• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non mass compliant handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOF

Can anyone direct me as to what the law is in Massachusetts (I am a mass resident) as it relates to carrying and/or defending myself with a handgun that is not mass compliant ? I have a class A Ltc

Check the Dept of Public Safety website but that will tell you only what dealer's can sell not what you can own. Mag capacity and a few other things for semi autos might jam you up in that situation.

Last edited:
Can anyone direct me as to what the law is in Massachusetts (I am a mass resident) as it relates to carrying and/or defending myself with a handgun that is not mass compliant ? I have a class A Ltc
There are no such laws. When you say "mass compliant" as it relates to a handgun, I assume you are referring to MGL 140 123 para 18-21 and 940CMR16 which are all restrictions on MA DEALERS, not gun owners. The only "compliant" that exists is that it is not an assault weapon.

Last edited:
short of a having a post 6/94 high capacity magazine in your gun, there is no restriction on what you can carry or use WRT handguns.

Any rules regulations or made up out of thin air regulations only apply to dealer sales

short of a having a post 6/94 high capacity magazine in your gun, there is no restriction on what you can carry or use WRT handguns.

Any rules regulations or made up out of thin air regulations only apply to dealer sales
I'm sure it was a typo, but for the uninformed the date is September, not June, 94.

There are no such laws. When you say "mass compliant" as it relates to a handgun, I assume you are referring to MGL 140 123 para 18-21 and 940CMR16 which are all restrictions on MA DEALERS, not gun owners. The only "compliant" that exists is that it is not an assault weapon.
Best answer. Applies to Dealer sales only.

Don't buy anything with post ban mags that are greater than 10 rounds, or is a definition of an assault weapon.

Dennis is correct. An example of the type of gun that I am referring to would be a Colt Defender .45 ACP.

You can carry whatever you want. No issues.
If your magazine holds more than 10 rounds it has to have been produced before Sept 1994.

"Mass compliant" is in reference to what a dealer can sell you. So, most dealers will not sell you a brand new Glock. But there is nothing that prevents you from buying one from a private party or legally possessing one if you bought it out of state.
If you lived in New Hampshire, bought a Glock, and moved to Mass, it is legal for you to bring it with you. You would be guilty of being a below average thinker for both moving to mass and liking Glocks, but who am I to judge? The 15 round mags that came with it are illegal. You have to buy 30 year old mags and pay 5 times what they are worth if you want more than 10+1
If your brother/ friend/ uncle etc. moved from Florida and brought his Glock, you can buy it.
If your neighbor the cop bought a Glock and realized he doesn't like the way it feels in his hand, you can buy it.
If you find a brand new in the box Glock in the classifieds, for sale, you can buy it.

I am using "Glock" as an example, but the same applies to all "non list" handguns.

If your magazine holds more than 10 rounds it has to have been produced before Sept 1994.

"Mass compliant" is in reference to what a dealer can sell you. So, most dealers will not sell you a brand new Glock. But there is nothing that prevents you from buying one from a private party or legally possessing one if you bought it out of state.
If you lived in New Hampshire, bought a Glock, and moved to Mass, it is legal for you to bring it with you. You would be guilty of being a below average thinker for both moving to mass and liking Glocks, but who am I to judge? The 15 round mags that came with it are illegal. You have to buy 30 year old mags and pay 5 times what they are worth if you want more than 10+1
If your brother/ friend/ uncle etc. moved from Florida and brought his Glock, you can buy it.
If your neighbor the cop bought a Glock and realized he doesn't like the way it feels in his hand, you can buy it.
If you find a brand new in the box Glock in the classifieds, for sale, you can buy it.

I am using "Glock" as an example, but the same applies to all "non list" handguns.

Every bit of that is correct, (to the best of my personal knowledge).

What you can't do as a MA resident is buy a handgun, MA compliant or not, from another state without shipping it through an FFL in MA. That's federal law. So any thoughts that you can go into NH and buy a Glock and bring it home should be quickly forgotten. Federal law states that you must take posession of handgun from FFL in your state of residence.

And then you go down the rabbithole of "What constitutes residency?". ATF defines it somewhat differently than some others, and if you have a vacation home in NH, and you find an FFL up there who's willing to sell to you based upon your posession of tax receipts for that NH property - well, then you can take it back to MA. Legally, (assuming you can legally posess a handgun in MA).

Except it is a bad example since Glocks are on the list. They just are an "unsafe consumer practice" to sell/transfer per 940CMR16 as the AG has arbitrarily determined that the loaded chamber indicator is inadequate.

CZ would be a better example :)

Except it is a bad example since Glocks are on the list. They just are an "unsafe consumer practice" to sell/transfer per 940CMR16 as the AG has arbitrarily determined that the loaded chamber indicator is inadequate.

CZ would be a better example :)
Yeah, I know that. But most of the folks asking the question want to buy a Glock, and can't get it at Bass Pro or Cabelas so think they can't have one.
I wouldn't buy one if I could put a quarter in a gumball machine and it dropped out.
But my Colts were purchased before they were "on the list"

• You can find a law stating that a licensed dealer who sells such a gun is committing a crime.
  • You can find a regulation (CMR) stating that a licensed dealer selling a gun not on the AG list is an unfair and deceptive consumer practice subject to penalty
  • You cannot find a law stating that that you are allowed to defend yourself with a non-compliant handgun
  • You cannot find a law stating that you must serve applesauce with pork chops, but are free to do so if you wish

One shall not concern him/herself with any such list, if a MA FFL can legally sell/transfer it to you then you can carry and posses.
True, but you can also carry a non-compliant one not transferred by an FFL (moved into state, inherited) or even on the FFL transferred to while (s)he, not you, broke the law or violated the CMR.

The only other thing to remember is that if you carry an off-list gun, per MGL you must also wear this:
1639762563448.png

It's also advised if stopped by police to shout at them, "I have a gun, and I know how to use it!!" This will put them at ease, knowing that you are adequately trained.

Yeah, I know that. But most of the folks asking the question want to buy a Glock, and can't get it at Bass Pro or Cabelas so think they can't have one.
I wouldn't buy one if I could put a quarter in a gumball machine and it dropped out.
But my Colts were purchased before they were "on the list"
But, if you should happen to come across said gumball machine in your travels, do be a good chap and PM me the location…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom