funny you mention that because I'm pissed at myself for not buying like 500-1000 rounds of 300 Blackout because I was planning on getting one in the next year or so..... I still maintain a stash of 38 and 357 Magnum even though I don't even have any revolvers right now I understand completely where you're coming from....

Jesus christ I hope you leave some coordinates before you die!

Kidding...but, only maybe?

Here is some .223 and .308 match ammunition in stock at TSUSA. Skinflints need not apply. If you don't have it and you need it, you pony up and learn your lesson for the future:

Here is some .223 and .308 match ammunition in stock at TSUSA. Skinflints need not apply. If you don't have it and you need it, you pony up and learn your lesson for the future:

I guess we're ACTUALLY at a point when 5.56 is more expensive than .308? Regardless...buy it while you can! I get the feeling ammo might not be available for much longer at anything that even RESEMBLES reasonable (and this is unreasonable).

god damn, I hope I have enough powder/projectiles to get me through until i'm dust. unlikely...but trying to think positive these days.

I guess we're ACTUALLY at a point when 5.56 is more expensive than .308? Regardless...buy it while you can! I get the feeling ammo might not be available for much longer at anything that even RESEMBLES reasonable (and this is unreasonable).

god damn, I hope I have enough powder/projectiles to get me through until i'm dust. unlikely...but trying to think positive these days.
Ditto on the "I hope I have enough powder/projectiles to get me through until I'm dust". My only problem is that I am currently getting chemo and I have no real idea when that will be. I told my Oncologist that I was (at one time) a competitive pistol shooter. I had learned that if I looked at the scoreboard before I shot, I would think oh, I only need X points to win and invariably, I would get X-1... If I didn't know, I would give it my best possible effort. If I lost, oh well... Don't give me stages and probability, give me your best treatment and we will let God sort it out, :) (After this Covid and rioting BS.) I think that I will be fine(got to be positive) and that I will be able to look back and kick my a$$ for not buying 2500 rounds of ELEY 10X for $750.00. [shocked] (Which was actually a very good deal)

If you need ammo now and it is more expensive now than it has been, or it is not available; or you could have reloaded it for less when components were cheaper or available, you didn't plan very well. Now you have spend more money or go without. If you can, spend the money and buy what you need. If you don't have the money, prioritize your wants/needs and find the money elsewhere. If that is not possible, sell something to get it. Absent that, decide that you really don't need to shoot competitively this summer and take up golf. [wink]
Note: I had to fix "I'm" in your quote. I 'm like that...

Edit to add my favorite Beer Label. Don't be a:
1592453419565.png

Last edited:
Note: I had to fix "I'm" in your quote. I 'm like that...

I’m totally Okay with you grammar Nazi types ;)

Best of luck with your treatments...and I mean that sincerely.

You seem like a really good dude, and we need more of your kind around to rebuild.

Wait for something good to die of, like a heart attack during sex or an f5 tornado...during sex.

I’m totally Okay with you grammar Nazi types ;)

Best of luck with your treatments...and I mean that sincerely.

You seem like a really good dude, and we need more of your kind around to rebuild.

Wait for something good to die of, like a heart attack during sex or an f5 tornado...during sex.
Thank you. I appreciate that. [cheers]
I have been a biker, Mountain and road for many years ((Surly Crosscheck and Gary Fisher Xcaliber), (old school)( just not the last few years (I rode the Crosscheck over 3500 miles the first year and 5400 miles the second year that I had it. It has over 14,000 miles on it with an average speed between 15 and 16 miles/hour)... Last fall, I went on a diet and got to a weight that would have allowed me to get back on the Crosscheck in March. A small detour presented it self at the end of January and I will have to wait a few more months but I will get back on the bike. There is nothing better than getting it rolling over 20 miles an hour on a flat road. I would love to ride the Canal on a really windy day. I would slog to the end against the wind and then when I turned back, the magic would happen. Thirty miles per hour at times, slowing for walkers at other times, getting 22 or 23 miles/hour average for the return trip. I also liked to see how fast I could go. It is not too hilly around eastern MA but I got the Xcaliber up to 43 miles/hour. When I got the Cross Check, I went down the same hill and got-----43 miles/hour. [laugh] I then learned that the Xcaliber was pretty fast for a mountain bike and the air resistance of moving my fat a$$ was probably the limiting factor.
Any way, back to the bolded part of your quote:
I have always hoped to die on the bike, not in an accident (already been hit by a truck head on...and others) but of natural causes. Then after I am dead, I plan to roll to a stop doing a perfect track stand. [banana]

No! If they are competitive shooters, then they should have a reasonable supply of comp ammo.

What's a reasonable supply?

If in March you had 10k rounds, is that a reasonable supply? 15k? 20k?

What if in the last several months were there hasn't been any competitions you've been continuing to train and shoot and have now shot your reasonable supply?

What if in the last several months were there hasn't been any competitions you've been continuing to train and shoot and have now shot your reasonable supply?

Well, Then it wasn't a reasonable supply......it was poor planning.

A reasonable supply is one that:

1. Gives you an ample amount on hand and set back for SHTF ONLY stock.
2. Provides for your normal shooting/training habits.
3. Provides for the possibility of having to supply ammo for others that might become your ally in an SHTF scenario.
4. Provides a buffer period when pricing goes to the level of "absurd" so you don't have to spend your last dollar to fill a few magazines.

During the height of Covid I was still reloading as often as I would be during regular times. So I loaded up thousands of 9mm and .45 and now that Walls of steel/ steel challenge/ IDPA/ bowling pins are starting to come back, I can go shoot and not have to worry about spending precious free time loading ammo. ;)

I always load a bunch over the winter months and try to keep at least a season's worth of supplies on-hand.

Personally I have not been shooting a bunch lately other than .22 but when I was shooting USPSA regularly, I stacked it deep.

Be Prepared! A lesson I learned at an early age. (Boy scout before they became a bunch of pussies) I also always have a knife and a flashlight in my pocket. [wink]

If you are a reloader and a avid shooter you should have at least 2-3k of range ammo, or components to make it on hand at all times, as for factory ammo, I don't shoot much of that anymore, But I always thought 5k was a good baseline for the strategic stockpile per caliber. Minimum

Who the hell only keeps 2-3K rounds of ammo? This is just silly talk right there :)

A reasonable supply is double of what you'd go through during a competition season.
Per caliber.

This. You can never have enough ammo or mags loaded with it. Especially ARs or Glocks. The mags are dirt cheap and you can buy them in bulk. PMAGs can be bought in 50 or 100 bulk boxes.

$949 for 100 PMAGs.

Any specific caliber?

Back
Top Bottom