• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No ammo for competition.

Doing a shoot this sat, going to shoot my 1911 to conserve 9mm. Plus shake it up a bit. Just checked TSUA, $258 prime before tax for Speer 115 grain. Ugh.

I have a bunch of .45 as I shoot it less

Thank you. I appreciate that. [cheers]
I have been a biker, Mountain and road for many years ((Surly Crosscheck and Gary Fisher Xcaliber), (old school)( just not the last few years (I rode the Crosscheck over 3500 miles the first year and 5400 miles the second year that I had it. It has over 14,000 miles on it with an average speed between 15 and 16 miles/hour)... Last fall, I went on a diet and got to a weight that would have allowed me to get back on the Crosscheck in March. A small detour presented it self at the end of January and I will have to wait a few more months but I will get back on the bike. There is nothing better than getting it rolling over 20 miles an hour on a flat road. I would love to ride the Canal on a really windy day. I would slog to the end against the wind and then when I turned back, the magic would happen. Thirty miles per hour at times, slowing for walkers at other times, getting 22 or 23 miles/hour average for the return trip. I also liked to see how fast I could go. It is not too hilly around eastern MA but I got the Xcaliber up to 43 miles/hour. When I got the Cross Check, I went down the same hill and got-----43 miles/hour. [laugh] I then learned that the Xcaliber was pretty fast for a mountain bike and the air resistance of moving my fat a$$ was probably the limiting factor.
Any way, back to the bolded part of your quote:
I have always hoped to die on the bike, not in an accident (already been hit by a truck head on...and others) but of natural causes. Then after I am dead, I plan to roll to a stop doing a perfect track stand. [banana]
I lived in Springfield, an rode a route that would take me to the top of Monson Hill, pedal down an hit 62 mph on a road bike.
Thinking back I should of wore more then my aero bike clothes an a helmet!

Some of the casual guys I know have expressed interest in shooting a match, trying out the sport, looks cool on tv, until they get to the how many rounds question. You start thinking thru the math for these guys to shoot....
3 boxes 45 ball @ 20 more probably @ LGS, 20 entry fee.....even if they have all the gear, closing in on a hundred for a morning spent finding out your not nearly as good a shooter as you thought you were....

Some of the casual guys I know have expressed interest in shooting a match, trying out the sport, looks cool on tv, until they get to the how many rounds question. You start thinking thru the math for these guys to shoot....
3 boxes 45 ball @ 20 more probably @ LGS, 20 entry fee.....even if they have all the gear, closing in on a hundred for a morning spent finding out your not nearly as good a shooter as you thought you were....

You want to get humbled real quick? Go to a match.

Doing a shoot this sat, going to shoot my 1911 to conserve 9mm. Plus shake it up a bit. Just checked TSUA, $258 prime before tax for Speer 115 grain. Ugh.

I have a bunch of .45 as I shoot it less

Do you think it’ll get cheaper before it gets more expensive? Honest Question.

Do you think it’ll get cheaper before it gets more expensive? Honest Question.

Like in the past (ammo) and in the commodities market. It always goes up in panic situations and never seems like it will go back to normal pricing.

But I remember in 2005ish oil was $120 a barrel. No one thought it would go back to normal ~$30-40 a barrel. We were paying over $4 a gallon for gas. People were selling their trucks and suvs for priuses. Now gas is under $2 and trucks made a huge resurgence.

So I can’t predict the future. But I think this is a(nother)bubble. Hope I’m right...

Ironically no one is really shooting much. Components are not in jeopardy. People are just buying stuff at a high rate the manufacturers can’t keep up.

I shoot maybe 100-180 rounds and pay $20-25 per idpa/uspsa match.

I shoot with some really good shooters. In general, unless they are your friend (and teasing) no one will legitimately crap on you (unless you are unsafe). I’ve seen good shooters screw up and I’ve seen new shooters do well.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to buy one of those 55gal drums of 5.56. But I don't have any way to move it around. Lol.
I do, group buy? Well, when the prices go back to pre-Covid 19 prices.

What does @drgrant call these guys again? Johnny Two-Box? Anyone other than casual shooters should always have a good amount on hand and/or the means to load it. If not, then you have to pay whatever you get stuck paying.

