• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Resident permits, do you have one ?

For whatever it's worth, I advocate obtaining an actual NR LTC/concealed carry license issued by the state in which you intend to carry a gun.

My concern is this: if you have that state's own NR permit, you know that an LEO there will recognize and give credit to it. Possession of that state's NR license would yield a much smoother, less controversial result than if you found yourself telling the LEO, "Don't worry, officer. I have an NR LTC issued by FL/UT/VA..., and your state recognizes that license."

What do you do if the LEO doesn't know what you know, and arrests or criminally charges you, even if your carry is completely legal?

Why risk it -- get an NR LTC for every state in which you carry a gun.

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

Last edited:
Why risk it -- get an NR LTC for every state in which you carry a gun.
Great advice, particularly with PA - which does mail order permits for $26, and where there is a history of the state police not accepting "non home state" permits from reciprocity states. Sometimes there are logistical obstacles - for example, one can mail order a UT permit good in WA and NV, but both of those states require application and/or pickup in person. NV even requires taking a course within NV to get a permit. So, sometimes, it's non-resident LTC or nothing.

Rhode Island the crookedest political hacks on the East Coast next to MA and you are denied? Never gonna bother since I only go their to party anyway and can't carry wile doing so screw it! Bring a hammer or a bat!

I am hearing...pls take this wif a grain of salt...that Rhode Island is a shall-issue state if you apply to a police chief, and that a non-resident can apply to any police chief. A police chief can only issue a ccw permit. The AG MAY issue a permit which is good for CCW and Open Carry.

The problem is that most, maybe all, RI chiefs want nothing to do with the process, especially for non-residents. Some towns, I believe, don't even have the forms, permit blanks, or the faintest notion how to process this.

All I can say is, having once worked in Rhode Island, it is the worst, slimiest, shittiest state in the whole country, and rife with corruption. If you know someone, who knows someone, who knows a politician, who is owed a favor, then you might have a chance in one of the municipalities.

Why not try calling a few RI lawyers in the phone book and see if you can get hooked up with a rain maker. Not saying it won't cost you, but I bet it's been done before.

For Rhode Island, contact CRALRI: http://www.cralri.com/

It is my impression, however that getting a permit in RI (whether res or non-res) is very difficult.

I read the message board - it is interesting and bears out pretty much everything said here. I live in a border town, and if it were easier I'd go for it, but in as much as Rhode Island is a turd slightly smaller than square of toilet paper, it isn't worth the money and effort.

BTW RI Constitution: Section 22. Right to bear arms. -- The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Another crap hole that doesn't abide by their own constitution.

Last edited:
I can carry in every state in New England EXCEPT the ont I live in, damn put Mass on that list seeing i no longer have a home state permit. I miss Maine! I can't even get an application from my police chief. So I don't even get to experience a denial. :(

Last edited:
I can carry in every state in New England EXCEPT the ont I live in, damn put Mass on that list seeing i no longer have a home state permit. I miss Maine! I can't even get an application from my police chief. So I don't even get to experience a denial. :(

Join the club. [wink]

Note to anybody looking for out of state permits.

New Hampshire received in 3 weeks.
Just received Utah. Took only 6 weeks.
Still waiting for Maine after 2 months. Intarweb rumor is the licensing department is down from 4 to 2 people due to medical leaves.

Mass. Bites It BIG TIME.

Good luck to people applying OOS.

I've got a couple, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire.

Both took less than a week from the time I mailed the applications out to the time I had the permit in my hand.

I don't (yet) have a MA nonresident LTC. It's on the to-do list, but since I don't anticipate having to go to Mass for, well, anything... :) it just hasn't been a priority. And I've never had to give out my fingerprints to anybody, so I'm a bit leery of doing that now.

Maine came in about 10-11 weeks. South Carolina is my most desired, and just hit 80 days, but lots of people go 60-90 days and it seems they are serious about getting it to you within the 90 day deadline.

Ohio and New Hampshire is all I need to carry in any state that I might conceivably visit.

The only place that I want to but can't is Colorado. They do not have reciprocity with Ohio, do not accept non-resident licenses from elsewhere, and do not issue their own NR license.

Who here has obtained a Non-resident ( NR ) license/permit from another state ?

If yes, which NR State license do you possess ?

Its sad that most New England states don't offer reciprocity with other New England states, so a NR license is the only way to carry in adjoining states

non-resident NR* vermont massachusetts rhode island connecticut new hampshire maine
I have 11 LTC/CCL’s

Home state of Texas.

Utah
Washington
Arizona
Illinois
Virginia
Florida
West Virginia
Maine
New Hampshire
Connecticut

Once the NYSPRA v NY case opinion is released I will get…

Maryland
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Massachusetts

Maybe the counties of Hawaii… It is unknown at this time IF a Non-Resident can apply as the wording of the law doesn’t specifically say that they can’t.

You can get MA now, but it requires a MA class and a trip into the state.

How did you do IL? Did you have to travel to that state?

Some of those seem redundant - WA is covered by UT or FL, NH is constitutional carry, Maine is con carry except certain parks that are covered by a CCW, etc. AZ is con carry and/or reconginzes out of state CCWs, etc. Any why is NY not on your list?

Back
Top Bottom