Non-Resident RI permit.

The back of mine contains a statement that the permit or any part may not be reproduced in any manner and that I agree that violation is grounds to revoke the permit.

It is titled "Concealed Carry Permit" (Non Resident or Civilian are not mentioned)

>pretty obvious that it's a non-resident permit.

Unless, of course, you get into the subtle difference in meaning between "non resident permit" and "permit issued to a non resident".

The back of mine contains a statement that the permit or any part may not be reproduced in any manner and that I agree that violation is grounds to revoke the permit.

It is titled "Concealed Carry Permit" (Non Resident or Civilian are not mentioned)

>pretty obvious that it's a non-resident permit.

Unless, of course, you get into the subtle difference in meaning between "non resident permit" and "permit issued to a non resident".
I am just wondering if town issued formats differ from town to town. Mine just says Town of Narragansett no address stated.

Karma - Two targets each to the first two people who ask and are confident they will actually use them. Please don't "in" this unless you are actually going to go through the process, as doing so will deprive someone who would actually use them.

I often use the target insert when qualifying people I know, since I don't associate with shooters who are not able to hit just the insert (replacement for center section). That is not by design on my part; I'm just fortunate to have competent friends.

I know of four people including myself with RI permits, and they all came from the AGs office. The key is being able to offer a specific reason/need that cannot apply to just anyone who asserts it. But, I may have some inertia at my back since I have been renewing since they were hand signed on white laminated card stock (1992).

The relevant term is "ultra vires".
rob, did someone claim the karma?

i finally got a date in late february through east greenwich and could use the targets. could also use an official scorer if you have time? thanks

So is the consensus that East Greenwich is the friendliest to non-residents? Do they charge the extra $300 fee? What are folks putting for reason/justification/necessity?

So is the consensus that East Greenwich is the friendliest to non-residents? Do they charge the extra $300 fee? What are folks putting for reason/justification/necessity?

EG is friendly but you have to get through the phone lottery. You call on a prescribed day of the month and the first 20 that get in are scheduled for an interview. The process is pretty long, at least six months from what I'm hearing. No $300 AFAIK

Johnston is also very friendly, no phone lottery, they do charge $300. The turnaround for my "renewal" was 2 1/2 mos from when I mailed it to when I received it. I sent in the application via mail and they called and left a message when they received the packed and again when they mailed it out. They say they don't really do it as a renewal, they process it as another new application but I do have the feeling mine was quicker because I already had one w/ them.

I just got my EG license this week. I had my in-person interview in December 2020 and received it exactly 3 months later. The fee was only $40 ish. I wrote a few sentences about wanting it for self-defense purposes.

It wasn't really an interview. It was mostly just answering questions to do the background check. Holly is extremely nice and makes the process pretty easy.
I will be going through Johnston but are they asking you the same questions that are on the application? For the letter, did you use any templates or leave it for each person to make their own?

I will be going through Johnston but are they asking you the same questions that are on the application? For the letter, did you use any templates or leave it for each person to make their own?
I'm not sure how they do it in Johnston, but yes, they asked questions similar to what was on the application. I wrote my own letter that was short and sweet. If you message me your email, I can send it over to you.

permit in hand (finally) from EG, 3 months and 3 days from my interview, 4 months and 14 days from first contact. with holly
What did you write in your letter about why you need it? Did you write the other letters and just have them sign them? I got my application from Johnston but also applied for my C&R from the ATF so I'm waiting for that to come in first.

What did you write in your letter about why you need it? Did you write the other letters and just have them sign them? I got my application from Johnston but also applied for my C&R from the ATF so I'm waiting for that to come in first.
all my references wrote their own, and i wrote about my travelling into ri for work and staying with my fiancé. its all theater, i really think they could care less what it says

just curious.. is having family there a valid reason. (I.e., frequent travel)?
Considering that LIVING there is not a valid reason, probably not.

Valid reasons are:
I am friends with the mayor
I go to church with the police chief
My last name is Gemma
....that's about it.

I think the C&R was a big help with mine in Narragansett. They asked me to rewrite my letter stressing the C&R. He said we are giving you the LTC but could you punch up the letter a bit

I think the C&R was a big help with mine in Narragansett. They asked me to rewrite my letter stressing the C&R. He said we are giving you the LTC but could you punch up the letter a bit

This.
There was a RI Supreme Court case:

On June 10th, 2004. the Rhode Island Supreme Court issued their decision in the case of Mosby v Devine. In this decision, the Court held that being a firearm collector constitutes a “proper reason” to carry a handgun. Therefore, all firearms collectors who are also “suitable to be licensed” are entitled to a concealed handgun permit from the appropriate licensing authority (usually the police chief of the town they live in). The Mosby decision can be found here (warning – this is a large PDF file):

http://www.courts.state.ri.us/supreme/p ... 01-161.pdf

In this case, the plaintiff was a firearms collector licensed by BATFE with a C&R license. Does simple having this license make him a firearms collector? I don’t know, nor does anyone else. I would strongly argue that it does. Is a C&R required to be a collector? I would argue that it does not. However, it sure does not hurt.

At this point, to the best of my knowledge, the only reason any court in RI has held to be a “proper reason” for the purposes of R.I.G.L. §11-47-11(a) is being a firearm collector. I am not aware of any reasons which have held to not be proper. There is almost no case law on this. So at this point I recommend that people get a C&R license before making application for a concealed handgun permit to a police chief. I do not feel this is required to have a proper reason and I am not even certain it will help greatly, but I do think every applicant who can be considered a collector list this, along with other reasons, as a “proper reason.”

I've been going through the AG's office to renew mine for some time.

Going through Westerly PD would be more convenient in the sense that I would save some driving time.

Anybody have luck going through Westerly? Or is it just not worth the extra trouble?

Going through Westerly PD would be more convenient in the sense that I would save some driving time.

Anybody have luck going through Westerly? Or is it just not worth the extra trouble?

Did you get your current one from the AG's office? My understanding from the towns is that they don't "renew" licenses, they simply issue new ones each time. Not sure what the AG's process is although everyone I have spoken to seems to say it's easier going through certain towns like East Greenwich, Johnston and a couple of others since they operate pretty much on a shall issue basis for non-residents (I'm right on the RI border so know a fair amount of gun owners in both States and have gone through Johnston twice for mine). Haven't heard about Westerly but would be interested to hear how it goes if you go through them.

Did you get your current one from the AG's office? My understanding from the towns is that they don't "renew" licenses, they simply issue new ones each time. Not sure what the AG's process is although everyone I have spoken to seems to say it's easier going through certain towns like East Greenwich, Johnston and a couple of others since they operate pretty much on a shall issue basis for non-residents (I'm right on the RI border so know a fair amount of gun owners in both States and have gone through Johnston twice for mine). Haven't heard about Westerly but would be interested to hear how it goes if you go through them.

The AG permits and town permits are issued under two separate statutes, RIGL 11-47-18 and 11-47-11, respectively. The two carry permits are separately issued and not "interchangeable." For example, under 11-47-35.1, town permit holders are exempt from the seven day gun buying waiting period.

There's nothing in the statues that would stop an applicant from allowing an AG permit to expire and then applying to a town. Though, most town applications ask if someone's ever held a permit elsewhere before, so the Westerly police might ask questions about why the applicant no longer has or no longer pursues an AG permit. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AG permits and town permits are issued under two separate statutes, RIGL 11-47-18 and 11-47-11, respectively. The two carry permits are separately issued and not "interchangeable." For example, under 11-47-35.1, town permit holders are exempt from the seven day gun buying waiting period.
And only the AG permit allows open carry. Neither is a complete subset of the other in terms of what it covers, except for non-residents who are federally prohibited from buying handguns out of state.

That is really interesting info guys, thanks, I had no idea.
I'll stick with the AG then (have had a RI pistol permit for some time now).

Wife and I applied at EG on 11/12/2021 as Non Residents. On 2/15/2022, Holly called and said the permits were approved and were being mailed. Total time was 95 days.

We didn't call to bug her about progress because that only creates more work for EGPD, and makes the backlog for everyone in the pipeline longer.

Holly was professional and kind. Glad we chose EGPD. Thank you Holly.

Wife and I now have Maryland, D.C., Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire, Utah, and Florida.

Wife and I are waiting for Connecticut to process, and that will be a while. I have heard stories of it taking 9 months for initial CT Non Resident Permits.

Next permit goal is Massachusetts.

Its unfortunate that Illinois and Oregon won't let us apply for a Non Resident based on where we live. North Dakota also stopped accepting the permits we hold as well.

Last I heard Maryland was applying a very strict "need" requirement. Did you have a special situation; know someone or have things loosened up a bit?

You probably already know this, but you need a course from a MA certified instructor to get your MA permit (even the "temporary non-resident" one year permit). I am #007 (really), but doing much active instructing - but I know of many opportunities for such classes that can be done in a single day if you are going to be visiting the DPRM.

Rob,

Maryland is still a may issue state, but things did change 2 years ago, if you are a Business Owner. The governor instructed the State Police to issue unrestricted permits to business owners due to business owners getting arrested for "carrying outside their restrictions" when doing things like responding to a burglar alarm to their business or making bank deposits which all fell under the restrictions. In the past just about all permits were restricted in some way, now business owners are unrestricted.

Oddly, if you do business in Maryland, the State Police will issue a Non Resident Permit if you show business transactions and take the 16 hour maryland class.

Im a FFL and I run a training school called School of the American Rifle. This was my saving grace for a Maryland Permit.

Yes Sir, I am aware of the MA training requirement. My wife and I will have to come up to square that away before applying. I need to find a trainer and time to come up. I should have arranged it when I drove up to R.I.

Last edited:
Thinking about applying for my non-resident permit now that things have "changed"
I've looked around but not found anything about the RI AG's response to the SCOUS decision. Does anyone have any info or advice?

Thinking about applying for my non-resident permit now that things have "changed"
I've looked around but not found anything about the RI AG's response to the SCOUS decision. Does anyone have any info or advice?
Go to Johnston or East Greenwich, they have been issuing on a shall issue basis all along to non-residents who have LTCs in their home states. Some other towns have as well.

Back
Top Bottom