Non-resident firearm transport/possession in CT?

So in the near future I have to attend a family funeral in Connecticut. I am traveling there from Maine the morning of the service, and heading right back to Maine after it's over (a lot of driving but I'd rather not stay overnight in CT or MA) I'm hoping to be in CT for no more than like six to eight hours max.
I routinely carry, and can do so legally in both ME and NH. MA and CT are the issues.
Am I within the law if I unload my handgun, at the NH/Mass border and place it in a locked case in the trunk for the duration of my drive through MA and the time spent in CT for the funeral service? I figured I would leave it unloaded and in the case until I cross the border back into NH on the drive home. Or is there no legal way to pull this off?
What about long guns? Same situation?

There is lots of material on CT gun laws out there but not a lot on how they pertain to non-residents visiting the state that I can find.
Can anyone provide me with some info?

@dcmdon is your best bet for CT knowledge.

Since CT is your destination, FOPA does not apply IF CT doesn't allow possession without a CT license. I don't know anything of CT gun laws, so I (and most of us here) can't really answer your question DCMDon is/was an FFL in CT and is very knowledgeable of their gun laws.

I wish I had followed through with actually getting a CT non-res permit like I had planned a few years ago. That would really simplify everything. I had the packet sent to me and even had it partially filled out, then it disappeared during the move from my apartment to my house... probably got accidentally thrown out or something during the chaos.

From your description, FOPA doesn't apply. FOPA allows you to transport unloaded, secured firearms if you are legal in your ORIGIN and your DESTINATION. Maine is your origin, Connecticut is your destination. You're legal in Maine, you're NOT legal in Connecticut.

Connecticut does not recognize anyone else's permit. The only good thing about Connecticut is that they will issue non-resident permits to anyone unless they have reason not to, (known drug abuser, prior felony arrest, etc).

Unfortunately, as you said, you haven't applied, and it's too late to do so in time for this trip.

I kinda figured from the get go I was SOL as far as CT and MA go, but as someone who literally carries all day, every day, the idea that I can't have my carry gun at all during the trip, including the portions of it in the states where I legally can carry, because I'm going to be stuck in CT for as few hours as I possibly can, is pretty annoying.

It's not for no reason I haven't been to CT in fifteen years...

Like others have said, FOPA wouldn't apply.

CT does not allow transport of a handgun without a Pistol Permit (PP) except under very specific circumstances.

Here is the statute.
Chapter 529 - Division of State Police

In summary, acceptable exceptions that you might be able to make work are:

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply ...........to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training.

So if you throw in a pistol match, or you know an instructor who can schedule a lesson, you are good. ha.

One other option for you might be to bring a long gun.

In MA you would be covered by FOPA.

In CT, there are NO restrictions on anyone's use of long guns provided they are not post 94 ban AWs. (pre ban AWs are ok) The only practical restriction is that it can not be loaded during transport. There also aren't any restrictions on the possession of low cap mags or ammunition.

So that wood stocked Mini-14 could be transported in CT sitting in your lap with a 10 round mag in your hand. Ready for anything, and you are perfectly legal in CT.

I guess if I were you, I'd figure a way to bring some kind of long gun.

My trip to CT came and went a couple weeks ago, spent about seven hours there total.
I think I should probably go through the CT non-resident permit process, it would really simplify things in the event I have to go back.
That's good info about the long guns though. Most of my rifles aren't CT legal for sure, but I'm assuming an SKS with a fixed ten-round mag is still ok there? Not my first choice, but better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom