• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Guns For Pot Smokers

My point (you missed, probably due to short term memory loss) is if you are comfortable driving to NH and back to MA to buy fireworks, it's probably a greater risk to one's MA LTC than swiping your ID at Harvest Moonz.

I hear drinking during business hours is a prelude to short term memory loss.

We get it. You don't like the devils lettuce and would prefer alcohol to calm people down. Perhaps a prescription cocktail so long as it isn't those pot needles.

Back on topic though. There's an easy way to figure out just what happens when an ID is scanned at one of these facilities. Pull a packet capture live at the time of scan and have a running capture of the PC running the software the scanner communicates with. That PC capture may need to run long enough to see what it does in a 24hr cycle.

We must have a member here that has an 'in' with a facility who may also have a vested interest in getting to the bottom of this. I know for a fact that we have several members who would be capable of pulling said capture and interpreting it for the class.

I'll add myself to that second group.

There's an easy way to figure out just what happens when an ID is scanned at one of these facilities. Pull a packet capture live at the time of scan and have a running capture of the PC running the software the scanner communicates with. That PC capture may need to run long enough to see what it does in a 24hr cycle.

We must have a member here that has an 'in' with a facility who may also have a vested interest in getting to the bottom of this. I know for a fact that we have several members who would be capable of pulling said capture and interpreting it for the class.

I'll add myself to that second group.
Get the product name and version of the ID verification software the store is running and we're just a couple of easy darkweb steps away from getting the runtimes and decompiling.

I was talking with a NJ Deputy AG this past week about Bruen and he said the state is struggling with numerous firearms-related Issues. NJ’s random drug tests on state police is in question as their sensitive test detects cannabis use up to 30 days after use for daily users. His case is a state trooper back from a 2 week vacation that tested positive the first day back on the job, claiming unintentional consumption of cannabis edibles after getting drunk the Saturday of his vacation before the Monday test.

The cop was dismissed and the union is fighting the case, as the policy is based, in part, on the federal gun prohibition for MJ user. He had never failed a test in years and argues that proves he was not a habitual user. The AG’s office believes him but the case is getting into the 2-3 day vs 30 day window for positive results after a single vs daily use. While a policy requiring no positive tests could have been easily defended, adding in reference to the federal gun prohibition in the policy is mucking things up for the AG, which has some convoluted jurisdiction I didn’t understand. The Deputy AG figure the cop will have to take the hit to preserve the system, which will be quietly changed later.

This Deputy AG said when MJ was legalized and NJ started in-state sales, police were advised smell of MJ or observation of residuals from personal use were no longer probable cause for detention and search during a traffic stop. He said that while gun seizures were up and overall crime down since 2020, violent crimes are up. He speculated the MJ/traffic stop change had a lot to do with it.

I was talking with a NJ Deputy AG this past week about Bruen and he said the state is struggling with numerous firearms-related Issues. NJ’s random drug tests on state police is in question as their sensitive test detects cannabis use up to 30 days after use for daily users. His case is a state trooper back from a 2 week vacation that tested positive the first day back on the job, claiming unintentional consumption of cannabis edibles after getting drunk the Saturday of his vacation before the Monday test.

The cop was dismissed and the union is fighting the case, as the policy is based, in part, on the federal gun prohibition for MJ user. He had never failed a test in years and argues that proves he was not a habitual user. The AG’s office believes him but the case is getting into the 2-3 day vs 30 day window for positive results after a single vs daily use. While a policy requiring no positive tests could have been easily defended, adding in reference to the federal gun prohibition in the policy is mucking things up for the AG, which has some convoluted jurisdiction I didn’t understand. The Deputy AG figure the cop will have to take the hit to preserve the system, which will be quietly changed later.

This Deputy AG said when MJ was legalized and NJ started in-state sales, police were advised smell of MJ or observation of residuals from personal use were no longer probable cause for detention and search during a traffic stop. He said that while gun seizures were up and overall crime down since 2020, violent crimes are up. He speculated the MJ/traffic stop change had a lot to do with it.

Random drug testing or any drug testing without cause is insane. Talk about looking for problems.

