Non-Resident CCW post-Bruen

Got my unrestricted non-resident last month. Just under 5 months from application submission to ltc in the mail box. Ridiculously long process, but they do give them out.
I've had mine since 2017. It took less than 6 months, and other than the amount of time, the process wasn't painful. Of course, now that I have it, I have to pay $100/year to keep it, and that's a bit painful.

Myself and my wife received our unrestricted LTC’s a few months ago. Like others have said, it takes about 6 months to go through the process. The worst part is you must appear in Chelsea for your first time and then it’s every 6 years after. All in between year are done through the mail.

With the new Supreme Court ruling they probably won’t say or change anything in the process but will issue unrestricted more frequently now.

Just wondered what would happen if I applied for a non-resident CCW permit in MA now that SCOTUS has trounced everyone with Bruen.
While I fully expect courts to buck Bruen, setting that aside.

Having a different process for residents/ non-residents for a fundamental right violates privileges and immunities.

A non-resident would be entitled to a 131A LTC for 6 years and be able to buy ammo.

Having non-residents pay for a 1 year license to where they can’t even buy ammo wouldnt pass muster.

But like I said, expect these clowns to violate whenever and wherever they can.

Posted on another forum telling NY to get f***ed.
This lawyer has played a big role in several major lawsuits on behalf of the second amendment.

Maybe some MA lawyers should do the same. I hope it’s already in the works.

View attachment 631580View attachment 631581
Loss of qualified immunity. That'll have them getting compliant real f****** quick. S*** gets real when the money is coming out of your own pockets.

Posted on another forum telling NY to get f***ed.
This lawyer has played a big role in several major lawsuits on behalf of the second amendment.

Maybe some MA lawyers should do the same. I hope it’s already in the works.

View attachment 631580View attachment 631581

1983 claims do not work for Non-Residents of a state due to the 11th Amendment. A non resident can have Standing for all other possible claims other then those that are financial.

I sent in my non-resident application at the end of March. I was contacted with my interview date at the end of April. My interview was scheduled for the first week of July (Post Bruen). I've previously held resident and non-resident LTC's in MA. My last non-resident LTC was restricted and expired a few years ago, I didn't bother renewing because of the hassle and restrictions. I decided to give it a shot again this year, the timing worked out great. I received my unrestricted NR LTC last week. I was told at my interview that I would receive my LTC in 90 days, it took about two weeks.

I decided to apply for non-resident MA for the first time and sent my application last week. Currently I have RI resident town pistol permit, CT and UT CCW. I go shopping to MA, my church located in Boston, plus I have to pass through MA every time I go from Northern RI to Aquidneck Island. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Update 09-01-22... They received my application in the last week of July. Did not hear anything from them, so I called Chelsea Office and after 43 minutes of waiting got a live person to ask about the appointment. Nice lady offered me to schedule an appointment over the phone and the earliest they had was on November 21st. I hope to get the license by Christmas.

Last edited:
I decided to apply for non-resident MA for the first time and sent my application last week. Currently I have RI resident town pistol permit, CT and UT CCW. I go shopping to MA, my church located in Boston, plus I have to pass through MA every time I go from Northern RI to Aquidneck Island. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
You won't need all those excuses to get the unrestricted NR LTC.

Got my unrestricted non-resident last month. Just under 5 months from application submission to ltc in the mail box. Ridiculously long process, but they do give them out.
How long after your in-person "interview" at MA FRB HQ in Chelsea did it take for you to get it in the mail?

How does this work if the turnaround time is almost a year, but the license is only FOR one year?

what are people putting in the reasons description for unrestricted? I have half a mind to just check the "unrestricted" box and leave it blank.

Almost exactly 60 days.
I'm on day 70 from the interview and nothing. I called FRB this morning they said it's still pending and I should hear something "by the end of the month." Looks like they're going to make me wait the full 90 days. Likely a result of post-Bruen application flooding.

I'm on day 70 from the interview and nothing. I called FRB this morning they said it's still pending and I should hear something "by the end of the month." Looks like they're going to make me wait the full 90 days. Likely a result of post-Bruen application flooding.
MA has taken up to 8 months for me.
They are all over the map. They always have been courteous and nice though. Unless their staff has changed, or unless they are short staffed, I don’t think it’s malicious at all.

I would be interested to see if they have a post-Bruen surge.

MA has taken up to 8 months for me.
They are all over the map. They always have been courteous and nice though. Unless their staff has changed, or unless they are short staffed, I don’t think it’s malicious at all.

I would be interested to see if they have a post-Bruen surge.
Oh, in total since I mailed in my application I'm in over 7 months. Took roughly 2 months to get an appointment date. The appointment date was 3 months out. Now I've been waiting just over 2 months since my appointment. I agree that everyone at FRB was nice and courteous.

I just don't understand why they have this f***ed up process in place lol. Even anti-gun states like CT allow you to do everything by mail and it only took 2 months to receive my permit. MA has you jump through so many hoops and wait forever.

Oh, in total since I mailed in my application I'm in over 7 months. Took roughly 2 months to get an appointment date. The appointment date was 3 months out. Now I've been waiting just over 2 months since my appointment. I agree that everyone at FRB was nice and courteous.

I just don't understand why they have this f***ed up process in place lol. Even anti-gun states like CT allow you to do everything by mail and it only took 2 months to receive my permit. MA has you jump through so many hoops and wait forever.
CT has been by mail since 2000 or 2001. Before that, you had to go to any town or city and get a 5 year pistol permit (valid for that town only) and then you had to go the the state police to get an additional license as an upgrade to a statewide 5 year permit.

Every 5 years, same thing.

MA has always been 1 year for non-residents Since 1954 when they created the resident license and the non resident license distinction.

MA used to be $10 a year for non-residents. It went to $50 about 20 years ago, and Willard the turd Romney raises it to $100 in 2004.

MA was mailbox to mailbox until 2010 when they went from the large bookmark flimsy license to the credit card license. That’s when the in person nonsense started. It used to be every year in person until about 5 years or so ago.

Update: Day 95+ from the interview and my application is still pending and my cashier's check hasn't been cashed yet. Been over 235 days since mailing in my application.
So after calling and emailing the MA FRB I FINALLY got a response. Turns out my home state of NJ isn’t returning their calls to complete my background check. They’ve apparently been trying for over 2 months 🙄. Now usually I’d be inclined to believe this excuse as NJ is indeed an extremely incompetent state at every level. However, I’ve managed to acquire 6 CCW (including in anti-gun states) and haven’t had this problem. This is especially annoying since it appears regular turnaround times are occurring sub-60.

Anywho, at least the issue has been pinpointed. Now to bother NJSP to answer their emails.

Attachments

• EBA21465-2430-49C2-9F98-121AE575CB55.jpeg
    EBA21465-2430-49C2-9F98-121AE575CB55.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom