Non-Resident RI permit.

I had a revelation.
The first five shots were mediocre. I learned the crush grip at MAG 40 in August, and that tends to cause shaking. After the five shots, I remembered that the crush grip was supposed to be paired with the wedge hold, so I put the middle finger of my dominant hand right up against the bottom of the trigger guard. I then tried to push the index finger of my supporting hand between the middle and the trigger guard, essentially wedging up the muzzle. The shaking stopped dead. The technique was outstanding. The rest of the shots were mostly in the black and 9 rings.
At Mag 40, Mas and Russ shot nearly perfect scores on his qual. Gives me something to strive for.

You sound like a golfer who finally put it all together... once, lol.

Last edited:
Shoot! I'm so bummed that I'm just reading all this now, as I absolutely would've been there Saturday for the qual. I wasn't doing anything Saturday, and now I'm kicking myself! I'm a member at Hopkinton also. Sounds like many interested people didn't end up going, so is there any chance of setting up another date in Hopkinton if others can commit to coming? Thanks...

Shoot! I'm so bummed that I'm just reading all this now, as I absolutely would've been there Saturday for the qual. I wasn't doing anything Saturday, and now I'm kicking myself! I'm a member at Hopkinton also. Sounds like many interested people didn't end up going, so is there any chance of setting up another date in Hopkinton if others can commit to coming? Thanks...
Not setting up another date this year. I believe Mass Firearms School will do the qual for $50ish.

If you are a member at Hopkinton you probably know an NRA certified instructor. I backed out of Rob's generous offer (and told him) after reading the applicable RI statute 11-47-16 and sending out a few inquiries to locate an Army-L target. I had one of the other NRA instructors at the club sign off on my score. It took less than 15 minutes to shoot it and that included walking downrange after the first 10 shots to verify the point of impact. All the instructor had to do was sign the qualification page on the application and email me a pdf copy of his NRA instructor card for the application.

If you are a member at Hopkinton you probably know an NRA certified instructor. I backed out of Rob's generous offer (and told him) after reading the applicable RI statute 11-47-16 and sending out a few inquiries to locate an Army-L target. I had one of the other NRA instructors at the club sign off on my score. It took less than 15 minutes to shoot it and that included walking downrange after the first 10 shots to verify the point of impact. All the instructor had to do was sign the qualification page on the application and email me a pdf copy of his NRA instructor card for the application.
Since you are a member, I would have been glad to give you a target to take elsewhere for your qualification. And yes, the paperwork is that easy.

Since you are a member, I would have been glad to give you a target to take elsewhere for your qualification. And yes, the paperwork is that easy.
Rob. Thanks for the offer. I'm a member at Marshfield and an NRA instructor. We have 36 instructors that staff our monthly BFS safety classes, so I had a large sample to choose from. A couple of emails located the targets and an instructor. I'll return the favor if they want to apply.

I sent my application off to Foster RI yesterday. Optimistic about it. We'll see what happens.

Just an FYI to anyone in MA who needs FBI Finger Print cards. My department will do the prints, but because they use an electronic system for booking and other in house functions they don't have any paper cards. You may want to call before hand and see if they have them or if you need to find some on your own.

Sorry I missed this. It didn’t go down as advertised. I pm’d with my email to set up a date, then a date was set with no email.

It’s cool, just stop giving me shit because I had something else to do in that day.

When I went to get prints for an NFA Form 1, the officer put the print card in the holder (electronic only for booking and other stuff) and told me to take my own prints. Must be a covid thing.

Sorry I missed this. It didn’t go down as advertised. I pm’d with my email to set up a date, then a date was set with no email.

It’s cool, just stop giving me shit because I had something else to do in that day.
But this in NES, we live for giving people shit… 😂😂

They've spent the past several years cleaning up the department fixing problems. Once Manny Cachopa was removed they hired an outside chief and he stopped a lot of the BS. The current chief is pretty good, other than some of the inherited problems regarding firearms confiscation. She completely revamped the LTC application process. She's kept the policy of issuing unrestricted LTCs. Even renewals, which were a PITA are much better now.

They recently got rid of via resignation a detective that was a problem child, which never would have happened in the old days.

With all the problems that they have had over the years, I don't think that you'd ever want to own that department!!

