Non-Resident RI permit.

If I recall, the Johnston application requires a notarized signature by the applicant at the end, plus notarized recommendation letters. Or maybe it was just reference names last time, I forget.

The qualification score page is completed and signed by an NRA certified instructor or Police Range Officer.

Foster requires the applicant sig to be notarized as well as the ID copies submitted to be notarized (I'm doing a qual certification for someone who just provided me w/ Foster application).
Do you have a CCW through Foster, RI? If so, how long did it take to get and how long ago did you get it?

Got the finger prints done today. Took about ten minutes from the time I walked into the police station until I left.

Now all I need is for the letters of reference to show up and then get the application notarized.

Got the finger prints done today. Took about ten minutes from the time I walked into the police station until I left.

Now all I need is for the letters of reference to show up and then get the application notarized.
What town? Res or non-res?

References don't have to live in RI, do they?
I have written references for people who live in RI so guessing not.

<edit> Come to think of it, four of of the six letters I have submitted for my RI licenses have not been from RI residents. One of my company reps is a woman LTC holder from RI so we write each other letters every time.

Last edited:
Just picked up my renewal from Narragansett. Dropped off Renewal Application end of July. Renewal ready October 12th. I missed an email with a question for 3 weeks so it may have been quicker. The licensing officer was polite and quick to respond to any questions I had.

I will be doing a qualification at Hopkinton Sportsmens (weather permitting, any cancellation in this thread) at 1400 tomorrow 11/13/2022. This was set up to take care of a few close friends, however, as long as I am going to be there, I might as well open it up to NES members. Rightmost of two gates, follow past right range to far pistol pit. PM for cell #. No RSVP happening - I already have quorum.

Last edited:
Cranston, about three weeks from drop off to pick up. Download their application, follow the directions exactly, submit.
LMAOOOOOOO I’ve been waiting over 160 days from Foster. Supposedly they are currently running 190 day turnarounds.

Thank you to those who use other towns. North Kingstown had a very fast turnaround. Cranston is good too.

Maybe others will finally get the hint (or just read what was said) and stop swamping an 8 person police department in the middle of the woods off Route 6…

Firstly, good on you for getting all those licenses and permits. You're a good, honest citizen and that deserves some recognition... but truth be told, none of that means shit here.

Upfront you're looking at spending $300, then you also have to qualify on a range. IDK where you go for that and I doubt you'll be able to get around doing it outside the state.

The likelihood is you'll be denied first, then it'll be up to you to put time and effort into doing the appeal, which you'll more than likely pass.

It's a tremendous amount of bullshit and why it costs nothing and requires nothing to carry a gun in New Hampshire, but it costs nearly a weeks pay in Rhode Island to do the same thing just shows how everything you want to do here is a privilege and not a right that requires permission by a govt agent before you do it.

Personally, unless you have a reason to be in Rhode Island (family, work, etc), there's no reason to ever step foot here or spend a dollar here. If you're planning a vacation or something, skip Southern New England and go straight to New Hampshire and Maine.
then what permit

The friend who told me about Cranston also mentioned Foster. He said that they are easy, but take forever to process the applications because so many people go there. Cranston was an easy drive for me, right off of I-95. Well, off of Route 10, which is right off of I-95. Almost literally at the bottom of the off ramp.

I have no idea how big CPD is, but there's a lot of self serve info for reports and such in the desk area. The front desk is only staffed during the day from what I saw.

Thank you to those who use other towns. North Kingstown had a very fast turnaround. Cranston is good too.

Maybe others will finally get the hint (or just read what was said) and stop swamping an 8 person police department in the middle of the woods off Route 6…

I've been waiting over 100 days on Foster. Do you know on average how long it takes for them to process an application? I know they're a small department.
The above was posted in September.

Does anybody have any update (other than "I heard") on Foster processing times?

I submitted my application on September 13th and they cashed my check on November 18th. Haven't heard anything at all.

The above was posted in September.

Does anybody have any update (other than "I heard") on Foster processing times?

I submitted my application on September 13th and they cashed my check on November 18th. Haven't heard anything at all.
196 days and counting. Last confirmed pick up was on Reddit and his took 185 days. That was back in October. You’re looking at a year wait probably.

too bad there's no 40 day law like MA.. [rofl]
What 40-day law? If there is, it certainly doesn't apply to non-residents. I've been waiting well over 220 days from mailing in my application and 80+ days from my in-person appointment in Chelsea. Their website says 90 days.

I believe that only applies to resident permits, but the truth is it seems to be ignored in many places.

What 40-day law? If there is, it certainly doesn't apply to non-residents. I've been waiting well over 220 days from mailing in my application and 80+ days from my in-person appointment in Chelsea. Their website says 90 days.

So.. can anyone provide info on the blue card test? Any questions that a non-resident would not generally know the answer to?

I assume the test is the same for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom