• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Resident permits, do you have one ?

Who here has obtained a Non-resident ( NR ) license/permit from another state ?

If yes, which NR State license do you possess ?

Its sad that most New England states don't offer reciprocity with other New England states, so a NR license is the only way to carry in adjoining states

non-resident NR* vermont massachusetts rhode island connecticut new hampshire maine

I have none yet
but my TO-DO list

1: get Floridas, it costs more than UTAH
but UTAHS-NR is not recognised in Florida (which I visit)

2: get New Hampshire
3: get Maine
4: get Connecticut ( if possible )

Floridas rec. map
florida_map.t.gif

Utahs rec. map
utah_map.t.gif

you get additionally Nevada and Washington State by getting the UTAH
you get West Virginia and Kansas with Florida but not with UTAHS

Last edited:
you get West Virginia and Kansas with Florida but not with UTAHS
According to the map you cite, KS and WV only recognize resident permits from other states.

Also, UT adds MN.

If you are interested in a UT permit, I suggest you do it soon. One of the requirements is signoff by a UT certified instructor (Kmaurer is one, does excellent work, and is easy to work with). UT has changed their instructor certification program so that instructors must go to a recertification class at their choice of location (current choices are St. Lake City, UT and St. George, UT). My guess is that the vast majority of instructors available locally won't fly out to UT to recert, so it may become increasingly difficult to get that signoff on your application if you wait.

If you are interested in a UT permit, I suggest you do it soon. One of the requirements is signoff by a UT certified instructor (Kmaurer is one, does excellent work, and is easy to work with). UT has changed their instructor certification program so that instructors must go to a recertification class at their choice of location (current choices are St. Lake City, UT and St. George, UT). My guess is that the vast majority of instructors available locally won't fly out to UT to recert, so it may become increasingly difficult to get that signoff on your application if you wait.

thanks a mil. for this valuable piece of info.

ME application has been sent. I am going to South Carolina on 12/4 for SC and UT. When all is said and done, I'll be able to carry concealed in about 25 states, except for my own. [thinking]

Update: Training complete! Applications in process. Looking at 60-90 days for SC and UTAH. Just in time for spring. SC has recently enacted statutory stand your ground and castle doctrine legislation. I consider it a gun friendly state, however I don't think they normally issue to non-residents unless they have real estate ownership in the state.

Last edited:
Florida Non-Resident License

$117 includes fingerprint fee of $42, good for 5 years. It only adds itself if you already have Utah. West Virginia is also added, but only if you're a Florida resident. W. Virginia isn't exactly a destination spot for most people. Florida is, though, and I'm going there in the late spring.

It looks like they accept the Mass. Safety Course as well.

Just about the only times I go to RI or CT I'm continuing on to NY, so a carry permit for an intermediate destination doesn't do me a hell of a lot of good. If I thought I could argue successfully that FOPA covers me going from MA to CT or RI via NY I'd get RI & CT. [wink]

Ken

I don't suppose anyone has any up to date info on the ease of non-res RI permits? I go there an awful lot.

And for you Scrivener my friend, what is your opinion of the potential effect of the section of the MA nonresident (and resident) application that asks if you have ever been denied a permit? Would a denial of a RI permit be a reasonable cause for denial of the MA permit, or not so much? (assuming that I'm not beholden to individual chiefs being a nonresident).

NH

One note of caution -- If for whatever reason, you are denied a non-resident license, then you would have to say such on the renewal of your resident license (at least in MA), and that could put your MA resident LTC - A in jeopardy. [frown] So, don't go wild and try to accumulate a whole bunch of non-resident licenses.

I don't suppose anyone has any up to date info on the ease of non-res RI permits? I go there an awful lot.

And for you Scrivener my friend, what is your opinion of the potential effect of the section of the MA nonresident (and resident) application that asks if you have ever been denied a permit? Would a denial of a RI permit be a reasonable cause for denial of the MA permit, or not so much? (assuming that I'm not beholden to individual chiefs being a nonresident).

I tried getting a RI Non-Resident permit a little over a year ago and it was a mess. I put together the package they require, plus a lot of extras, and sent it in. The extras consisted of letters of recommendation from LEOs, a copy of my Middlesex Reserve Deputy credentials and a very detailed letter on why I wanted it. I sent it in as a certified letter and I got the piece back indicated it was signed for. After waiting for a few months I obtained a phone number and called looking for status. The person on the other end was nice and tried to track down my package when I gave her the tracking number. I get a call back saying they lost my package and to resubmit. I put the whole package back together again and resend it to the lady directly as she indicated. I again wait for another month and finally get a letter from them. I was excited thinking I'd finally got my permit. Instead the only thing the envelop contained was a single official state letter with three words on it. The words = Denied-Insufficient Need. I was PISSED. Now I'm stuck answering YES on the "Have you ever been denied/rejected a permit" question. [angry]

I tried getting a RI Non-Resident permit a little over a year ago and it was a mess. I put together the package they require, plus a lot of extras, and sent it in. The extras consisted of letters of recommendation from LEOs, a copy of my Middlesex Reserve Deputy credentials and a very detailed letter on why I wanted it. I sent it in as a certified letter and I got the piece back indicated it was signed for. After waiting for a few months I obtained a phone number and called looking for status. The person on the other end was nice and tried to track down my package when I gave her the tracking number. I get a call back saying they lost my package and to resubmit. I put the whole package back together again and resend it to the lady directly as she indicated. I again wait for another month and finally get a letter from them. I was excited thinking I'd finally got my permit. Instead the only thing the envelop contained was a single official state letter with three words on it. The words = Denied-Insufficient Need. I was PISSED. Now I'm stuck answering YES on the "Have you ever been denied/rejected a permit" question. [angry]

I'm convinced that you have to know somebody or at least pay off someone in RI. I used to work there, It's not even a state, it's a mid size city. You have connections and you thrive, you know no one and you exist.

I've got non-resident applications in real "shall issue" states. If I get denied it will be due to a typo and I'll reapply. States like Utah, Florida, and SC look at gun ownership as a matter of normal daily activity as opposed to paranoia and chaos.

Most people I think stay here because of family or business reasons. I believe relatively few people think Mass or RI is just the bestest place to live.

NH and UT.

Florida allows your info to be public, and I don't plan on going there anyways. UT covers a few extra states where I might travel, and is much cheaper to renew.

NH

One note of caution -- If for whatever reason, you are denied a non-resident license, then you would have to say such on the renewal of your resident license (at least in MA), and that could put your MA resident LTC - A in jeopardy. [frown] So, don't go wild and try to accumulate a whole bunch of non-resident licenses.

That is a good point: Does having to say that you were denied, say for "Insufficient Need", mark your chances for an LTC-A? I would assume that if you had several out of state licenses (which you have to list as well on the application [ME, NH, CT, UT, FL]), that those would give you some good karma? I have just been leery of tempting fate and having the proverbial "DENIED" tag burnt on my application as they all have a laugh in the RI AG's office [like Old Man Potter having an orgasm while beating down the good citizens of his town].

My wife and her family is from RI, and I definitely have a real need. I just did not realize you needed to jump through that many hoops in the process. I won't have any problems with the range test and all, but to get letters of recommendation from your LEO? DAMN. In RI, even the locals have to turn to the AG for a license (which is against the shall-issue), and they are all denied.

IMHO, areas around Providence stack up to the worst s*itholes in Roxbury or Mattapan. I love my wife but hate that Fricking state.

Back
Top Bottom