No More Guns At the Lunenburg Wal-Mart

I stopped by Wal-Mart this afternoon in Lunenburg, MA to pick up some ammo before going to the range up in Manchester. After waiting about 15 minutes for somebody to help me at the sporting goods register, I was finally able to make my purchase.

I noticed that there were no rifles or shotguns on display. I was told by the clerk that they were not big sellers in Lunenburg and had been dropped.

Hmmm....this may or may not be the case.

Just another reason to support your local smalll businesses especially gun shops.

Mark L.

I was told by the clerk that they were not big sellers in Lunenburg and had been dropped.

This seems to be the standard answer given instead of saying that the owners are trying to be PC and getting rid of anything related to firearms.
I've got the same answer from Sports Authority and other Wally Worlds around here.

The Wal Marts in Hadley and Northampton stopped carrying firearms, too. But, I was told they will continue to sell ammo.

They also told me, in both stores, that they will order any firearm out of their special order catalog for you, they just aren't stocking them anymore.

I wouldn't bother doing that though. I'd just stop by the Hinsdale, NH Wal Mart and not pay sales tax!

I expect that they'll be dropped very soon in the Chelmsford store, if they haven't already been. A couple of months after they opened the store, they removed about 80% of the firearms. The last time I was in there were a half dozen shotguns, a couple of rifles. All the ammunition was stored in a glass front display case with a sign blocking any direct view of what they had. I'd be suprised to learn that they've sold a single gun or more than a box or two of ammo since then. Can you say "self-fulfilling prophesy", boys and girls? I knew you could.

Ken

Good news is the Dicks Sporting goods that just opened up out our way has a better selection than Walmart ever did. The counter was very busy when I was in this afternoon.

Matt

A Dick's opened up right across the street from the Wal Mart in Hadley, too. They do have a great selection, but I just wish I didn't still have to go to Wal Mart for my .22 ammo.

The only "economy" .22 they carry is the Remington Thunderbolt. After a few hundred rounds, they start keyholing in my 6" 617 from all the leading. Looks like Wal Mart still has me as a customer for the Federal 550 round bulk pack .22's.

matt said:
Good news is the Dicks Sporting goods that just opened up out our way has a better selection than Walmart ever did. The counter was very busy when I was in this afternoon.

I stopped in at the Dick's in Natick when they opened up. Nice display of long arms, lots of ammo. But I'll probably still buy from FS, K&R or Callaghans. I know those guys.

went to Gardner MA Walmart today... no guns either... I hope the Rindge NH one doesn't go that way... I want a place to buy cheap ammo close by, if I ever get my LTC... I go monday for my appt with the chief, then wait.

went to Gardner MA Walmart today... no guns either... I hope the Rindge NH one doesn't go that way...
Sorry Matt but they have [sad2] I was up there this weekend, bought some ammo, and their guns were all gone too. The lady at the counter said she was pretty sure they would continue to sell ammo, but I wouldn't bet much on it. [frown]

There should be a very old thread here somewhere on Wal-Mart and guns/ammo. They've gone PC and removed all guns from most all stores (still in AK and a few other places according to reports). Also removed ammo from many stores, but seem to be keeping it in other stores.

All I can say is- good riddance. The lunenburg store has always
sucked for buying ammo anyways. I've had a total of 4 ammo
buying experiences in there, and only one of them wasn't
negative. In the straw that broke the camels back, it took upwards
of 30 min to buy 2 boxes of WWB. They paraded me and some
other guy through the "cigarette line" and had to give the cashier
special instructions to ring us up. What a pain in the ass.

-Mike

I bought 2 boxes of 30-06 at the hudson walmart. No problem at all, I paid at the ammo counter. Took less than 10 mn. They do not have guns.

The Wal Marts in Hadley and Northampton stopped carrying firearms, too. But, I was told they will continue to sell ammo.

!

justa FYI for western mass guys. The Noho one didn't have any ammo at all the last time I went in there. Havent checked the Hadley one though

Do you think it might have something to do with keeping at least one FFL-bearing employee on staff at each store with firearms?

Last edited:
Do you think it might have something to do with keeping at least one FFL-bearing employee on staff at each store with firearms?

I dunno but I heard that walmart was sick of getting fined by the ATF for paperwork mistakes so wallyworld is letting their FFL's either expire or just not selling any firearms/ammo anymore.

No guns at Fairhaven Wal-Mart

The Fairhaven Wal-Snot stopped selling guns about 6 months ago. I asked to clerk about it who informed me that some "Mother's group" was complaining that it set a bad example for Wal-Snot to sell guns since they were bringing their children through the store......

Those of YOU who shop at Wal-Snot should remember how many American manufacturing jobs have been lost since Wal-Snot started forcing American Manufacturers to set up shop in China to remain competitive....

Buy American.....don't shop Wal-Snot!

Sorry Matt but they have [sad2] I was up there this weekend, bought some ammo, and their guns were all gone too. The lady at the counter said she was pretty sure they would continue to sell ammo, but I wouldn't bet much on it. [frown]

Oh crap, you're kidding me! I've been waiting for the clearance sale when they decided to dump the stock... I heard the Athol WM had really low prices on their stock when they got out of the business.

Oh crap, you're kidding me! I've been waiting for the clearance sale when they decided to dump the stock... I heard the Athol WM had really low prices on their stock when they got out of the business.
Don't think you missed anything. The clerk said they pulled them off the shelf a few weeks back. Sounded like there was no sale. [frown]

What is the closest Walmart to Boston that sells ammo & guns???

I swung through Walmart in Methuen this weekend looking for the Federal bulk packs. Not only were there no guns, but they weren't selling ammo either. Asked some kid behind the counter where the ammo was, and he pointed to the paintballs and BB guns. I explained exactly what I was looking for, and he looked at me like I was asking for power tools at a Victoria's Secret. He said, "Walmart doesn't sell real guns."

What's sad is that he's almost right...

So I drove up to the Salem, NH store (thinking New Hampshire would, once again, provide me salvation from this evil, evil state) and while they at least had ammo, all the guns were gone.

I believe the Walmart in Natick doesn't stock guns or ammo either...

But in all honesty, besides the .22, I didn't see anything else worth buying. Yeah, maybe the centerfire stuff is a little cheaper than a normal Mass gun shop, but saving $3-$5 a box is hardly worth driving all over God's green earth to find a Walmart that still stocks ammo (and dealing with shopping at Walmart, which isn't my favorite experience in the world to begin with). I'd just as soon pay the premium and support my local gun shop!

But I still need my Federal bulkie fix, and I'm looking to pick up a cheap 10/22, so if you know a Walmart near Boston w/a gun section, please let me know. Curiously enough, Walmart is the only place I can find the CCI Stingers too - been to a half dozen shops in the last couple months, and no one had the Stingers in stock. Anyone have a good source for those?

But in all honesty, besides the .22, I didn't see anything else worth buying. Yeah, maybe the centerfire stuff is a little cheaper than a normal Mass gun shop, but saving $3-$5 a box is hardly worth driving all over God's green earth to find a Walmart that still stocks ammo (and dealing with shopping at Walmart, which isn't my favorite experience in the world to begin with). I'd just as soon pay the premium and support my local gun shop!

Actually, it's not even $3-5 a box if you compare to bulk prices availiable from
a halfway decent FFL. More like .50c to a dollar, and in some cases depending on caliber (eg .40 S+W) walmart is worse. Add in the fact that
they never seem to have enough ammo on hand, and the perceived cost savings goes right into the shitter. If I want 1000 rounds of 9mm, for instance, the chances of the local walmart having that much on hand are pretty close to zero. So if I have to drive to two different walmarts to get the desired amount of ammo, how is that saving money? [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom