Non-Resident RI permit.

Is their one city that would be best or easiest for me to apply for a permit to carry a handgun with?

I have my NRA basic pistol class with level 4 shooting (best)

I also have a license to carry from my home State of residence of Texas. I also have a permit to carry from NH and Maine. I have pending applications for a CCW/LTC with Ut, Ct, Az, Fl, & Illinois. All of which I should receive before the end of the year.

So I am wondering if it would be to my best benefit to wait until I have received all those CCW/LTC’s prior to applying for a RI permit?

As I understand it, RI is a shall issue issued by a city, but may issue if issued by the state AG? In which case what city is the easiest to apply with, without having to show up in person? Ie be done through the mail.

Is hiring someone to write the “letter” worth paying for?

i have no idea about the not doing it in person. all the towns I've looked into require interviews but i only live in MA. im also interested in the letter and possibly hiring somoene to write it but my interview is in 2 weeks so i'd need to find someone asap but no idea where to look.

Firstly, good on you for getting all those licenses and permits. You're a good, honest citizen and that deserves some recognition... but truth be told, none of that means shit here.

Upfront you're looking at spending $300, then you also have to qualify on a range. IDK where you go for that and I doubt you'll be able to get around doing it outside the state.

The likelihood is you'll be denied first, then it'll be up to you to put time and effort into doing the appeal, which you'll more than likely pass.

It's a tremendous amount of bullshit and why it costs nothing and requires nothing to carry a gun in New Hampshire, but it costs nearly a weeks pay in Rhode Island to do the same thing just shows how everything you want to do here is a privilege and not a right that requires permission by a govt agent before you do it.

Personally, unless you have a reason to be in Rhode Island (family, work, etc), there's no reason to ever step foot here or spend a dollar here. If you're planning a vacation or something, skip Southern New England and go straight to New Hampshire and Maine.

r
Firstly, good on you for getting all those licenses and permits. You're a good, honest citizen and that deserves some recognition... but truth be told, none of that means shit here.

Upfront you're looking at spending $300, then you also have to qualify on a range. IDK where you go for that and I doubt you'll be able to get around doing it outside the state.

The likelihood is you'll be denied first, then it'll be up to you to put time and effort into doing the appeal, which you'll more than likely pass.

It's a tremendous amount of bullshit and why it costs nothing and requires nothing to carry a gun in New Hampshire, but it costs nearly a weeks pay in Rhode Island to do the same thing just shows how everything you want to do here is a privilege and not a right that requires permission by a govt agent before you do it.

Personally, unless you have a reason to be in Rhode Island (family, work, etc), there's no reason to ever step foot here or spend a dollar here. If you're planning a vacation or something, skip Southern New England and go straight to New Hampshire and Maine.

Lol so your saying nothing worth seeing or doing in RI as a tourist?

I have noticed that the entire budget for yhe city of Dallas is larger then that of the entire state of RI lol ;)-

It's a tremendous amount of bullshit and why it costs nothing and requires nothing to carry a gun in New Hampshire, but it costs nearly a weeks pay in Rhode Island to do the same thing just shows how everything you want to do here is a privilege and not a right that requires permission by a govt
Cost me $40, repeated every few years and I always have to pick it up at the AGs.
I have my NRA basic pistol class with level 4 shooting (best)
What you will need is an ARMY-L target shot at 25 yards with the largest caliber your RI license will cover. 30 rounds, I think the qualifying score is 190, but it really isn't that hard to get in the 280+ range with a 1911 in 45.

Last edited:
Cost me $40, repeated every few years and I always have to pick it up at the AGs.
I saw that Coventry is instituting a fee of $250 to start the application, then another $40 when you're approved and can pick it up. With the budget shortfalls this year it is a guarantee that every other town will match that. That's where I get the $300 figure from.

What you will need is an ARMY-L target shot at 25 yards with the largest caliber your RI license will cover. 30 rounds, I think the qualifying score is 190, but it really isn't that hard to get in the 280+ range with a 1911 in 45.
Which sucks because I'm getting a percussion fired Lyman Plains Pistol in .54 caliber that I would love to open carry, but it takes a really, REALLY long time to load and fire 30 rounds with it.

r

Lol so your saying nothing worth seeing or doing in RI as a tourist?

I have noticed that the entire budget for yhe city of Dallas is larger then that of the entire state of RI lol ;)-
Dallas is probably bigger than the entire state of RI!

Any NRA instructor can qualify you with an Army-L target. I've qualified people in the past. The test is really no big deal although obtaining the targets isn't always easy, I had to buy 100 of them as nobody local had them or even knew what I was asking for.

Only if you apply thru the RI AG will you almost certainly get denied and then have to appeal it. Apply thru a friendly city/town and it will cost more but they will issue them.

i just did my out of state interview it cost me $40 and they said due to the backlog i should have it in about 90 days

Last edited:
obtaining the targets isn't always easy
Karma - Two targets each to the first two people who ask and are confident they will actually use them. Please don't "in" this unless you are actually going to go through the process, as doing so will deprive someone who would actually use them.

I often use the target insert when qualifying people I know, since I don't associate with shooters who are not able to hit just the insert (replacement for center section). That is not by design on my part; I'm just fortunate to have competent friends.
Only if you apply thru the RI AG will you almost certainly get denied and then have to appeal it. Apply thru a friendly city/town and it will cost more but they will issue them.
I know of four people including myself with RI permits, and they all came from the AGs office. The key is being able to offer a specific reason/need that cannot apply to just anyone who asserts it. But, I may have some inertia at my back since I have been renewing since they were hand signed on white laminated card stock (1992).
I saw that Coventry is instituting a fee of $250 to start the application, then another $40 when you're approved and can pick it up. With the budget shortfalls this year it is a guarantee that every other town will match that. That's where I get the $300 figure from.
The relevant term is "ultra vires".

Last edited:
Dallas is probably bigger than the entire state of RI!

Any NRA instructor can qualify you with an Army-L target. I've qualified people in the past. The test is really no big deal although obtaining the targets isn't always easy, I had to buy 100 of them as nobody local had them or even knew what I was asking for.

Thats why i was asking which city/town would be the most friendly to a conservative Friendly Texan ;)-

Karma - Two targets each to the first two people who ask and are confident they will actually use them. Please don't "in" this unless you are actually going to go through the process, as doing so will deprive someone who would actually use them.

I often use the target insert when qualifying people I know, since I don't associate with shooters who are not able to hit just the insert (replacement for center section). That is not by design on my part; I'm just fortunate to have competent friends.

I know of four people including myself with RI permits, and they all came from the AGs office. The key is being able to offer a specific reason/need that cannot apply to just anyone who asserts it. But, I may have some inertia at my back since I have been renewing since they were hand signed on white laminated card stock (1992).

The relevant term is "ultra vires".

Thats the trick for any state that requires "good cause" to get a license to carry.

Maryland, RI, Mass, will all give non-resident if you can show good cause. Deleware will too, however Delaware though has reciprocity with 4 states I already have LTC's for. They also have open carry without a license. Go figure.

Being what the current climate is, I would like to get LTC/CCW from every state I can. Some wonder why. I say cause you never onow what could change especially with reciprocity. Plus if one ever has to appeal a process, it makes it harder for them to show your not worthy of having a license when you can show you have 8, 10 or even 12 licenses allready.

But as someone mentioned earlier RI may not have much for me to see or worth coming to see a anything either. I will have to do some research on that.

Mostly for me, its being able to carry a loaded handgun in my vehicle/rv/motorcyle (trike) and still be legal. While allowed in many states i dont think its allowed in RI without a carry permit. Right?

Being what the current climate is, I would like to get LTC/CCW from every state I can.
While you're at it save the whales (collect the entire set).
Mostly for me, its being able to carry a loaded handgun in my vehicle/rv/motorcyle (trike) and still be legal. While allowed in many states i dont think its allowed in RI without a carry permit. Right?
It is if you have a permit from another state (not sure if it has to be home state) and you are traveling through RI without intent to detain or delay yourself.
it makes it harder for them to show your not worthy of having a license .....
That is generally not a big issue in may issue states. Decision are frequently "The person is qualified from a perspective of his/her/their record but has not shown a specific need beyond the general fear of crime to which all subjects are subjected".

While you're at it save the whales (collect the entire set).

It is if you have a permit from another state (not sure if it has to be home state) and you are traveling through RI without intent to detain or delay yourself.

That is generally not a big issue in may issue states. Decision are frequently "The person is qualified from a perspective of his/her/their record but has not shown a specific need beyond the general fear of crime to which all subjects are subjected".

Wonder how many pice reports it takes! over what period of time. ;)- lol

Wonder how many pice reports it takes! over what period of time. ;)- lol
Totally depends on the jurisdiction and how much juice the applicant has. Just take a look at this to see the kind of standard applied to an ordinary person in an anti jurisdiction: Judge denies gun permit for Sussex County pet supply store owner who was mistakenly kidnapped

I lived in FL before permit reform. Carry permits were rarely approved, given to the connected, and issued by the county. I remember an article where a local low-level politician was approved because he feared crime, but small business owners were denied and told to mitigate risk by hiring an armored car service to pick up their daily cash deposits instead of taking them to the night deposit drop.

Totally depends on the jurisdiction and how much juice the applicant has. Just take a look at this to see the kind of standard applied to an ordinary person in an anti jurisdiction: Judge denies gun permit for Sussex County pet supply store owner who was mistakenly kidnapped

I lived in FL before permit reform. Carry permits were rarely approved, given to the connected, and issued by the county. I remember an article where a local low-level politician was approved because he feared crime, but small business owners were denied and told to mitigate risk by hiring an armored car service to pick up their daily cash deposits instead of taking them to the night deposit drop.

