• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Guns For Pot Smokers

A pardon for what? What has he been convicted of?
That was my take from the article I read.

But it’s kind of a play from trumps playbook… I forgot who he said he was going to preemptively pardon.

The executive branch should discuss pardon before a conviction.

I do agree with you though, how are you going ap pardon somebody who hasn’t been convicted or committed a crime. It’s just political theater

Last edited:
Interesting statistics from the 2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. The data indicate 14.2 million of 49.6 million MJ users (28.6%) have a Substance Use Disorder. SUDs are defined below. WRT drugs and alcohol, SUDs may have no relationship to safe use of firearms. Eating Disorders do, however, appear to relate to unsafe use of a fork.

5D49E3DC-0AA2-4B4C-ABB0-24C3797F3C9F.jpeg 7EAC0AF2-21E2-4209-8B91-B5B5892BE631.jpeg

Substance Abuse Disorder definition:

The DSM-5 SUD diagnosis requires the presence of two or more of the following criteria (as measured in the 2020 NSDUH) in a 12-month period (see Section 3.4.3.3 for comparison of SUD questions for 2020):

1. The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.
  2. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
  3. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects.
  4. There is craving, or a strong desire or urge to use the substance.
  5. There is recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home.
  6. There is continued substance use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused by or exacerbated by the effects of the substance.
  7. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.
  8. There is recurrent substance use in situations in which it is physically hazardous.
  9. Substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance.
  10. There is a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or the desired effect, or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance (i.e., tolerance).
  11. There are a required number of withdrawal symptoms that occur when substance use is cut back or stopped following a period of prolonged use.63,64 (However, the withdrawal criterion does not apply to hallucinogen use disorder or inhalant use disorder; neither of these substances have a withdrawal syndrome associated with discontinued use.)

it took a constitutional amendment to 1st ban alcohol, and then one more two un-ban that same fire-water.

so don't tell me some law is the right way to deal with ganja.

(oh ... and kudos for calling out the "long haul" not really applying to simple grass-over-intoxification.)

Edibles being the healthiest way to injest weed and a way that makes them look less drug like for folks new to it (who would never smoke anything), the delayed effects (so people may take more), all the products available now that it can be produced and sold out of the shadows, is starting to hit the radar. The trouble with eating stuff is when it comes on, you are in it for the "long haul" :).

Killing people? Nah. But someone who is drunk or with a heart condition, I bet it could be an aggravating factor. And so could taking an ibuprofen too, being scared, heart rate increasing activity, etc etc. Certainly isn't limited to weed.

The problem with edibles is the uncertainty in when the effects take place and how "strong" they are. This is very much based on several factors: strength of the edibles, when they are taken in relation to the last/next time food is consumed, the amount and type of food consumed and the physical activity after consumption which effects the digestion. This does not take into account the wildcards of drinking alcohol and smoking weed at the same time.

Edibles taken on empty stomach may kick in as soon as 30 to 45 minutes. Same edibles and dose taken say 30 minutes after eating a meal may take anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours to take effect and the effect may be more gradual and not as strong as an empty stomach.

How do I know this? Well let's say I may have an adult child who has a big appetite for edibles and we have discussed it on numerous occasions because I was curious.

I think some people summarily dismiss the medical benefits of pot without considering any evidence.

All of you that know me personally know that I was in a serous motorcycle accident when i was younger and have a prosthetic leg. I also have permanent nerve damage in my partial leg and had serious issues with the knee in my good leg before I got it done in 2017. There are times when the damaged nerves in my partial leg start firing off and partial legs starts twitching like a redlining motor and it gets bad. Happens mostly at night or when I have been sitting a lot. Only think that can stop it and calm things down is a little bit of the weed. Neurologist I see has no issues and offered to get me a medical card anytime I want one. Only other option is for them to do surgery and use a laser to disable some of the nerves.

I think some people summarily dismiss the medical benefits of pot without considering any evidence.

