• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-recorded private sale

If he may have acquired it during the "blue card" days, I'd fugedaboutit, use the firearm and not fa-10 it. If anything is ever said in the future, he should simply say that the blue card was filed. End of story.
Only a tiny fraction of blue cards were NOT scanned into the database, contrary to what most believe . . . and my info came directly from Ham Perkins in a FTF discussion about 5 years ago.
I assume ntoty's point would be that since they don't know which blue cards were not scanned, the argument in court would be that it was absolutely filed via card and it's the state's fault that it is not in the database.

Only a tiny fraction of blue cards were NOT scanned into the database, contrary to what most believe . . . and my info came directly from Ham Perkins in a FTF discussion about 5 years ago.

Yes, our lives and lifetime FIDs were all revoked in 1998. The gov't giveth and the gov't takith!

And a large amount of cards were destroyed in a basement flood before they scanned what remained.

I assume ntoty's point would be that since they don't know which blue cards were not scanned, the argument in court would be that it was absolutely filed via card and it's the state's fault that it is not in the database.

Precisely, everyone knows that the card database is incomplete. Everybody.

This is what would worry me most in this scenario.

You do realize that is a possibility with any used gun? even ones from a dealer? there’s no gnomish mysticism that most people can use to find out empirically if a gun was stolen or used in a crime etc…..

How do you guys get outside the house without being afraid of getting arrested by a gust of wind?

"Seller was a retired LEO."

What makes you think it was ever in the seller's name? Could have been one he "confiscated".
Touche! I have been chewed out by two senior command officers (not from my PD and they worked for two different agencies) when they learned that all of my guns were registered. They were firm believers in not registering guns! BTW, both are now deceased.
True, but also cards were likely lost in the Mail, some paper forms also were likely missing/accidentally destroyed/unreadable.
And a large amount of cards were destroyed in a basement flood before they scanned what remained.
I posted the actual number previously here, but going from memory I believe it was 30K records. However, >1 million records were scanned into the current database back in 1997-8.
You do realize that is a possibility with any used gun? even ones from a dealer? there’s no gnomish mysticism that most people can use to find out empirically if a gun was stolen or used in a crime etc…..

How do you guys get outside the house without being afraid of getting arrested by a gust of wind?
Touche! FFLs have NO WAY to check the LE list of known stolen guns prior to selling them.
I have blue cards if you want to DIY. LOL. Jack.
LOL, I have at least one blank one. I recall scanning it and posting it here on NES many years ago.

I think the onion skins were from dealer forms. The Blue Cards where unpunched 80 column IBM style cards punch cards, but on blue card stock used for an alternate purpose. In the old days, you could have punched them on an 029 keypunch and they would have worked in a standard card reader of the time.

So you're saying that prosecuting attorneys are real good at
proving beyond a reasonable doubt
that a blue card wasn't filed for a particular old transaction?

I have blue cards if you want to DIY. LOL. Jack.
Fill it out with an old date,
get into the FRB office area on a pretext,
drop it behind a filing cabinet,
wait for the next time they replace the carpet...profit!

When I moved to MA, I had some guns already and like a good boy scout I registered them with the state via eFA-10 after I got my LTC-A permission card (you don't have to if you move in with them). Makes it much easier for the SWAT boys to come door to door and collect them to be melted into garden tools when Beto wins in 2024.

I did that. I moved here in 2002 with a Colt series 80. If I knew about MA policies, I would have brought in 100 of them and retired on the spot.

Does this mean firearms bought back in say the 80s would appear on the list of firearm transactions if you requested a copy from the state?

Never mind.

Please try and reverse the brain washing that has caused you to think that to be legal the state must know about it. As has already been said in the thread, we do NOT have registration (like NY or HI or...). It is not unlawful to possess a gun that the state does not know about. The burden of recording the transaction is almost always on the seller.

Move on. Pretend you are a free man

So you're saying that prosecuting attorneys are real good at
proving beyond a reasonable doubt
that a blue card wasn't filed for a particular old transaction?

Fill it out with an old date,
get into the FRB office area on a pretext,
drop it behind a filing cabinet,
wait for the next time they replace the carpet...profit!
If you're dealing with failure to file a blue card chances are the statute of limitations expired years ago.

Please try and reverse the brain washing that has caused you to think that to be legal the state must know about it. As has already been said in the thread, we do NOT have registration (like NY or HI or...). It is not unlawful to possess a gun that the state does not know about. The burden of recording the transaction is almost always on the seller.

With OP mindset how do I unregister after my move??

I know.

[rolleyes]

To be fair, when I moved from CT to GA, after spending decades in CT, I was surprised to find out:
1) I didn't have to register any of the firearms I brought with me
2) I could legally posess any/all of them in my home or my vehicle without a permit
3) I could purchase firearms from an FFL without a permit or paperwork
4) I could purchase firearms in a private sale without a permit or paperwork

There are a host of other differences, but after being a gunowner in CT for years - the above truly surprised me.

**** EDIT ****
3) I could purchase firearms from an FFL without a permit or any STATE paperwork, (4473 required).

Apologies, I was thinking state differences, and that sentence by itself wasn't correct as written.

Last edited:
People need to learn to not be afraid of their own shadow.

OP's friend has done nothing illegal so this is all just pant-shitting. I've done a FTF transaction where the seller claimed that he forgot to save a copy of the eFA10 - whether it's true or not, I couldn't care less; it would never occur to me to try and make legal what's already legal.

To be fair, when I moved from CT to GA, after spending decades in CT, I was surprised to find out:
1) I didn't have to register any of the firearms I brought with me
2) I could legally posess any/all of them in my home or my vehicle without a permit
3) I could purchase firearms from an FFL without a permit or paperwork
4) I could purchase firearms in a private sale without a permit or paperwork

There are a host of other differences, but after being a gunowner in CT for years - the above truly surprised me.
Moving to NH from MA, I knew all the above (it's the same up here in NH), but admit that it certainly felt strange to walk out of a gun shop with only a receipt for the sale (or a receipt for the transfer fee for the gun I had shipped to the local FFL). It takes some getting used to after living in a Communist state with a boot on one's neck for so long!

[laugh] I passed along a question that was posed to me that I didnt feel qualified to answer

Back
Top Bottom