• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non CCL holder as Visitor at a Range

At a legal and legit MA range a CCL holder brings guns/ammo and a non-CCL visitor. Is it legal for the visitor to shoot under the CCL holders supervision?
Not talking about range policy, just the law if under these conditions can a non-CCL shoot?

Perfectly legal. Per MGL, you must stay by her side the entire time she is handling or in the presence of guns (unless they are locked up) and ammo. You are supervising her.

What is "a legal and legit MA range"? I've only been shooting since the mid-1970s and have no idea what makes a range "legal and legit"? There are no licenses for a range, no PD approvals, etc. Only building permits are required just like when anyone builds something on their land.

At a legal and legit MA range a CCL holder brings guns/ammo and a non-CCL visitor. Is it legal for the visitor to shoot under the CCL holders supervision?
Not talking about range policy, just the law if under these conditions can a non-CCL shoot?
I have been at MA Firearms School in Holliston many times with my non licensed family member as a guest. Some of them sign up for a MA license training class right there

I have also received confirmation from the range owners that it's all perfectly legal and withing range rules.
I thought it was the case but hate to assume and commit a felony on recorded video.. lol

Perfectly legal. Per MGL, you must stay by her side the entire time she is handling or in the presence of guns (unless they are locked up) and ammo. You are supervising her.

What is "a legal and legit MA range"? I've only been shooting since the mid-1970s and have no idea what makes a range "legal and legit"? There are no licenses for a range, no PD approvals, etc. Only building permits are required just like when anyone builds something on their land.
This
The legal term is "established" which has no definition in the regulations

Depending on her age (minor) and other factors, I'm going to say might not be the best idea to let her post pics on IG, Snapchat, etc, etc.
Sad that she can't, but just the reality that we live in now.
Edit: Just re-read that she is an adult, so disregard above.
Yea, so anyways....pics??

Last edited:
Depending on her age (minor) and other factors, I'm going to say might not be the best idea to let her post pics on IG, Snapchat, etc, etc.
Sad that she can't, but just the reality that we live in now.
Edit: Just re-read that she is an adult, so disregard above.
Yea, so anyways....pics??
Sad times when law abiding peeps have to be careful what they post obeying the law. I agree though that being discrete is a good idea

Beyond not a felon you have some issues if they are not residents and what country they are from/status
Just something to keep it mind
Just make sure they have an approved form 6 NIA if they are in the US on a visa from a foreign country. Those visiting from nations where the US does not require a visa are good to go..

Last edited:
Not quite getting your point. Please expound.
Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

There is no legal description of an exempted range except that it is "established"
So as long as you have a range setup by improving (making determined changes to) the land by adding permanent backstop, target stands with clear firing lanes then it is established.
This is only good in towns and areas with no discharge prohibitions and obviously it needs to be reasonably and safely located

There is no legal description of an exempted range except that it is "established"
So as long as you have a range setup by improving (making determined changes to) the land by adding permanent backstop, target stands with clear firing lanes then it is established.
This is only good in towns and areas with no discharge prohibitions and obviously it needs to be reasonably and safely located
I wonder if an AD barrel (Home Depot bucket filled with sand) as a loading/unloading backstop in a home would qualify. An AD at home is now a per-se PP creating offense if you home is within 500ft of an occupied building and do not have permission for all occupants or 150 ft from a roadway. Perhaps with a sign "Functional Test Firing Range" above the bucket :D

I wonder if an AD barrel (Home Depot bucket filled with sand) as a loading/unloading backstop in a home would qualify. An AD at home is now a per-se PP creating offense if you home is within 500ft of an occupied building and do not have permission for all occupants or 150 ft from a roadway. Perhaps with a sign "Functional Test Firing Range" above the bucket :D
All you need is permission from one occupant or owner - but you are right about the 150'; I missed documenting that.
Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

From each building....

And thanks for the technical correction. Much appreciated.
with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established

For an outdoor range you only need the permission of the owner or occupant of the land on which you are shooting

Back
Top Bottom