All of you that know me personally know that I was in a serous motorcycle accident when i was younger and have a prosthetic leg. I also have permanent nerve damage in my partial leg and had serious issues with the knee in my good leg before I got it done in 2017. There are times when the damaged nerves in my partial leg start firing off and partial legs starts twitching like a redlining motor and it gets bad. Happens mostly at night or when I have been sitting a lot. Only think that can stop it and calm things down is a little bit of the weed. Neurologist I see has no issues and offered to get me a medical card anytime I want one. Only other option is for them to do surgery and use a laser to disable some of the nerves.
Good for you to keep and learn from an open mind.

thats messed up. did you slip her some rohipnol to get back at her?

That whole night was probably the strangest trip I have ever been on. The show was great. All I remember is dancing with tons of Dead chicks and the girl who dosed me was pissed because I was ignoring her. I remember riding home after listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon CD and hearing things in the music I never heard before and never heard again. We stopped at a rest stop and I was standing there pissing at the urinal staring at the patterns on the wall. I was there so long they had to send some one in and get me. Just standing there staring at the walls. WTF?

That whole night was probably the strangest trip I have ever been on. The show was great. All I remember is dancing with tons of Dead chicks and the girl who dosed me was pissed because I was ignoring her. I remember riding home after listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon CD and hearing things in the music I never heard before and never heard again. We stopped at a rest stop and I was standing there pissing at the urinal staring at the patterns on the wall. I was there so long they had to send some one in and get me. Just standing there staring at the walls. WTF?
Ya, good old acid. Did the listening to Pink Floyd Animals on a 8 track at the Chelmsford Drive In. I don’t have a clue on what movie.
Wayyyy not cool. 😂

Drug War Victim Reparations

New York regulators want people who were affected by marijuana criminalization to get the first licenses to sell recreational pot in the state, an effort to redress what they see as the harms of the drug war and to prevent large companies from dominating the market.

New York isn’t the first state to try to give priority to people previously arrested for drug crimes, many of whom are racial minorities, when approving licenses for recreational marijuana sales.

Drug War Victim Reparations

New York regulators want people who were affected by marijuana criminalization to get the first licenses to sell recreational pot in the state, an effort to redress what they see as the harms of the drug war and to prevent large companies from dominating the market.

New York isn’t the first state to try to give priority to people previously arrested for drug crimes, many of whom are racial minorities, when approving licenses for recreational marijuana sales.
So NYC should put people with arrests for gun crimes who cut a deal that avoided PP status to the head of the NRC pistol permit line.

Now that restrictions are banned, I wonder if the NYC permits still have the large banner "Special Full Carry" at the top.

POT is far greater for you than alcohol, glad it helps a little bit! But.. I quoted you because I know of what's called the ICAN clinic at MGH Boston. Providers there specialize in nerve related pain following amputations and have a specific (TMR or Targeted Muscle Reinnervation) procedure that can possibly help along with revision of the residual limb. Happy to share more if that is of any interest!

POT is far greater for you than alcohol, glad it helps a little bit! But.. I quoted you because I know of what's called the ICAN clinic at MGH Boston. Providers there specialize in nerve related pain following amputations and have a specific (TMR or Targeted Muscle Reinnervation) procedure that can possibly help along with revision of the residual limb. Happy to share more if that is of any interest!

Well if I ever have to cut my leg off in order to escape a bear trap, I'd rather pour whiskey or vodka over the wound, than rub the stump with a dime bag of weed.

So NYC should put people with arrests for gun crimes who cut a deal that avoided PP status to the head of the NRC pistol permit line.

Now that restrictions are banned, I wonder if the NYC permits still have the large banner "Special Full Carry" at the top.

Portraying yourself as media (shouldn't be difficult to generate a realistic enough front), ASK New York about that. Say it's background info for an anti-gun article so they actually answer.

I think if people say weed helps them with whatever ailment, that is proof enough for me. If it works, do it.

My mother used to take a sip of holy water when she had a sore throat and swore by it. That’s good enough for me to support it being legal.

