• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-resident CCW?

I did a search, but the info is: 1) overwhelming, and 2) not specific and to the point.

I just moved to NH. I have a carry permit. It took 5 minutes to fill out the form and was quickly approved.

Since I live so close to the MA border (I'm in the Pelham/Nashua area), I thought I would be responsible and get a MA carry permit in case I accidentally cross the border during my weekend travels. I have a simple question: will I get a permit based on my above situation? I don't carry large sums of money, I have no direct threats to my person, etc... I simply exercise my 2nd amendment rights because I believe a right not exercised is a right lost. Will I be denied? Some posts say no, some say yes.

The only way to know for sure is to apply. My guess would be that you would get a restricted LTC, but I haven't done it myself.

You will not be denied if you have a clean background.

You need to make a case why it should be unrestricted (only type you can "carry" on) otherwise you'll be restricted to possession in a locked container/trunk while driving in MA. $100/year, annual trip/interview at Chelsea to apply. Merely stating you believe in the 2nd Amendment will NOT get you an unrestricted LTC!

OK, that's kinda what I wanted to know. "Involved" is fine, I just didn't want to go through a bunch of BS only to get denied in the end.
Not denied, just restricted to the point of meaninglessness.

For me, the limited value of a "restricted" LTC-A is not worth the cost (more about the annual interview than the $100 fee). YMMV.

For me, the limited value of a "restricted" LTC-A is not worth the cost (more about the annual interview than the $100 fee). YMMV.
Only meaningless if you are not going to bring your guns into MA. Otherwise, the permit makes the difference between "no problem" and finding out that $100 buys about 20 minutes worth of legal time, maybe less. And, if you were to carry on a restricted permit, it could buy you grief, but nothing approaching the grief of carrying (of any sort, including carrying in a locked trunk) without an LTC at all.

Of course, you have another protection - your carry permit is "expired" at the end of its term of validity, or earlier if administratively done (for example, after notification of a move). There is a lifetime protection against the criminal charge (it becomes a civil file) if you have an expired permit and have not been denied a renewal or become statutorily ineligible (but don't expect police to know this... some prosecutors didn't even know until they called the FRB to ask "is this claim from the defense counsel true?").

I did a search, but the info is: 1) overwhelming, and 2) not specific and to the point.

I just moved to NH. I have a carry permit. It took 5 minutes to fill out the form and was quickly approved.

Since I live so close to the MA border (I'm in the Pelham/Nashua area), I thought I would be responsible and get a MA carry permit in case I accidentally cross the border during my weekend travels. I have a simple question: will I get a permit based on my above situation? I don't carry large sums of money, I have no direct threats to my person, etc... I simply exercise my 2nd amendment rights because I believe a right not exercised is a right lost. Will I be denied? Some posts say no, some say yes.

You won't be denied but unless you bring the dog and pony show, you will get a restricted license, which is better than nothing... but still sucks in its own unique way.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

It's not meaningless unless you think that completely escaping multiple felonies/having a stay out of jail card is meaningless.

-Mike

So, if you have a clean background, live on the border, as I do, and in mass just about everyday, unfortunately, they won't restrict you. So what do you put as an explanation as to why you need it, if second amendment is not enough, lol. I'm going to go for mine, send in the packet of info soon.

I have a friend who lives in Enfield, CT, about .3 mi from the MA border.

He used to get his license every year, but it just wore on him. It was a full day wasted every year. Its not a renewal. Its basically a new application every year. When he found out that an expired license reduced the risk from a felony to a civil offense, he has decided not to bother renewing. He doesn't consciously carry into MA and he's given up his membership at Agawam. But sometimes he just "oozes" over the border a bit. The closest gas station, liquor store and dry cleaner to him are in MA. The lure of cheap MA gas is sometimes too strong to resist.

The last 3 people I know who applied for a non-resident permit in MA all got the target and hunting restriction, all with clean records. I got the same thing a few years ago and haven't re-applied since. Many believe that there is no such thing as an unrestricted non-resident permit anymore.

The last 3 people I know who applied for a non-resident permit in MA all got the target and hunting restriction, all with clean records. I got the same thing a few years ago and haven't re-applied since. Many believe that there is no such thing as an unrestricted non-resident permit anymore.

Supposedly there are people out there with unrestricted non res Ltc's? So even if I get one, my 17 rounds mags are no good in mass I'm guessing, haha

Under "current management" unrestricted LTCs for NRs are being issued, but you must present a "need" that satisfies FRB. See my prior info on this.