Random drug testing or any drug testing without cause is insane. Talk about looking for problems.

I can see it for cops a little, *a little*, based on laws they are enforcing. If you are gonna be arresting people for cocain, you certainly shouldn't be using it for instance.

But they aren't arresting people for weed. It's not illegal by the laws they enforce. So for sure they shouldn't be testing for that. It's not a question their superiors should want an answer to.

Really most reasonably you wouldn't be testing anyone unless it's some special circumstance, ie cop had a problem with something (ie something legal, booze, weed, pills) and put themselves on the radar, so a condition of service becomes testing.

Really most reasonably you wouldn't be testing anyone unless it's some special circumstance...
As I stated in the prior thread, drug testing by employers is declining; Maine for example prohibits employers from testing for marijuana pre-employment, and few places bother -- primary exception being Federally (usually DOT or DOD) regulated positions. Amazon, for example, has dropped Marijuana from their pre-employment testing for all positions except drivers.

When my former Fortune 500 employer went private, new ownership gutted the employee handbook, ended pre-employment drug screening, and replaced the section about "random testing" with the following:
Employee Handbook 2.0 said:
Drug Policy
1. If you use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated. ... Coming to work drunk is bad judgment.
2. If you do not use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated.
3. If government rules and regulations say that drug testing is a condition of holding your job, the company is obliged to follow the law and your manager/supervisor will provide you with details.
The Woke crowd are also pushing to end testing (especially THC testing) as part of their quest for "equity".

My company is in finances and we do a lot of Government work. I had to take a drug test when I was hired 9 years ago. Subject to random drug tests after that. Never got tested again. Never seen anyone tested after being hired. Talk to management and they say we have to drug test you because of big brother. After that only if we suspect there is a problem.

Florida has Drug Free Workplace act- so employers tend to screen.

Two of the companies I worked for required pre-employment testing (local Ace hardware chain and Compucom fixing computers for Lowes)- although in both jobs I was driving non CDL company vehicles. Both the Ace chain and Lowes required all applicants for all positions to take pre-employment drug tests- which i still find odd.

At a big tech company, because of the government work (for a very small percentage), we all had to pass a pre employment drug screening. But oddly neither failing the test or a criminal record involving drugs was a barring factor - hiring manager would be made aware of any potential background problems and made the call, a drug test could be repeated (just need to pass one, eventually :) ).. same company had a policy where a substance abuse problem was treated as a health issue, ie take medical leave to "fix" it. That was 10 years ago, is probably more liberal now. I think the trend is less focus on this stuff in tech.

When Baruch & Lomb expanded their manufacturing facility in Rochester, NY in the mid-90s, they wanted to hire 200 new workers. After drug-screening 1000+ applicants, they only filled ~100 positions and dropped the test. Ever wonder why your contact lenses just don’t seem right?

Pre-COVID, my South Boston medical products company hired a new shift and the smell of pot wafting through the hallways was not uncommon during breaks/lunch. HR finally had to threaten random drug testing. The pot-heads just walked across the parking lot to smoke. We use highly caustic, reactive and flammable liquids in production by the gallons and spills are now routine - 1 in 7 days with a shutdown in 2021. The “XXX Days without an Accident” sign was taken down. After COVID started, we hired anyone with four functional limbs and sketchy paperwork to make FDA-restricted surgical implantable medical products. Not a place where you want high employees. Most are just unqualified and poorly trained, but the employee locker room reeks of weed from street clothing - at least 1 in 5 lockers…it’s hard to tell the odor is so strong.

When Baruch & Lomb expanded their manufacturing facility in Rochester, NY in the mid-90s, they wanted to hire 200 new workers. After drug-screening 1000+ applicants, they only filled ~100 positions and dropped the test. Ever wonder why your contact lenses just don’t seem right?

Pre-COVID, my South Boston medical products company hired a new shift and the smell of pot wafting through the hallways was not uncommon during breaks/lunch. HR finally had to threaten random drug testing. The pot-heads just walked across the parking lot to smoke. We use highly caustic, reactive and flammable liquids in production by the gallons and spills are now routine - 1 in 7 days with a shutdown in 2021. The “XXX Days without an Accident” sign was taken down. After COVID started, we hired anyone with four functional limbs and sketchy paperwork to make FDA-restricted surgical implantable medical products. Not a place where you want high employees. Most are just unqualified and poorly trained, but the employee locker room reeks of weed from street clothing - at least 1 in 5 lockers…it’s hard to tell the odor is so strong.
Looks like you have zero evidence of cannabis leading to lower quality work.

Florida has Drug Free Workplace act- so employers tend to screen.

Two of the companies I worked for required pre-employment testing (local Ace hardware chain and Compucom fixing computers for Lowes)- although in both jobs I was driving non CDL company vehicles. Both the Ace chain and Lowes required all applicants for all positions to take pre-employment drug tests- which i still find odd.

I had to take a drug test for a company when I got out of the Army. Being used to the way the military "must see the urine leave the body" cock watchers, I assumed this was the same. When the nurse showed me the bathroom, I gallantly held the door and said "After you". She asked what I was talking about. **What I meant to say was - "Aren't you required to observe personally the specimen leave the body?" What I actually said was "Don't you wanna watch?"*** She was less than amused or pleased by my comment, until another nurse explained the way the military tests people.

Nothing to do with the thread - I just really find this story funny and I enjoy telling it.

I had to take a drug test for a company when I got out of the Army. Being used to the way the military "must see the urine leave the body" cock watchers, I assumed this was the same. When the nurse showed me the bathroom, I gallantly held the door and said "After you". She asked what I was talking about. **What I meant to say was - "Aren't you required to observe personally the specimen leave the body?" What I actually said was "Don't you wanna watch?"*** She was less than amused or pleased by my comment, until another nurse explained the way the military tests people.

Nothing to do with the thread - I just really find this story funny and I enjoy telling it.
Been tested in the military several times. No one gazed at me.

Sounds like people had some interest in you and your penis.

I work with portfolio managers with 7 figure salaries who smoke weed. It's retarded to screen out candidates for pot. I can see not wanting to hire heroin addicts but drug testing for pot is f***ing retarded.

I would never submit to a drug test for work on principal. I'm basically leasing you my skills and time in exchange for money. Demanding my piss is just f***ing weird and a gross violation of privacy. What I do at home is none of your f***ing business. Staring of an employment relationship with a company saying "we don't trust you at all or respect your privacy at all and want to dictate your behavior even when off the clock" just tells me that working for them will be more of the same. You don't f***ing own me, I'm leasing my skills to you and that's it. Beyond that, f*** off.

nothing wrong with not wanting employees high while at work. No company let's employees drink on the job either. That's not the same as screening out people bc they tested + for pot that could have been smoked 3 weeks earlier.

if a literal retard can be POTUS I don't see why potheads shouldn't be able to churn out widgets.
We're dealing with people who hate other people, hate freedom and hate the ability to be able to make dangerous decisions on their own.

NES has a lot of FUDDs and a LOT of prohibitionists (except booze, the worst drug which is ok for reasons). People need to mind their f***ing business as much as possible.

We're dealing with people who hate other people, hate freedom and hate the ability to be able to make dangerous decisions on their own.

NES has a lot of FUDDs and a LOT of prohibitionists (except booze, the worst drug which is ok for reasons). People need to mind their f***ing business as much as possible.
Dangerous decisions that impact only themselves at no risk or cost to others? I'm fine with that. I'll just get insurance that's way cheaper if I don't make those choices. Heck, I only had a job in medical products R&D for 30+ years thanks to smoking, drinking and obesity.

I'm a little picky about those near me at work pouring concentrated Sodium Hydroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide around pure Chloroform and Methanol. Drunk, high or just stupid - I'll kick them out without a second thought.

I'm a little picky about those near me at work pouring concentrated Sodium Hydroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide around pure Chloroform and Methanol. Drunk, high or just stupid - I'll kick them out without a second thought.
Who is saying its ok to be high/drunk at work? Has a single person in this thread said theyre ok with that?

Back
Top Bottom