I know a couple of shooters who never have more than maybe 100-200 rounds of ammo on hand at any time. They buy a few boxes before the range, and don't keep much else laying around. Given the volatility of the industry, seems like madness to me.

Yeah I don't get it either, and I'm not a competitive shooter.
Someone I didn't know well asked me several years ago asked me about my "Portfolio"
I told him I have my IRA but mostly I invested in precious metals, like Junk Silver.
I neglected to tell him the majority of my precious metals are Brass or Lead.
I believe Col. Jeff Cooper referred to Ammo as Ballistic Wampum.

Last edited:
I meant every one buy a barrel, there's only 12,500 rounds per drum.
Probably 4 drums per pallet. Maybe we could get a discount for 3 or 4 pallets?

Same answer but drop it off at my garage and I’ll scoop them up into ammo cans to bring inside. Then I have a burn barrel 😎

I’d stock up on any deals.

I shoot maybe 100-180 rounds and pay $20-25 per idpa/uspsa match.

I shoot with some really good shooters. In general, unless they are you’re friend (and teasing) no one will legitimately crap on you (unless you are unsafe). I’ve seen good shooters screw up and I’ve seen new shooters do well.
Teasing... [cheers]

AND half these folks probably golf and are not good and blow $100 plus anyway....not to mention the ones that go to the bar weekly/ smoke / eat out constantly.
Its only money and you only get better with practice and shooting more like anything else.

I’m shooting less. It sucks. I feel that I have a pretty good supply, but it’s tough to burn through rounds “having fun” when price/availability is so bad.

I have a pistol class coming up in August that I would normally try to shoot 1k to get ready for, now I will probably shoot half that ☹️

Like I tell my Relatively new shooting friends when they are surprised at ammo prices. I tell them to buy as much as they can afford anyway. Today’s “high” prices will look like a steal tomorrow. Especially since the current pandemic/protest situation will run us right into the next election cycle...

Like I tell my Relatively new shooting friends when they are surprised at ammo prices. I tell them to buy as much as they can afford anyway. Today’s “high” prices will look like a steal tomorrow. Especially since the current pandemic/protest situation will run us right into the next election cycle...

This is the real crux of it all...those who were paying attention did most of their buying late last year/early this year. Of course, too bad for me I was in the middle of moving a thousand miles away and kinda hit the ground running when I got here. I did luck out and bought 50# of Varget off a guy semi-locally before the major shutdown.

Everyone knew 2020 was going to be a 'run on guns' because of the election, but nobody could have ever even dreamed that the Ides of March would bring a tidal wave of demand about 6 months premature and wipe out any/all stock on the shelves. I think most manufacturers were just planning for the ramp up in production for the summer months to get ready for the autumn surge and were caught with their pants down.

Moral of the story is...I think things will be 'available', but you'll have to move on what you need quick! I keep a few 'shopping carts' open on various sites, and when something changes from 'backorder' to 'in stock', if I need/will need it, I order it right then and there.

No matter how good someone thinks they are (including myself) while standing in that box, all fine motor skills go out the window as soon as that timer goes off.
Took a year or so to loosen up.

I once watched a shooter go through about 250 rds (and change guns because he ran out of 1 caliber) before he finished his 3rd stage of a steel challenge shoot. Maybe 12 strings in?

Am I the only one who is more comforted by having components stored rather than ammo? Not logical but the way I feel nonetheless.

I remember when I used to think 1K of ammo, besides .22, was a lot.

Then I stopped shooting .22 as much and picked up other calibers to shoot more frequently and realized 1K rounds is nothing.

On a regular week, I will go through 500 rounds, and that's because I have to tell myself to stop.

No matter how good someone thinks they are (including myself) while standing in that box, all fine motor skills go out the window as soon as that timer goes off.
Took a year or so to loosen up.

I once watched a shooter go through about 250 rds (and change guns because he ran out of 1 caliber) before he finished his 3rd stage of a steel challenge shoot. Maybe 12 strings in?
I'll never forget the first Winter Nats I attended. They had three plate racks set up in the "Meat Locker". I was ankle deep in brass and some red in the face by the time I was done.

In all my days shooting I've met exactly one guy who picked up a gun and could just shoot it. The second match he shot, maybe a month from the first time he ever held a pistol, was a Winter Nats and he won his division. As good as he was he quickly lost interest, perhaps because it came so easily to him.

Back
Top Bottom