• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No elk but fun nonetheless

peterk123

NES Member
3 mile hike in to a basin. Spotted elk while glassing. Made a move on them but not luck. At dusk I had a big one bugling. He was heading to the meadows above, about a thousand feet above. Crashed for the night. Got up and heard him again. Hiked through the drainage to get as close as possible and tried to call him in but he wouldn't budge. What a great two days with a bow and a home on my back.

20220908_163844.jpg

20220908_185934.jpg

20220909_101552.jpg

Tomorrow I go for a morning hunt. Later in the day we are bringing our camping gear and heading to a reservoir to camp overnight. In the morning we get up and get to snag kokanee salmon. 35 per person. Plan to fill the freezer. Should carry us through the winter for our fish intake anyway.

My daughter lives in SLC and she’s hikes all over Utah. I’m always amazed by the Elk pics she send and then during hunting season you can’t find them anywhere. Hunt life for sure.

Elk with a bow. Wow. Impressive. The fact that you have to get so close to an animal that seems to cover an incredible amount of ground. This ain't like whitetail deer-standing all day. A client of mine has taken up elk hunting after a few successful big whitetail hunts in the midwest. He trains all summer for the hike. And he's a great archer to boot. I'm pretty sure he's still 0-fer on elk though.

Elk with a bow. Wow. Impressive. The fact that you have to get so close to an animal that seems to cover an incredible amount of ground. This ain't like whitetail deer-standing all day. A client of mine has taken up elk hunting after a few successful big whitetail hunts in the midwest. He trains all summer for the hike. And he's a great archer to boot. I'm pretty sure he's still 0-fer on elk though.
Not sure how long this is old body can carry 40 to 50 pounds for miles going up who knows how many feet. But I'm going to do it as long as I can.

Not sure how long this is old body can carry 40 to 50 pounds for miles going up who knows how many feet. But I'm going to do it as long as I can.
This is my fear.....should have done this hunt while I was younger. My back and legs can't do what they used to.

Now I that Im older I feel I'm stuck paying 6 grand or more on a private low land ranch when they come down for rifle season.

First world problems of working and raising a family while I was young and giving up my dreams! [banghead]

If you either pay for a private ranch or go with an outfitter and draw in a good unit in like Arizona, Utah or NM........the odds are quite high of killing a good bull. These states keep quality fairly high, and you wait years for tags, or pay highly for them.

OTC public land walk in hunts......yeah, odds are about as good as your back, legs, time you have to hunt, and willingness to work are.

If you either pay for a private ranch or go with an outfitter and draw in a good unit in like Arizona, Utah or NM........the odds are quite high of killing a good bull. These states keep quality fairly high, and you wait years for tags, or pay highly for them.

OTC public land walk in hunts......yeah, odds are about as good as your back, legs, time you have to hunt, and willingness to work are.
That's what makes it fun and rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom