• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-licensed interstate sale/transfer???

Hello All:

I am new to the site and have a few questions in regards to local, state, and federal firearms laws. I am a non-licensed PA resident that wants to sell an M1 to a non-licensed WI resident. He has a FFL dealer who is willing to accept the rifle.

1) Will his dealer do the transfer or must I ship from a PA FFL to a WI FFL and take care of the transfer here in PA?

2) Must the rifle be shipped to a (01 FFL) or (03FFL), either or okay?

3) Does just one transfer have to be done on receiving end by his FFL in WI?

I understand that it is legal to ship a longarm interstate (USPS) as long as it is shipped to address on the FFL, but that some FFL dealers will not accept firearms from non-licensed individuals.

I do not have his FFL in hand yet and therefore cannot contact him regarding their policy.

Please help clear this up!!! I have applied for my class (03)FFL and do not want to screw myself by being in violation of any laws!!!

Thank you much!

Max

You can ship the gun directly to his FFL (assuming his FFL in WI isn't a
whiner) and then he can fill out the 4473, pass nics, etc, and then those
fries are done.

Some FFLs are adamant about getting shipments only from another FFL, but
that is -NOT- required as part of federal law.

-Mike

In response to question 2 it must be transferred through a type 01. Type 03 FFLs are only for collecting and not for doing transfers of firearms between individuals.

I understand that it is legal to ship a longarm interstate (USPS) as long as it is shipped to address on the FFL

Max, it is also legal to use any common carrier to ship a firearm (handguns included) to an FFL in interstate transactions.

If you are not an FFL,

USPS: long guns only.

UPS, FedEx, Emery, whoever: any firearm as long as their policy allows.

The good thing about using the Postal Service is that using Registered Mail for shipping firearms provides the highest level of security, bar none; and the Postal Service cannot enact firearm shipping policies more restrictive than Federal law.

Back
Top Bottom