• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Step On Snek !!

I don't know....it seems to have an affinity for climbing. It continued up, around and over a three bulb flood light mounted over the door to the left of the picture then came back down to the recycle bins. I placed a lounge chair with a high back in front of the bins to guide him back to the ground then captured him in a barrel for relocation. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Looking for eggs and hatchlings most likely. The black racers will start climbing the walls at our place when the nests are full. One night a couple years back my wife went out to walk the dogs and there was one climbing up the door trim that scared the crap out of her. Went out to look and there were 4 or 5 on that side of the house going nuts. One had a baby bird in it’s mouth and the other had knocked another out of a nest over an outside light.

Wtf. I don’t have a problem with snakes but I also wouldn’t want one climbing in my window.
What did Brandon spikes say he caught heat over.. I don't have a problem with gays or spiders but if ones in my shower were gunna have problems. I feel that way about snakes in my window. If I looked up and there's a snake looking back it's go time.

I walked out the shop door this evening to this guy climing the wall.

A non venimous eastern black king snake. This particular snake is just about 5 feet long when stretched full length on the ground and weighs several pounds. I put it into an empty barrel and relocated it to another location on the property.
In the process of getting it into the barrel, it climbed up over the edge of a rain collection trough and took a good long drink of water. I could see it sucking the water into its mouth. It was very thirsty.

Good on you for treating it humanely and not killing it.

It took me some time to track down and digitize this photo of me as a kid with my pet Eastern Kingsnake that has two or three full coils wrapped around my neck:

Me_Kingsnake.jpg

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

Good on you for treating it humanely and not killing it.

It took me some time to track down and digitize this photo of me as a kid with my pet Eastern Kingsnake that has two or three full coils wrapped around my neck:

View attachment 477948

View attachment 477949

Ya, no sense killing beneficial snakes. I'd rather have a hundred king snakes than two mice. Mice can and will ruin anything with their mere presence.

Now if it was a venomous snake it might have received one of these image.jpeg

Ya, no sense killing beneficial snakes. I'd rather have a hundred king snakes than two mice. Mice can and will ruin anything with their mere presence.

Now if it was a venomous snake it might have received one of theseView attachment 478006
Growing up in Arkansas, we had a neighbor who was put in the nursing home. She left behind a calico cat, who took up at our house. We had multiple generations of cats out of that one.

We had a big black speckled king snake under our shop building for years, and the cats never messed with him. But, any time I saw a circle of momma cats in the yard, I knew there was a copperhead in the middle (or sometimes a cottonmouth).

My weapon of choice:

1c5dd697-9d9e-48fd-aae8-f8cd1024abec_1.6ac4e99b00c5643f192f0a90e54710da.jpeg

My wife walked out the door of the shop ten minutes ago and another Eastern black king snake was just in front of the door step. It was not the one pictured above but about two feet shorter and 1/3rd the diameter. Probably a female.
I'm glad they are still hanging around.

I think it is resting in a shaded spot between a couple of half barrel planters.

I think I might have lost my big guy this winter. The moles have gotten out of control in the yard and I’ve seen a couple mice in the basement.[frown]

Looking for eggs and hatchlings most likely. The black racers will start climbing the walls at our place when the nests are full. One night a couple years back my wife went out to walk the dogs and there was one climbing up the door trim that scared the crap out of her. Went out to look and there were 4 or 5 on that side of the house going nuts. One had a baby bird in it’s mouth and the other had knocked another out of a nest over an outside light.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4mtr_ADC1V4

Lol, the sound effects....[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom