no response from town, similar to Newton case

appraiser

NES Member
OK guys/ladies, I need some info on that Atty in NH that got the Newton Chief dragged over the coals for not issuing a permit, or issuing a denial.

No it is not my situation, but a friend of mine applied in another town 2 months ago and has not received a permit or a denial in writing, although he has been told he was denied over the phone, but no letter.

I can't really elaborate without giving away too much info, but it is a southern NH border town about 20 mins east of me.

They are basing the denial on an arrest 30 years ago that did not result in a conviction.

Any point in the right direction stuff is appreciated

And another NH town joins the growing list of NH towns f'in with natural rights. Please tell your friend Good Luck for me. Also, let him know to contact his state senators and demand him/her to vote for HB 536. The vote is tomorrow.

Unfortunely I can see this spreading like wild fire across NH with the killing of the Chief and also a bunch of shootings lately in NH. Their was a killing in Grantham recently which is unheard of (domestic thing) but still anti's start using these things to further their cause.

Please keep us updated with the outcome. And tell your friend I wish him luck. I hope the chief is made to pay out of his personal accounts for this flagrant violation of the law.

Nashua Denied me for an arrest 25 years ago. The charges were dropped 1 month after the arrest. I didn't push the "UP" button and get a denial hearing.

I will be reapplying soon and will follow it up this time.

Malodave

Not sure if serious...

By not providing the denial in writing, the chief is violating the RSA, but since it's been more than 30 days your friend might be outside the window to appeal. Time to lawyer up!
RSA 159:6 said:
The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made.
So even if the original never made it to your friend, there is a copy on file.

Unfortunely I can see this spreading like wild fire across NH with the killing of the Chief and also a bunch of shootings lately in NH. Their was a killing in Grantham recently which is unheard of (domestic thing) but still anti's start using these things to further their cause.
Anti's who feel that "only trained responsible people should be allowed to carry a gun outside of there home not every one and there mother", those kind of anti's?[rolleyes]

One way to keep capricious denials from spreading in NH is for applicants to follow up exactly 14 days after putting in the application, and if the reason given in writing seems unreasonable, immediately appeal. Every chief of police who ends up paying Nappen's bill out of his personal checking account is a chief who is going to think twice before exercising "discretion" on the next guy to apply.

By not providing the denial in writing, the chief is violating the RSA, but since it's been more than 30 days your friend might be outside the window to appeal. Time to lawyer up!

So even if the original never made it to your friend, there is a copy on file.

Anti's who feel that "only trained responsible people should be allowed to carry a gun outside of there home not every one and there mother", those kind of anti's?[rolleyes]

One way to keep capricious denials from spreading in NH is for applicants to follow up exactly 14 days after putting in the application, and if the reason given in writing seems unreasonable, immediately appeal. Every chief of police who ends up paying Nappen's bill out of his personal checking account is a chief who is going to think twice before exercising "discretion" on the next guy to apply.

Yes exactly you got it..

So is that really what happens, or does the town pay for it?

Course, even if the town does pay for it, that's probably a pretty good way to get the townspeople pissed off at the
Chief.... [laugh]

-Mike

Course, even if the town does pay for it, that's probably a pretty good way to get the townspeople pissed off at the
Chief.... [laugh]

-Mike

It is almost like the CoP's want Mr. Nappen to become a rich man lol.

The denying official is personally liable. If the town wants to reimburse him for those expenses, that's up to the BoS.

As you noted, that's a good way to piss off the voters, especially in a small town where that cost is going to be felt personally by every taxpayer.

Back
Top Bottom