MA does NOT recognize the US Constitution, it is null and void in MA . . . so using that as your reasoning is a non-starter.

No, I don't know what magic words trip the "need" for unrestricted.

It is a convenient belief some people adopt to feel less bad about their restriction, however, special people still get the unrestricted non-resident LTC.

It is a convenient belief some people adopt to feel less bad about their restriction, however, special people still get the unrestricted non-resident LTC.

Well yeah, no shit. Most people aren't 'special' though.

- - - Updated - - -

Under "current management" unrestricted LTCs for NRs are being issued, but you must present a "need" that satisfies FRB. See my prior info on this.

MA does NOT recognize the US Constitution, it is null and void in MA . . . so using that as your reasoning is a non-starter.

No, I don't know what magic words trip the "need" for unrestricted.

Isn't this the same thing as the permit not being issued?

Isn't this the same thing as the permit not being issued?

Not at all.

No LTC means that it is illegal to bring any handguns or large-cap long guns/mags into MA for ANY reason.

Restricted LTC-A means that you can possess the above in MA (exception being "newer than 9/13/1994 DOB" large-cap mags or so-called AWs are banned for everyone), but you can not "carry" a handgun.

I know... but the vast majority of people who get the permit do so to carry a handgun. I just think that having things like 'special words' and 'certain needs' when you talk to the whisky-dicks in Chelsea is in essence rendering the license pointless, because they are only going to give you a real (unrestricted) license if you are on the short list, and most people aren't. You say the current management is different... even if it is, how long do you really think it will last?

I have my appt for a non-res LTC this week. For those that have been through it, any ideas how long I should anticipate it will take? I'm trying to schedule the rest of my business day after. For whatever it is worth, my time between mailing the application and the date for my appointment was approximately 4 months.
Hoping I can figure out the magic words in time...

Had my interview this week, interviewer was very nice and helpful; total time less than 30 minutes including waiting at security for a while. The visitor lot was full so I was forced to park in a resident spot and managed to get a ticket in those 30 minutes. According to the interviewer non-resident licenses are being treated much like renewals and having held a long-time resident unrestricted LTC, I am likely to receive the same. I guess I'll know in a month or two when my license shows.

From my very limited experience (and without having received my license yet), I can only echo some of the prior comments:
dress professionally
articulate something in your comments about how you carry valuable material on a frequent basis; try to give them a reason to issues a ALP from their point of view
be friendly, the interviewer is there to help process your application and doesn't make the decision nor is he at fault for the current laws in MA.

Despite the friendly interviewer, I remain very happy to have moved to a free state.

Thanks, I wish I carried valuable things, or worked in the ghetto... Actually no I don't wish I worked in the ghetto, haha.

I am just in MA almost everyday, and I don't want to have to worry about driving home to drop of my gun, just to drive down the street into mass. I'm only a couple hundred yards away from the border.

Maybe if I do get a restricted ltc, the next time I renew they'll change the restriction??

Thanks, I wish I carried valuable things, or worked in the ghetto... Actually no I don't wish I worked in the ghetto, haha.

I am just in MA almost everyday, and I don't want to have to worry about driving home to drop of my gun, just to drive down the street into mass. I'm only a couple hundred yards away from the border.

Maybe if I do get a restricted ltc, the next time I renew they'll change the restriction??

Not unless you have a "suitable reason"!

Those that had unrestricted for years as MA subjects and escaped the state appear to have a much better chance of getting unrestricted NR LTCs.

Anyone have an updates on recently issued MA non-resident LTC's in terms of restrictions? We're making an offer on a home in NH so might be a non-resident soon...

Don't bother with hearsay (and nobody here is going to print their secret firing solution online) just drop the money and call up Jason Guida.

I never thought I'd see myself typing that. Ever. [laugh] But if anyone knows how to work that system, it's him, because he used to be on the other end of that stick.

-Mike

Not unless you have a "suitable reason"!

Those that had unrestricted for years as MA subjects and escaped the state appear to have a much better chance of getting unrestricted NR LTCs.

Anyone have an updates on recently issued MA non-resident LTC's in terms of restrictions? We're making an offer on a home in NH so might be a non-resident soon...

See my post above yours.

The current Director of FRB told me that she weighs heavily for those that were MA subjects and held Unrestricted Resident LTCs for years without issues. Otherwise you need to explain your unique reasons why you should be given that privilege during your interview.

Back
Top Bottom