There are a s-load of drugs with side effects worse than what is being offered as arguments against use of MJ to theraputic purposes. Accepted side effects of legitimatelly prescribed and approved drugs can and do contain "increases risk of cancer"; "Risk of PML"; "Can cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome", "Thrombolytic side effects", etc. Clues you are getting this sort of drug include a "Dangerous Drug" on the prescription bottle, or the RN in a hospital putting on gloves before opening the package with your dose. If all of these dangerous drugs were banned because of the side effect, we'd see a lot more people dying sooner because they are used when the benefit outweighs the risk.

"In Maryland, where medical marijuana has been legal since 2014, voters will decide in November whether to legalize recreational pot use. As more states move to legalize pot, local officials are concerned that more stoned motorists will take to the roads.

It is illegal to drive while impaired by marijuana, but there isn’t any widely accepted standard for assessing pot impairment, as there is with alcohol. In some states, laws say drivers can’t have any THC—the psychoactive compound in cannabis—in their systems, while others set allowable levels. Maryland has no such law.

“It’s really important that our officers can be able to look at that person and say, OK, I think this is cannabis, and I think it’s affecting them to the point where they can’t operate a motor vehicle safely,” said Officer Jayme Derbyshire, who coordinates Montgomery County’s green lab program
."

Is this decision applied to medical marijuana too? I smoke some weed and take some CBD oil from time to time to help me with my anxiety and back pains. I was prescribed to use it by a doctor, and I like this kind of treatment because it doesn’t involve any artificial chemicals. Only natural solutions.
I also buy some hash from Buy Cheap Hash Online from Online Dispensary Canada maybe once in six months because it’s stronger than regular weed and works even better for me. The Lebanese one is very nice for smoking in a pipe.
Anyways, I don’t think it’s right to prohibit guns for all pot smokers, including the ones who use medical weed.

Is this decision applied to medical marijuana too? I smoke some weed and take some CBD oil from time to time to help me with my anxiety and back pains. I was prescribed to use it by a doctor, and I like this kind of treatment because it doesn’t involve any artificial chemicals. Only natural solutions.
I also buy some hash from Buy Cheap Hash Online from Online Dispensary Canada maybe once in six months because it’s stronger than regular weed and works even better for me. The Lebanese one is very nice for smoking in a pipe.
Anyways, I don’t think it’s right to prohibit guns for all pot smokers, including the ones who use medical weed.
You should always do as the .gov says and follow all BS laws to the T. They know what’s best, always. Also, don’t forget your poison vac and BS boosters, pharmaceutical companies are starving for money, their CEOs don’t yet own mansions in all 50 states.

Yes, it's the same. Federal law makes no differentiation between medicinal and recreational use. They may change, but I doubt it will change soon.

The real risk, even in MA where it's legal, is if you fill out a 4473 at a FFL. Question 21e,

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside. ATF Form

If you answer YES, you will automatically be disqualified from purchasing.

If you answer NO, you are committing perjury.

The chances of being caught by lying and saying NO are very small, but not zero.

Do as you think best, but you should be aware of the potential risks before you fill out any paperwork.

Substance Abuse Disorder definition:

The DSM-5 SUD diagnosis requires the presence of two or more of the following criteria (as measured in the 2020 NSDUH) in a 12-month period (see Section 3.4.3.3 for comparison of SUD questions for 2020):

1. The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.
  2. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
  3. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects.
  4. There is craving, or a strong desire or urge to use the substance.
  5. There is recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home.
  6. There is continued substance use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused by or exacerbated by the effects of the substance.
  7. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.
  8. There is recurrent substance use in situations in which it is physically hazardous.
  9. Substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance.
  10. There is a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or the desired effect, or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance (i.e., tolerance).
  11. There are a required number of withdrawal symptoms that occur when substance use is cut back or stopped following a period of prolonged use.63,64 (However, the withdrawal criterion does not apply to hallucinogen use disorder or inhalant use disorder; neither of these substances have a withdrawal syndrome associated with discontinued use.)
Man, I have a substance abuse disorder with guns.

Hear me out-

1. I have a persistent desire and unsuccessful efforts to cut down and control my gun use.
2. I spend a great deal of time in activities like work, which are necessary to obtain guns and ammo, use guns and ammo, or recover from guns and ammo use.
3. I sometimes have a craving or strong desire to go to the range.
4. My gun abuse disorder results in a failure to fufill major role obligations at work or home generally between November 15th and December 10th every year.
5. I have significant social and interpersonal problems caused by and exacerbated by the effects of guns.
6. Important social, occupational activities have been known to be given up due to my gun use, generally between the aforementioned November 15 and December 10th.

I had tennis elbow for a while, so I can also add:
7. I had continued gun use despite having persistent or recurrent physical problem that is likely to have been exacerbated by Gun use.
8. There is need for increased amounts of firearms to achieve satisfaction with guns.

So... Is that a no on my 4473?

Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs./Other ATF and FBI agent reading this post- please know this is satire and I do not have an addiction to my firearms.

Talking about use of and legalization of pot and guns is like talking religion or politics. People have strong opinions and many of them are inflexible and will never change their mind.

My piece of advice on this is quit posting here about using pot or having a medical card or anything like that. We all know NES is being monitored by leo, trolls and other jerks. We also know it is not that difficult to trace a username to a real name the more personal information you post here. So just shut up and do what you need to do and quit posting about it here. Also if you are a regular user of cannabis chances are you know others who are also. Get one of them who doesn't card about guns to go buy your stash for you. As far as the 4473, that's a decision you need to make or just buy used.

The Coming Clash Between Medical Marijuana and Gun Rights​

By Andrew Willinger on November 7, 2022Categories: Lawsuits, Prohibited Persons
On October 28, Delaware Governor John Carney vetoed a bill intended to allow individuals with a valid medical marijuana prescription to possess a gun under state law. The bill, H.B. 276, would have “ma[de] clear that an individual is not disqualified under Delaware law from possessing a firearm because the individual is a registered qualifying patient under the Delaware Medical Marijuana Act, if the registered qualifying patient is not” otherwise disqualified under state law. The bill had passed by comfortable majorities in the state house and senate.

In a letter explaining his decision to veto the bill, Governor Carney wrote that the bill “risks creating confusion about the rights of medical marijuana patients – under federal law – to purchase firearms here in Delaware.” As Governor Carney noted, marijuana remains illegal under federal law and federal law disqualifies unlawful drug users from possessing firearms. The Governor stated that, in his opinion, Delaware law already does not prohibit individuals from possessing guns based on medical marijuana use (because medical marijuana is not defined as a controlled substance under state law)—so, he believes the bill would both add nothing to the state’s framework and risk confusing those who are still prohibited from possessing guns under federal law.

[see link for more]

[Addendum: This past Friday, November 4, District Judge Allen Winsor issued an order granting the government’s motion to dismiss in Fried. The judge “assume[d] . . . that [medical marijuana users] are included in ‘the people’ the Second Amendment protects.” Because marijuana use remains criminal under federal law notwithstanding the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, the “tradition of disarming those engaged in criminal conduct” applies to medical marijuana users, the judge found. He also rejected the plaintiffs’ argument that the government was required to point to “an analogous situation in or around 1791 or 1868 where a person who only took actions for which they could not be criminally punished would be considered not ‘law-abiding.’” Judge Winsor found that this standard “demands too much specificity in the historical tradition” and would potentially make the government’s case for disarming any drug user turn on the likelihood of federal prosecution for a drug-specific offense (rather than simply whether that drug is scheduled under federal law). The burden of the current federal restriction, Judge Winsor said, was also “arguably less onerous” than historical laws which permanently removed Second Amendment rights. As to the government’s reliance on historical laws “restricting gun possession of the intoxicated” and mentally ill, Judge Winsor similarly agreed with the government that “habitual drug users are analogous to other groups the government has historically found too dangerous to have guns.” Finally, the judge rejected the claim that federal spending to enforce the “unlawful user” prohibition violates the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, even if such enforcement would have an “ancillary deterrent effect” on gunowners seeking to use medical marijuana.]

Back
Top Bottom