Sadly until a case gets to SCOTUS and they give a ruling, we will have to put up with rulings such as this. SCOTUS has been unwilling to hear these types of cases sadly. Hopefully with Justice Barret in place, things will start changing for the better.

The next possible case regarding "good cause" with potential to reach SCOTUS sooner is Young V Hawaii. Hopefully SCOTUS will hear that case.

However Hawaii will get some push back from states such as RI and New York etc... not to take the case to SCOTUS if Hawaii looses the 11 judge En Banc hearing that just took place.

Similar thing happened to a case with washington Dc, They were preassured by NY and NJ not to appeal the case.

Has anyone received their CCW via East Greenwich September candidates?

i had my interview in October. Nothing yet. She told me to expect it in about 90 days give or take due to the amount of applications she has to process she had to have like 60 or 70 on her desk when i was there.

Would you recommend sending a friendly email a couple weeks before the 90’days for a status update?

She seemed pretty understanding so I'm sure an email or phone call checking on the status wouldn't hurt. It's only been a month for me but I am already impatient and want to ask myself in hopes some of the applications before me went quick like she said can happen.

I paid when i was there so she could mail it out as soon as it came in.

She seemed pretty understanding so I'm sure an email or phone call checking on the status wouldn't hurt. It's only been a month for me but I am already impatient and want to ask myself in hopes some of the applications before me went quick like she said can happen.

I paid when i was there so she could mail it out as soon as it came in.

Was she the one that “approved” “denied” applications, or just processed them for someone else to approve or deny? If she was the one to approve or deny an application, did she seem like the type that is more pro or anti 2A.

I have heard of some people that unless their were special circumstances that would deny just about anyone as well as those, that would approve just about anyone that was otherwise a law abiding citizen.

Being from out of state, and we can apply to just about any city/area, I would want to apply to the city that is the most pro 2a, and is the most lenient about approving applicants.

I could be wrong, and using illogical logic, but I would like to think that if I went for an interview and showed the person that I all ready have LTC’s/CCL’s from 9 other states as well as having an FFL, that they would be more apt to approve me. As that would mean I have already underwent multiple background checks across multiple states as well as had multiple training classes, and multiple live fire trainings as well.

The only issue I feel like I am lacking on, is showing “good” cause other then my 2A right to bear arms, and human right to self protection from life threatening threats from humans or animals.

Was she the one that “approved” “denied” applications, or just processed them for someone else to approve or deny? If she was the one to approve or deny an application, did she seem like the type that is more pro or anti 2A.

I have heard of some people that unless their were special circumstances that would deny just about anyone as well as those, that would approve just about anyone that was otherwise a law abiding citizen.

Being from out of state, and we can apply to just about any city/area, I would want to apply to the city that is the most pro 2a, and is the most lenient about approving applicants.

I could be wrong, and using illogical logic, but I would like to think that if I went for an interview and showed the person that I all ready have LTC’s/CCL’s from 9 other states as well as having an FFL, that they would be more apt to approve me. As that would mean I have already underwent multiple background checks across multiple states as well as had multiple training classes, and multiple live fire trainings as well.

The only issue I feel like I am lacking on, is showing “good” cause other then my 2A right to bear arms, and human right to self protection from life threatening threats from humans or animals.

she isn't the "approver" the chief has to do that but from what i have heard and seen he he will approve applicants as long as they provide what's needed and pass the background checks. She is pro 2a as we had a small discussion about her and her husband carrying for years. she was very helpful with the whole application including the letter of need which was my only concern with the application because i had no idea what to write.

I have had good luck w/ Johnston, RI. I submitted my renewal application by mail in Mid-September. They called me when their received my paperwork and they called me on Friday to let me know they mailed it. They charge $300 plus the $40 fee, they said to mail the $300 w/ the Application and that I can mail them a check for the $40 when my license arrives (haven't checked the mail today). They seem agreeable to doing it all by mail which is a plus.

<edit> just went out and checked the mailbox, my LTC arrived, I'm good thru Jan 2025 [banana]

Last edited:
Can anyone who applied through East Greenwich give me suggestions on what to include in the letter to the chief? How much do these letters play a role in the approval part of the application? I have my interview next week.

Day 82..... waiting

the back log was pretty big when i went there so its not surprising. that and the holidays. It couldnt hurt to maybe call and ask for a status.

Can anyone who applied through East Greenwich give me suggestions on what to include in the letter to the chief? How much do these letters play a role in the approval part of the application? I have my interview next week.

i had gotten a few letters from people for ideas but honestly i called holly and asked her what he is looking for. If i can find what i did with my letter i'll show you. he allows personal protection as a reason and she said keep it short and sweet just a paragraph or so. not a whole paper.

I sent holly and email a month ago on the status and she said it will take 3 months and there’s nothing she can do to speed up the process. She stated she will notify me when it comes in or if any issues arise.

Back
Top Bottom