Just an FYI to anyone in MA who needs FBI Finger Print cards. My department will do the prints, but because they use an electronic system for booking and other in house functions they don't have any paper cards. You may want to call before hand and see if they have them or if you need to find some on your own.
You can buy a stack of FD-258 (FBI non-criminal fingerprint cards) on Amazon for a low rate too.

Best to get the cards from the agency you will be submitting them to since they are generally pre-printed with the agency info.

The officer I talked with said that they don't have cards, but if I got one I could walk in during business hours and they'd do them for me. The RI town where I'm applying says that they don't provide cards, but that they can be picked up at the AG's office in Cranston or any RI police department. That town will only do prints for town residents though.

It's an odd ball process to be honest. Sort of like a scavenger hunt and once you get everything you send it in and they will call you to come down and pick up the license. The firearms qualification was the first item on the list and during the week I've been picking away at everything else.

Best to get the cards from the agency you will be submitting them to since they are generally pre-printed with the agency info.

The ORI is the only thing specific to an agency. the agency can write that in, and they only need to do that if they mail it to the FBI, almost no agency does this anymore as it cost them about an extra $5.

The officer I talked with said that they don't have cards, but if I got one I could walk in during business hours and they'd do them for me. The RI town where I'm applying says that they don't provide cards, but that they can be picked up at the AG's office in Cranston or any RI police department. That town will only do prints for town residents though.

It's an odd ball process to be honest. Sort of like a scavenger hunt and once you get everything you send it in and they will call you to come down and pick up the license. The firearms qualification was the first item on the list and during the week I've been picking away at everything else.
Ask that town if they do livescan prints for pistol permits.

If not and they won’t print you, then ask them if they really need prints since they aren’t required by statute and if they require them, that they should be accommodating you since it’s their requirement that’s not in the RIGL

If both of the above fail, then just get a set of fingerprints from your local PD. For the reason in the FD-258, write RI 11-47-11.

Remember, some of these departments shoot from the hip on what they want and what they can do. This will likely fade away after they get more applicants and begin to treat this as a SOP instead of a novelty.

It doesn't really matter because this town is specific about wanting them inked on FBI cards and that they will not do them for non residents of the town. I'm not going to ask them if they really need prints, nor am I going to ask them why they want the application signed in two different places, why they want the letters of reference notarized, or why they want me to send along a passport photo instead of them taking a digital photo. Oh, and they want the reason for permit letter notarized as well.

As you note, they shoot from the hip and the only consistency is that they all seem to use some variation of the AG permit. In this town's case they have a fillable PDF which applicants can download.

My town will do them in ink, but they don't keep cards since like most 21st Century PDs they do scan them in. Even though I have my LTC from my town and they have my prints they won't print them out.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I've completed about 85% of the process and essentially I'm waiting for the three letters of reference.

Ask that town if they do livescan prints for pistol permits.

If not and they won’t print you, then ask them if they really need prints since they aren’t required by statute and if they require them, that they should be accommodating you since it’s their requirement that’s not in the RIGL

If both of the above fail, then just get a set of fingerprints from your local PD. For the reason in the FD-258, write RI 11-47-11.

Remember, some of these departments shoot from the hip on what they want and what they can do. This will likely fade away after they get more applicants and begin to treat this as a SOP instead of a novelty.

For future reference for anyone having fingerprint issues of any kind. Nothing stops you from having a place like FedEx (many locations offer this service) roll your prints on the card. FD-258 cards say nothing about who took your prints except for the persons signature. Your spouse could roll your prints and scribble their name on the signature line.

The truth is, FD-258 print cards are on the honor system because they could be anyone’s prints (as long as they don’t have a record) and no one would know.

If departments were serious about accurate prints, they would use Identogo like many states that require prints do or have prints rolled in house.

I remember years back the Arizona DPS telling an applicant to roll their own prints if they needed to… no joke.

Foster is perfectly fine. You’ll have absolutely zero issues.

just follow their instructions to a T (duplicate first page stapled to a manilla folder. If you live outside of Rhode Island and have an out-of-state license, you will also have no issues whatsoever.

If you live in Rhode Island but do not have a residence or a place of business in foster they are going to ask why you did not apply to the other licensing authority where you reside or work.
I've been waiting over 100 days on Foster. Do you know on average how long it takes for them to process an application? I know they're a small department.

Back
Top Bottom