Non-resident LTC renewal time frame

GadgettR1

NES Member
Has anyone recently applied and received their renewal? I'm curious on RI's time frame currently. I submitted my renewal paperwork to the AG's office in January.

How long did this end up taking you?

My AG renewal has been about 2 months and counting. They are responsive by email. They told me to wait the 90 days and then on day 91 to call them if I didn’t hear anything. I double checked with them to be sure they received it because mail has been terrible as of late.

I’m not sure if they are short staffed or just going slower; however, my past renewals took about a day or two.

Might consider going through a local municipality next time, there are a few that operate on a shall issue basis as long as you have an LTC in your home state. Johnston & East Greenwich come to mind, but there are others. I got mine in Johnston and renewed there and it wasn't bad at all. You don't have to go through the AG either since the municipalities don't technically renew, they issue a new one each time, although w/ Johnston the fact that they already had me on file did help expedite. And when you call them they're very helpful.

Might consider going through a local municipality next time, there are a few that operate on a shall issue basis as long as you have an LTC in your home state. Johnston & East Greenwich come to mind, but there are others. I got mine in Johnston and renewed there and it wasn't bad at all. You don't have to go through the AG either since the municipalities don't technically renew, they issue a new one each time, although w/ Johnston the fact that they already had me on file did help expedite. And when you call them they're very helpful.

I have both a town and an AG license. My town one is at the beginning of its lifecycle and my AG one is at the end of its lifecycle.

Cranston and Narragansett have renewal applications.

Johnston says they don’t renew but they make it up as they go along. They just want your $300. I grew up in that town. And they wouldn’t get $300 out of me. The statute is $40 upon issuance. For some people, the $300 convenience fee for mailbox to mailbox makes Johnston attractive and I defiantly wouldn’t fault anyone for going that route.

I’m just glad Johnston is issuing them. 15+ years ago their chief at that time wouldn’t do it and he was “proud” of it. He only started doing it when Frank (former town solicitor) told him that he had to.

I have both a town and an AG license. My town one is at the beginning of its lifecycle and my AG one is at the end of its lifecycle.

Cranston and Narragansett have renewal applications.

Johnston says they don’t renew but they make it up as they go along. They just want your $300. I grew up in that town. And they wouldn’t get $300 out of me. The statute is $40 upon issuance. For some people, the $300 convenience fee for mailbox to mailbox makes Johnston attractive and I defiantly wouldn’t fault anyone for going that route.

I’m just glad Johnston is issuing them. 15+ years ago their chief at that time wouldn’t do it and he was “proud” of it. He only started doing it when Frank (former town solicitor) told him that he had to.

I just saw your posts in the other thread re long guns in RI, you certainly know more about RI than I do and thank you for fighting the good fight.

For me, the $300 is worth it but I hear you. Dunno the Chief but his assistant Lori handles most of the process and is a pleasure to deal with (I know there's an officer who does the actual checks/issuance but you deal mostly w/ Lori).

I'm curious. I know you can have more than 1 RI nonres license but wondering what the advantage is having both a town and an AG license.

I just saw your posts in the other thread re long guns in RI, you certainly know more about RI than I do and thank you for fighting the good fight.

For me, the $300 is worth it but I hear you. Dunno the Chief but his assistant Lori handles most of the process and is a pleasure to deal with (I know there's an officer who does the actual checks/issuance but you deal mostly w/ Lori).

I'm curious. I know you can have more than 1 RI nonres license but wondering what the advantage is having both a town and an AG license.
there’s nothing stopping you from theoretically having a town permit from all 39 cities and towns as well as an attorney general license. It would be crazy and there would be no point, but there would be nothing unlawful about it.

The licenses are completely separate and one has no bearing on the other. At least that’s how the Supreme Court of Rhode Island has viewed it over the years.

The only reason I have a town one is for the exemptions for acquiring firearms.

The only advantage to an attorney general permit, if you can get one, is that you can carry openly on it. Rhode Island law has no benefit to open carry on like a lot of western and Midwestern states though. But it is nice to have the option in case of accidental exposure. Some police chiefs will make a big deal about it. Surprisingly enough, Warwick explicitly has in their policy that such conduct is acceptable.

my reasons for having both of the licenses, are very unique. I don’t mind sharing but it would probably be an utter bore for most people 😆.

That said, long-term I do see town permits being restricted in the future. Especially if the Supreme Court case over New York carry goes our way. I do see them adding lots of places off-limits to people carrying under town permits.

How long did this end up taking you?

My AG renewal has been about 2 months and counting. They are responsive by email. They told me to wait the 90 days and then on day 91 to call them if I didn’t hear anything. I double checked with them to be sure they received it because mail has been terrible as of late.

I’m not sure if they are short staffed or just going slower; however, my past renewals took about a day or two.
I finally got it in Oct after many calls back n forth and getting a lawyer involved (all he did was send an email or two and make a phone call). So basically about 10 months total time.

I finally got it in Oct after many calls back n forth and getting a lawyer involved (all he did was send an email or two and make a phone call). So basically about 10 months total time.
Holy crap! 10 months!

was it a renewal? Did they originally deny you or did it take 10 months to get an answer altogether?

It was a renewal. Originally on the phone the deputy AG told me I’m all set and will get my paperwork to come pick it up in a week or so. Two weeks later I got a letter saying they didn’t like my letter of need (same reasons I used the first time), so I just went right to my lawyer and went that route.

It was a renewal. Originally on the phone the deputy AG told me I’m all set and will get my paperwork to come pick it up in a week or so. Two weeks later I got a letter saying they didn’t like my letter of need (same reasons I used the first time), so I just went right to my lawyer and went that route.
wow.

did the deputy originally call you around the 90 day marker?

Back
Top Bottom