• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

I have had good luck w/ Johnston, RI. I submitted my renewal application by mail in Mid-September. They called me when their received my paperwork and they called me on Friday to let me know they mailed it. They charge $300 plus the $40 fee, they said to mail the $300 w/ the Application and that I can mail them a check for the $40 when my license arrives (haven't checked the mail today). They seem agreeable to doing it all by mail which is a plus.

<edit> just went out and checked the mailbox, my LTC arrived, I'm good thru Jan 2025 [banana]

they are really charging 300 + the 40 fee? I need to get mine renewed since it expires in June

they are really charging 300 + the 40 fee? I need to get mine renewed since it expires in June

They are. I believe some other towns are too.

Or you can play the phone lottery w EG, hope you’re one of the lucky 20 that month that get through, fill out your paperwork, schedule an appointment for an interview, and then wait at least 90 days after the interview to go pick it up.

I did my entire thing by mail, they called to tell me when they received my packet, when they mailed out my license and the whole thing took 2 1/2 mos from the day I put my packet in the mail.

They are. I believe some other towns are too.

Or you can play the phone lottery w EG, hope you’re one of the lucky 20 that month that get through, fill out your paperwork, schedule an appointment for an interview, and then wait at least 90 days after the interview to go pick it up.

I did my entire thing by mail, they called to tell me when they received my packet, when they mailed out my license and the whole thing took 2 1/2 mos from the day I put my packet in the mail.

thanks... i'll give them a call tomorrow

Yes, some towns are charging $300+, which from what I understand is illegal, but they're doing it anyway. Some towns have been challenged in court over this and have had to back off from the extra fee, I believe. I'll see if I can find something concrete to back this up.

Frank

Yes, some towns are charging $300+, which from what I understand is illegal, but they're doing it anyway.
It presents an interesting quandry. Is if better for a RI town to refuse non-resident applications because the small $$ is not worth the time, or tolerate them breaking the law with what amounts to a sanctioned bribe to process the applications?

I got mine from Johnston on Dec 7 and they didn’t cash my $300 check until Dec 23rd. And they asked me to mail them the $40 when they left the voicemail that they had mailed the LTC

I got mine from Johnston on Dec 7 and they didn’t cash my $300 check until Dec 23rd. And they asked me to mail them the $40 when they left the voicemail that they had mailed the LTC
I don't mean this to nit-pick, but the "they cashed my check, the license will arrive soon" posts happen all the time in all sorts of threads. So some education is intended here.

- Checks made out to a business/gov't agency name can NOT be cashed, they must be deposited to a matching account.
- Gov't bodies do not deposit checks, they send them to the treasurer who later deposits them. The gov't body might sit on the checks for days/weeks/months and so might the treasurer. [Same thing really for most businesses.]

So, the take-away is that check deposits are no indication that action is taking place on your application for anything.

I don't mean this to nit-pick, but the "they cashed my check, the license will arrive soon" posts happen all the time in all sorts of threads. So some education is intended here.

- Checks made out to a business/gov't agency name can NOT be cashed, they must be deposited to a matching account.
- Gov't bodies do not deposit checks, they send them to the treasurer who later deposits them. The gov't body might sit on the checks for days/weeks/months and so might the treasurer. [Same thing really for most businesses.]

So, the take-away is that check deposits are no indication that action is taking place on your application for anything.
Well that sucks then and I was informed wrong. The person in charge of the application process informed me that checks do not get deposited until they receive the permit.

Well that sucks then and I was informed wrong. The person in charge of the application process informed me that checks do not get deposited until they receive the permit.
That would be an internal policy. As I stated above, in general you can't base the date you get your license on the date the check clears your bank. As examples: I received my mail-order PA license and NH license in hand days before they deposited my checks. This was in a time period when you got the license within 4-10 days from submittal of your application (not recently).

That would be an internal policy. As I stated above, in general you can't base the date you get your license on the date the check clears your bank. As examples: I received my mail-order PA license and NH license in hand days before they deposited my checks. This was in a time period when you got the license within 4-10 days from submittal of your application (not recently).
Is there a chance my application would get denied or would I have found out already? Any idea

Is there a chance my application would get denied or would I have found out already? Any idea
I've never bothered to apply in RI, so no idea.

I have qualified people for the RI license, so I am familiar with those requirements and I've been a town (MA) employee in the past, so I'm familiar with their finance policies. Also as a business owner, my bank manager explained that any checks made out to a business entity can't be "cashed", only deposited due to banking laws.

If you had your interview 90 days ago I imagine you’d know by now if you were being declined. Patience Grasshopper, they’re backlogged.

If you had your interview 90 days ago I imagine you’d know by now if you were being declined. Patience Grasshopper, they’re backlogged.

pretty much this. she is swamped. not only did they get so many ltc applications RI also passed that law earlier this year that firearms purchases have to be processed in the town you live in. not the town you purchase it. so she has to do all of that stuff too.

Is their one city that would be best or easiest for me to apply for a permit to carry a handgun with?

I have my NRA basic pistol class with level 4 shooting (best)

I also have a license to carry from my home State of residence of Texas. I also have a permit to carry from NH and Maine. I have pending applications for a CCW/LTC with Ut, Ct, Az, Fl, & Illinois. All of which I should receive before the end of the year.

So I am wondering if it would be to my best benefit to wait until I have received all those CCW/LTC’s prior to applying for a RI permit?

As I understand it, RI is a shall issue issued by a city, but may issue if issued by the state AG? In which case what city is the easiest to apply with, without having to show up in person? Ie be done through the mail.

Is hiring someone to write the “letter” worth paying for?

I had no problems when I went to Westerly to get my permit but then again I also happen to own a second home in Westerly so my case is quite a bit different than others.

Does anybody’s Non-resident permit say non-resident on it? Mine doesn’t and I didn’t know if it was because I own a home in the town I applied to?

Mine doesn’t and I don’t own property in RI. Says RI Civilian Concealed Carry Pistol Permit. It does have my MA address on it and they did include a very nice CCW sash...

Mine doesn't say non-resident either and clearly shows my MA address, so it's pretty obvious that it's a non-resident permit. That said, I'm now a resident and am trying to get the address on my permit changed to reflect that.

Frank

Mine doesn't say non-resident either and clearly shows my MA address, so it's pretty obvious that it's a non-resident permit. That said, I'm now a resident and am trying to get the address on my permit changed to reflect that.

Frank
You consider moving from MA to RI escaping? 😂😂😂😂

You consider moving from MA to RI escaping? 😂😂😂😂
Hah!

Well, it sure is a lot easier buying what you want here...if you can find it...plus, if you can't find it locally, you can go through an ffl for pretty much anything you want. Plus, no restrictions on magazines (yet) or on who to buy ammo from online. So, I'm going to stock up on all of the above while I can!

Frank

Hah!

Well, it sure is a lot easier buying what you want here...if you can find it...plus, if you can't find it locally, you can go through an ffl for pretty much anything you want. Plus, no restrictions on magazines (yet) or on who to buy ammo from online. So, I'm going to stock up on all of the above while I can!

Frank
You already have your non-res LTC so hopefully you‘re all set. For most people getting a RI res LTC is harder than for most people in MA getting their LTC and it’s definitely easier for a non-res to get a RI non res LTC that it is for a RI res to get a resident one (and it’s also harder for RI res to get a MA nonres LTC than the other way around). I’m right on the MA/RI border, my RI friends can get all the guns they want but none of them can carry. Pick your poison, lol.

Good luck getting your car registered in RI, that’s a bigger shitshow than even the MA RMV right now.

Back
Top Bottom