• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No victim, no crime? Right NES?

What are your thoughts on regulation of home shooting ranges

• This is completely acceptable, action should only be taken once there is a victim

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • There should be zoning/building regulations when it comes to home shooting ranges

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • People should only use designated shooting ranges (just leave NES now)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Freedom is just that - as long as you are not physically harming someone else. Feelings? Cry me a river, if we have to jump through hoops over feelings then we are truly lost.

It's his property, if he wants to build a range, a three sided, 12 color shed then so be it using 1x3 strapping then so be it.

IF he harms someone or something - then deal with it. I have guns in my house, it's a fair assumption they get loaded from time to time - anyone think a 300 Weatherby Magnum with 180 grain Barnes-X bullets is going to stop in anything less than several feet of dirt? So, while loading the rifle, if I show poor muzzle discipline, and close the bolt and have a slam fire or just pull the trigger with my booger hook that round leaves my house and passes completely though the neighbors house. I'm not at my range, so does that mean no guns in residential areas either?

Back to the range - I wouldn't do it. I have a range in my back yard and intend to extend it to over 100 yards, shooting off my deck. Of course my backstop is a mountain and the target area is a pile of pine logs 6 feet thick and 12 feet wide.
See, one of the advantages that (some) humans have over animals, aside from disposable thumbs, is our capacity of higher thought. This is our ability to logically reason through problems instead of seeing everything as black and white. For instance, we are (or at least should be) able to look at GM-GUY, who has enough room on his property to build a 100 yard range, and say that as long as he has a decent berm and isn't a dick to his neighbors, it's perfectly ok for him to shoot in the back yard. In the same light, we can look at a guy with a postage stamp-size yard and deduce that he is a moron if he thinks it's safe to shoot there.

How is this complicated? I'm amazed you guys don't complain about the safety rules - it's my right to sweep everyone at the range, right? Don't question my freedom unless I actually shoot someone!

I didn't see anywhere in the article where the guy was teaching 10 years old to shoot at it.

I know a ton of guys in here that would have no problem with me shooting in to a backstop like he had that was facing their house.

I didn't see in the article that he was teaching his ten year old grandson either; I spoke metaphorically. Let me express my concern differently. If it were my friend Mike with that setup facing my house I wouldn't worry. I know him, I know how well he shoots. If it were someone I didn't know or didn't trust -- I would worry. I'm an RSO at the club I belong to. It seems that hardly an event goes by that I don't have to quietly speak to someone because they're pointing the muzzle of a loaded gun somewhere other than where they ought to.

On the rare occasion when I go to the public range it's worse. Nothing like having a guy grab a handgun from the table at the back of the room, insert a magazine and rack it while walking towards you as you're passing between him and the line of ports. People's carelessness with firearms appalls me. I've had one negligent discharge, and it was negligence, not accidental, my fault. I intend to never have another.

Freedom is just that - as long as you are not physically harming someone else. Feelings? Cry me a river, if we have to jump through hoops over feelings then we are truly lost.

It's his property, if he wants to build a range, a three sided, 12 color shed then so be it using 1x3 strapping then so be it.

IF he harms someone or something - then deal with it. I have guns in my house, it's a fair assumption they get loaded from time to time - anyone think a 300 Weatherby Magnum with 180 grain Barnes-X bullets is going to stop in anything less than several feet of dirt? So, while loading the rifle, if I show poor muzzle discipline, and close the bolt and have a slam fire or just pull the trigger with my booger hook that round leaves my house and passes completely though the neighbors house. I'm not at my range, so does that mean no guns in residential areas either?

Back to the range - I wouldn't do it. I have a range in my back yard and intend to extend it to over 100 yards, shooting off my deck. Of course my backstop is a mountain and the target area is a pile of pine logs 6 feet thick and 12 feet wide.
If your house is downrange you do not have to get shot to be harmed.

2vnjevc.jpg

masterbaitin'

- - - Updated - - -

if you are following the simple rules of gun safety those failures won't be an issue

This, just because he has a back stop doesn't mean he has a bunch of knuckleheads over blasting away like it is an NES shoot. I shoot in my back yard all the time, but it is typically just my wife and I, and I am not worried about one of us missing the back stop.

+2

Freedom does not mean zero responsibility to others or zero common sense.

It's OK to drive drunk until I actually hit someone?

Freedom does not mean zero responsibility to others or zero common sense.

It's OK to drive drunk until I actually hit someone?

It should be. How do you define "drive drunk" anyway? The BAC level at which each individual will experience worsened driving skills varies for each individual. Heck, some people can't drive sober as well as others can drive drunk. Ban those people from driving at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom