• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-recorded private sale

headednorth

NES Member
TL;DR: Is there a way for a licensed person in MA to legally possess a pistol that was bought via private transaction but never FA10'd?

INB4 "dont invite the man into your life/all transactions should be this way/thats how it is in XYZ states", etc. Genuinely "asking for a friend" so OP is not goin to jail.

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine who bought a pistol from a family member some years ago. Just exchanged cash, no FFL involved and no fa-10 done. He's licensed but not really into guns as a hobby, hasnt shot in years and isnt well versed in MA firearms law. Seller was a retired LEO. His question to me was how to go about making it legal. I dont think he carries anyway but his policy with this particular pistol is that it just doesnt leave the house.

Under the circumstances, is there anyway to "make it legal"? Can he just fill out an efa10, click "register" and leave seller info blank? Not the worst thing in the world having a firearm the gov doesnt know about, but his thinking is if he were ever forced to use it, there would be legal consequences, which while better than the alternative he would like to avoid. I wasnt 100% sure so I refrained from guessing.

When I moved to MA, I had some guns already and like a good boy scout I registered them with the state via eFA-10 after I got my LTC-A permission card (you don't have to if you move in with them). Makes it much easier for the SWAT boys to come door to door and collect them to be melted into garden tools when Beto wins in 2024.

When I moved to MA, I had some guns already and like a good boy scout I registered them with the state via eFA-10 after I got my LTC-A permission card (you don't have to if you move in with them). Makes it much easier for the SWAT boys to come door to door and collect them to be melted into garden tools when Beto wins in 2024.
I hope this is sarcasm.

So you brought firearms in with you before aquiring a permission slip. Rebel.

So you brought firearms in with you before aquiring a permission slip. Rebel.
Know your MA laws like the good MA cucks we are - "New Residents: The laws exempts move in and possession in the home for new residents for sixty (60) days."

To answer your original question, yes there is. Someone could buy a frame privately and then assemble a working gun.

The statute of limitations on MGL 140 128B is only 6 years. If he’s forced to use it he should say nothing, but he’s not going to jail either way over this. Of course the LTC is at risk but it always is in those situations. The much easier move is for the friend to just use a registered gun for defense if he’s concerned.

It’s the seller who violated the law if he didn’t register it, anyway. The buyer is not obligated to do anything. Based on your description you cannot “make it legal” because it already is legal.

I don’t know why everyone gets so excited about registering all their guns. Of course the cops treat the database like gospel but we all know it’s very incorrect. LTC-Americans love complying with laws so much they comply with laws that don’t even exist.

Know your MA laws like the good MA cucks we are - "New Residents: The laws exempts move in and possession in the home for new residents for sixty (60) days."
But the State takes 90+ days to issue a gun license. That is assuming they don't require you to take a safety class because you don't have proof of one.

Last edited:
But the Stste takes 90+ days to issue a gun license. That is assuming they don't require you to take a safety class because you don't have proof of one.
doesn't matter. My gun safety class instructor said as long as you applied for it at your PD within the first 60 day amnesty period you're good. MA wants new long term cucks, doesn't want to mint felons before they're even settled.

doesn't matter. My gun safety class instructor said as long as you applied for it at your PD within the first 60 day amnesty period you're good. MA wants new long term cucks, doesn't want to mint felons before they're even settled.
What he told you isn't true per MGL, however it is true wrt the way things really work.

If "some years ago" is over 6, then he's better off just shutting the f*** up and enjoying the gun. :)
Unless the seller is still around there's no way to unring that bell and honestly a lot of attempts to unring the bell might even create more problems vs just shutting ones mouth.

See Commiewealth v. Cornelius, MA SMC (Supreme Marsupial Court).

This exemption does not apply to high capacity firearms or magazines (pre-ban mags still require an LTC to possess)

Thanks for the replies (and keeping the shenanigans to a minimum).

Not sure when the transaction happened, I took it to be years ago. Seller was/is his father-in-law, who may not even still be alive for all I know. This thread reminded me of the fact that the burden is on the seller but it didnt occur to me when we talked. Also didnt think to mention to him about mag capacity possibly being an issue.

Guy was just looking for some info and I didnt want to steer him wrong so I said if it was important enough for him, to talk to a lawyer who specializes in MA firearms law. He's not a huge gun guy so he may just be content to let it sit in a drawer.

Thanks for the replies (and keeping the shenanigans to a minimum).

Not sure when the transaction happened, I took it to be years ago. Seller was/is his father-in-law, who may not even still be alive for all I know. This thread reminded me of the fact that the burden is on the seller but it didnt occur to me when we talked. Also didnt think to mention to him about mag capacity possibly being an issue.

Guy was just looking for some info and I didnt want to steer him wrong so I said if it was important enough for him, to talk to a lawyer who specializes in MA firearms law. He's not a huge gun guy so he may just be content to let it sit in a drawer.

If he may have acquired it during the "blue card" days, I'd fugedaboutit, use the firearm and not fa-10 it. If anything is ever said in the future, he should simply say that the blue card was filed. End of story.

If he may have acquired it during the "blue card" days, I'd fugedaboutit, use the firearm and not fa-10 it. If anything is ever said in the future, he should simply say that the blue card was filed. End of story.
Only a tiny fraction of blue cards were NOT scanned into the database, contrary to what most believe . . . and my info came directly from Ham Perkins in a FTF discussion about 5 years ago.
What’s this registration & LTC
you talk of ?

I’m still working off my 1970 FID card
Says good indefinitely, unless suspended or revoked

Did I miss something in the last 52 years?
Yes, our lives and lifetime FIDs were all revoked in 1998. The gov't giveth and the gov't takith!

I’m still working off my 1970 FID card
Says good indefinitely, unless suspended or revoked

Did I miss something in the last 52 years?
lethal-weapon.gif

It’s the sellers responsibility to the transfer. I wouldn’t want a pistol that was in my name out there in someone else’s hands.
"Seller was a retired LEO."

What makes you think it was ever in the seller's name? Could have been one he "confiscated".

Back
Top Bottom