Non-resident LTC restrictions?

milktree

NES Member
A former student who now lives in another state is applying for his LTC renewal.

He had an unrestricted LTC in the past, but this time the Mass State Police kicked back his application because they didn't like "All Lawful Purposes" for the "reason for issuance" (or whatever the language is)

I was under the impression that the SP (now?) had a policy to renew unrestricted LTCs with unrestricted ones; i.e.: to not impose new restrictions.

Is that not true?

Are they just crossing "T"s and dotting "I"s here?

Is something like "for personal protection inside and outside the home" along with a brief explanation of owning rental properties and living in MA for about five months a year sufficient?

Sadly no longer true. You have to put on quite a dog & pony show as to why you are different and have a personal severe risk of death.

I know three people (myself included) that got unrestricted non-res in the last two years.
However, simply "all lawful purposes" isn't sufficient.

Each of us wrote about a one page letter explaining our ties to MA and reasons why we needed/wanted to carry, and pointed out we had unrestricted MA licenses.

So, very possible to get unrestricted non-res, but you do have to put in some effort and not just "ALP."

A former student who now lives in another state is applying for his LTC renewal.

He had an unrestricted LTC in the past, but this time the Mass State Police kicked back his application because they didn't like "All Lawful Purposes" for the "reason for issuance" (or whatever the language is)

I was under the impression that the SP (now?) had a policy to renew unrestricted LTCs with unrestricted ones; i.e.: to not impose new restrictions.

Is that not true?

Are they just crossing "T"s and dotting "I"s here?

Is something like "for personal protection inside and outside the home" along with a brief explanation of owning rental properties and living in MA for about five months a year sufficient?

The MA non resident licensing is no longer handled or overseen by the mass state police. It has been overseen by the Criminal Records bureau or the Dept. Of Criminal Justice for at least 5+ years.

Link: Apply for a firearms license

When they took it over, the requirements were scrutinized and tightened up.

A new applicant or renewal applicant is required to provide a specific reason, and not a generic reason.

Essentially, every time you renew, you are scrutinized as if it is your first application.

It is Mass after all ..... so it should not be that surprising.

Last edited:
Too late for that, I think.
Why?

Most PDs don't even bother cancelling them even after notification. And FRB told me that they won't cancel them without the PD requesting it.

He could always "correct" the PD that he's still here much of the time.

but...but.... we have armchair experts who claim that LTCs self-revoke if you move and offer definitive proof by challenging anyone who disagrees to be the test case.

Why?

Most PDs don't even bother cancelling them even after notification. And FRB told me that they won't cancel them without the PD requesting it.

He could always "correct" the PD that he's still here much of the time.

Because he's already gotten a NR LTC for the past couple years.

Or do you mean that he should apply for a resident LTC while he's up here, even though he's had a NR one?

Won't the PD catch that?

but...but.... we have armchair experts who claim that LTCs self-revoke if you move and offer definitive proof by challenging anyone who disagrees to be the test case.
We are often told that, however my discussion with the Lt. in MSP who handles instructor certs and FRB have told me that it only gets done if the PD requests it and that most PDs are too lazy to bother. Thus they stay active until expiration. Running the online LTC verification option will tell the facts for an individual LTC.

Because he's already gotten a NR LTC for the past couple years.

Or do you mean that he should apply for a resident LTC while he's up here, even though he's had a NR one?

Won't the PD catch that?
I didn't realize that the mistake was that old.

No idea if it will be caught or not. I have wondered the reverse. When I finally move out and notify FRB/PD and file for a NR LTC will that application cause a problem with FRB if the PD doesn't cancel the Resident LTC?? Time will tell.

He can still apply for Resident LTC, the worst that they can say is "No", but if he doesn't try it is still "No". Some PDs are fine with part-time residents and others are total asses about it.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We are often told that, however my discussion with the Lt. in MSP who handles instructor certs and FRB have told me that it only gets done if the PD requests it and that most PDs are too lazy to bother. Thus they stay active until expiration. Running the online LTC verification option will tell the facts for an individual LTC.
This presents an interesting scenario.

The law that keeps an LTC valid for converting a criminal violation to a civil one (expired license) still recognizes an LTC that has been revoked for failure to file a change of address. So consider person "A" does not file a change of address, and is revoked for failure to do so when he escapes; Person "B" files a change of address to Freestate, US and has his LTC revoked for "moving out of state". Has person B sacrificed the protection of an expired license by actually reporting his change of address? Assuming he was not pursuing a non-resident LTC, would STFU have been a better course of action?

Last edited:

The law that keeps an LTC valid for converting a criminal violation to a civil one (expired license) still recognizes an LTC that has been revoked for failure to file a change of address. So consider person "A" does not file a change of address, and is revoked for failure to do so when he escapes; Person "B" files a change of address to Freestate, US and has his LTC revoked for "moving out of state". Has person B sacrificed the protection of an expired license by actually reporting his change of address? Assuming he was not pursuing a non-resident LTC, would STFU have been a better course of action?
They don't "revoke" it, they administratively expire it early, so no penalty accrues.

If they did jack someone up for doing this, I'm sure that Comm2A would take some interest in that case.

Do you have the section on this? I'm not doubting or questioning you, I'm just curious if this applies to both LTCs and FIDs, or is it just LTCs.

Do you have the section on this? I'm not doubting or questioning you, I'm just curious if this applies to both LTCs and FIDs, or is it just LTCs.
That is the right question to ask when there is any doubt, and it is perfectly acceptable to question or doubt information without proof. Doubt anyone who answers "because I figured out", "because I know it" or "because someone told me".

Note use of term "license issued under this section" rather than FID or LTC. Note that FID, LTC and Machine Gun License are issued under 140s131.

Chapter 140 section 131(m). They even embedded a joke into that section (hilighted in green)

(m) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269, any person in possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun whose license issued under this section is invalid for the sole reason that it has expired, not including licenses that remain valid under paragraph (i) because the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, but who shall not be disqualified from renewal upon application therefor pursuant to this section, shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $100 nor more than $5,000 and the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply; provided, however, that the exemption from the provisions of said section 10 of said chapter 269 provided herein shall not apply if: (i) such license has been revoked or suspended, unless such revocation or suspension was caused by failure to give notice of a change of address as required under this section; (ii) revocation or suspension of such license is pending, unless such revocation or suspension was caused by failure to give notice of a change of address as required under this section; or (iii) an application for renewal of such license has been denied. Any law enforcement officer who discovers a person to be in possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun after such person's license has expired, meaning after 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, has been revoked or suspended, solely for failure to give notice of a change of address, shall confiscate such firearm, rifle or shotgun and the expired or suspended license then in possession and such officer, shall forward such license to the licensing authority by whom it was issued as soon as practicable. The officer shall, at the time of confiscation, provide to the person whose firearm, rifle or shotgun has been confiscated, a written inventory and receipt for all firearms, rifles or shotguns confiscated and the officer and his employer shall exercise due care in the handling, holding and storage of these items. Any confiscated weapon shall be returned to the owner upon the renewal or reinstatement of such expired or suspended license within one year of such confiscation or may be otherwise disposed of in accordance with the provisions of section 129D. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if such person has a valid license to carry firearms issued under section 131F.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom