No victim, no crime? Right NES?

What are your thoughts on regulation of home shooting ranges

• This is completely acceptable, action should only be taken once there is a victim

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • There should be zoning/building regulations when it comes to home shooting ranges

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • People should only use designated shooting ranges (just leave NES now)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/in...-things-st-pete-man-builds-gun-range-in-yard/

Thoughts?

I have nothing wrong with backyard ranges (had one at my old place in Massachusetts, Gasp)... I also have nothing wrong with backyard ranges being regulated. I know, I know, statist pig bla bla bla.

So of those of you who have no issue with this until someone gets shot, would you be completely cool with that guy having that setup facing your house?

Mike

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/in...-things-st-pete-man-builds-gun-range-in-yard/

Thoughts?

I have nothing wrong with backyard ranges (had one at my old place in Massachusetts, Gasp)... I also have nothing wrong with backyard ranges being regulated. I know, I know, statist pig bla bla bla.

So of those of you who have no issue with this until someone gets shot, would you be completely cool with that guy having that setup facing your house?

Mike

Well, you said it.

2vnjevc.jpg

This is true. Maybe we should have a statist pig scale from 1-10 then... I definitely think I'd fall somewhere before a 5.

Mike

I am not okay with this at all. It's just stupidity. If being stupid results only in harm to yourself, go for it, I fully support darwinism at work, when your stupidity affects others, I object.

Laws are not the solution. Allowing the community to handle it is a better idea. You can't legislate personal responsibility not stupidity.

So how does the community handle it, mob rule? Or asking their town to pass a bylaw that stipulates zoning and inspection requirements when it comes to home shooting ranges?

Mike

i'm fine with people have a range in their back yard as long as its safe. but looking at the map and this guys back stop makes you wonder if the guy is an idiot. i wouldn't want to live behind him. i don't like the idea of more laws and regulations. its a tough one for sure how about the first tme his bullet leaves his property his neighbors get to tie him up and whip him with in an inch of his life. seriously look at his back stop !!!

So how does the community handle it, mob rule? Or asking their town to pass a bylaw that stipulates zoning and inspection requirements when it comes to home shooting ranges?

Mike

They probably can't, because there are laws against it. See the problem? More laws is not the solution. Stupidity and lack of personal responsibility are a byproduct of excessive legislation. People start to think they can do whatever, absent thought, so long as it isn't specifically illegal. Sadly, this is because thinking on your own seems to be discouraged by the government in the first place. They know better then you and me, right? Well, if his 'range' isn't illegal, the government must know better than him, so it should be okay. Thought not required.

They probably can't, because there are laws against it. See the problem? More laws is not the solution. Stupidity and lack of personal responsibility are a byproduct of excessive legislation. People start to think they can do whatever, absent thought, so long as it isn't specifically illegal. Sadly, this is because thinking on your own seems to be discouraged by the government in the first place. They know better then you and me, right? Well, if his 'range' isn't illegal, the government must know better than him, so it should be okay. Thought not required.

Laws against assault? Trespassing? I think its pretty good that we can seek relief for damages in the courts when people do those things. So we are better of just having anarchy than any government oversight (probably shouldn't have asked that)?

Mike

Poll choices leave a little to be desired.
It is not 'completely acceptable' and there doesn't necessarily have to be a victim to take action. A stray round is all that should be needed, IMHO, to take action. At that point if he doesn't build a berm which is more likely to contain any strays then I'm guessing the neighbors could take civil action against him.
The sad part is there are probably already 50 zoning by-laws he is violating. Noise would be one of them.

It looks like he set it up and hasn't fired a shot.

He's testing peoples' tolerance.

If he lived behind me and set the backstop up so that a shot might enter my property I'd go talk to him.

I'm betting he's testing peoples' tolerance and has no real intention of shooting anything into that backstop.

Especially in FL where everyone I know there is armed.

I was just stirring the pot with the title... Many on NES believe no victim no crime. See any of the drunk drive threads (synopsis: driving shitfaced shouldn't be a crime, only causing damage to life or property as a result). I consider this to be along the same lines.

Mike

Laws against assault? Trespassing? I think its pretty good that we can seek relief for damages in the courts when people do those things. So we are better of just having anarchy than any government oversight (probably shouldn't have asked that)?

Mike

Dude, you even got the thread title correct. How did you forgot so quickly that there is a difference between things with victims and without?

Also, your poll sucks. You don't have to think something is acceptable to think there doesn't need to be government involvement and more laws.

Haven't voted in your poll, but I loved the article. What a douchebag that kid is. He must think he is such a super operator that he could never miss that pallet backstop![laugh] I definitely am not in favor of adding any more laws, but when you have nothing in place at all, you do risk douchebaggery such as that kid in a crowded subdivision. If only common sense was actually common we wouldn't need so many damn rules/laws!

Had this very discussion with Mrs CrackPot this morning. She was reading about the case in Florida. She fell into "there outta be a law" school. Sigh...

No laws but maybe all of his neighbors should make their own range in the same direction at this guy's house.

How about instead of bitching to the media, the government, the local barber, the stray dog, and anyone else that will listen, they help him build one that is a little more safety conscience? Bitching about it and the government is not the way to fix this issue.

Obviously the guy is an dope or he is just stirring the pot. What if he is truly a moron and starts using his new range after his neighbors ask him not to? It's clearly a public hazard...so there is nothing anyone can do until he violates some other law? If I am his neighbor, I have no recourse unless I take the "law" into my own hands.

I got no problem with idiots as long as the only kill or injure themselves. How can I protect myself and family against idiots like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom