• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more paper fa/10 accepted as of 3/15/2015

Sigh.

Too tired to go look for my last rant.

Folks in my ( and maybe one or two other towns ) don't HAVE PIN's so could never DO eFA-10's.

I have a stack of paper FA-10's (thanks again, Haven) and more firearms to sell...I guess I'll just look for a big-city PD that's handing out $5 Visa cards... (eye roll.)

Your welcome. Not that they will do you much good now. [frown]

So, just what are we supposed to do if we don't have a PIN?

If you use the EFA-10 system on a mac there are issues w certain browsers. My native browser is chrome and the .pdf generated by the MIRCS site ends up having security such that it does not open. Options are to eitheruse firefox (not chrome) or to remove the security via adobe acrobat (cannot be done w acrobat reader).

If you use the EFA-10 system on a mac there are issues w certain browsers. My native browser is chrome and the .pdf generated by the MIRCS site ends up having security such that it does not open. Options are to eitheruse firefox (not chrome) or to remove the security via adobe acrobat (cannot be done w acrobat reader).

What did you use to open the pdf?

Sigh.

Too tired to go look for my last rant.

Folks in my ( and maybe one or two other towns ) don't HAVE PIN's so could never DO eFA-10's.

I have a stack of paper FA-10's (thanks again, Haven) and more firearms to sell...I guess I'll just look for a big-city PD that's handing out $5 Visa cards... (eye roll.)

Might be worth reaching out to Comm2A. Seems to me that you may have standing to challenge this BS.

You would think a bill to end this would have been one of GOAL's top bills. I just went to their web site, and can't find the new legislation anywhere. Did it make the list?

Electronic only means you no longer have the plausible deniability (lost mail) of a transfer. In another word, the supposedly transaction-only database, over time, becomes an accurate registration database.

And each person's voluntary compliance is the only thing that perpetuate this transgression.

And what happens if a mass resides buys a long gun out of state and has to do the eFA-10? Can they do it?

Yes they can. BUT if they follow the online instructions (assuming they haven't changed it) and they bought from an FFL that uses a personal name (kitchen table FFL or a C&R FFL outside MA), they may end up facing interrogation by LE looking to prosecute for federal and state charges. One must be very careful using that website. I discuss this in my MA Gun Law Seminars and explain how to use it without making it look like you committed a crime.

I don't really get how this is so much worse than what was going on before. Registration (more or less) is a terrible thing, period

Here are a few reasons:
  1. Some people don't have PIN numbers which are required to use the portal. Previously they could use a paper form, now they can't. They essentially have no way of complying with the law.
  2. There are people who don't have a computer or internet access.
  3. The portal doesn't work properly with some devices
  4. There's no tech support line to help people with the portal if they have issues

For the uneducated, can some please give an explanation for why someone is licensed and doesn't have a PIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the uneducated, can some please give an explanation for why someone is licensed and doesn't have a PIN?

Person lives in tinbuck 3 and the PD has no internet/MIRCS and they're still issuing a horseblanket license. I don't think there are many of these left.

-Mike

Here are a few reasons:
  1. Some people don't have PIN numbers which are required to use the portal. Previously they could use a paper form, now they can't. They essentially have no way of complying with the law.
  2. There are people who don't have a computer or internet access.
  3. The portal doesn't work properly with some devices
  4. There's no tech support line to help people with the portal if they have issues

If you do not have a PIN call 617-660-4722

If you do not have a PIN call 617-660-4722

I just called this number and asked "What do I if I have a paper LTC that wasn't issued with a PIN?"

I was transferred to "Amy" at the Firearms Records Bureau. She said where it asks for a PIN to put in your last name and date of birth as it appears on our license.

Person lives in tinbuck 3 and the PD has no internet/MIRCS and they're still issuing a horseblanket license. I don't think there are many of these left.

-Mike
Unfortunately, our town is one of the "tinbuck 3's"
My LTC looks like a third grader laminated it together. It was also typed on a old time typewriter.
Many times when I presented it to buy ammo, I got a weird look and was told to hold on while they went to get their manager.

i had an issue using my mac when doing this...I got to the final step like you and then bam...locked out

The problem on the Mac is that the default pdf reader (Preview) won't display them because it says they're password protected. If you simply save the file and bring it up in Google docs, that will read them. Alternatively, you can install Adobe reader, but not really worth it.

Yes, the system sucks.

I just called this number and asked "What do I if I have a paper LTC that wasn't issued with a PIN?"

I was transferred to "Amy" at the Firearms Records Bureau. She said where it asks for a PIN to put in your last name and date of birth as it appears on our license.

That seems secure. No way anyone's going to get that info if they steal your wallet. [thinking]

The problem on the Mac is that the default pdf reader (Preview) won't display them because it says they're password protected. If you simply save the file and bring it up in Google docs, that will read them. Alternatively, you can install Adobe reader, but not really worth it.

Yes, the system sucks.

It is honestly easier to just use screen capture on both the mac & iPhone rather than worrying about the PDF.

If it really was validating, putting a space between your last name and DOB vs. no space . . . one of them would work and one would barf. Sounds like there is no real verification here.

That seems secure. No way anyone's going to get that info if they steal your wallet. [thinking]

The whole scheme isn't secure. Without a signature, anyone could forge transfers easily if they knew the other person's LTC # (perhaps a prior transaction, see it and memorize it, etc.). Jason admitted I was right about this a few years ago.

Unfortunately, our town is one of the "tinbuck 3's"
My LTC looks like a third grader laminated it together. It was also typed on a old time typewriter.
Many times when I presented it to buy ammo, I got a weird look and was told to hold on while they went to get their manager.

Same here. I tried to login, and got the expected results.

===========

The sale/transaction cannot proceed. Please correct the following errors:
Incorrect Owner information. Please check FID/LTC License No. and PIN and try again.

I think I still have a couple of blank FA-10 forms with consectutive serial numbers. I wonder if they are worth as much as the cancelled colt stock certicates, or as a historical record for the flobert??? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom