Non-Resident RI permit.

Don’t apply to Foster. They have one person processing applications part time. I’m at six months, and was told not to bother them. They’d call when they were ready.

I don’t think you actually need 5 people. What you need is a $100 donation to the club. I’m pretty sure all of the following scenarios would work for Rob:
1 person x $100 donation;
2 people x $50 donation each;
3 people x $33.33 donation each;
4 people x $25 donation each…

I don’t think you actually need 5 people. What you need is a $100 donation to the club. I’m pretty sure all of the following scenarios would work for Rob:
I’m in for the extra dough if that’s what it takes

Yup. It;'s an ego thing - I like to think my time is worth something, and I don't want to schedule a free event, have half the people who reserved show up, and wonder why I spend the time.

If you are really in a hurry, there is the "Go commercial" option at MA Firearms or American Firearms School.

Last edited:
If you are really in a hurry, there is the "Go commercial" option at MA Firearms or American Firearms School.
Or if you in the North Shore area and don't mind traveling to Londonderry, I can do it even for one person at Londonderry F&G on short notice. I do charge for it however. And you can do your tax free shopping on the way back to the gulag.

I am down to throw whatever if needed but would like to get a group together that is all definites so we are not wasting Rob's time and so we can bring down cost for everyone. Not in a rush to take it so I can wait for a solid group to form. Looks like we have 3 definites so far.

1. Matt (Me)- @mattcat38
2. @bostonasphalt2
3. Joe- @yanquidog

Any other takers?? RI qualification Hopkinton in March

Last edited:
Absol-f'in-lootley. Not counting the close personal friends (which is I why I was doing the qual), the NES show-up rate was 50%
What? Matt (not mattcat) and I showed up in addition to the friends you were doing this for.

Out the guys who did not show!

I am down to throw whatever if needed but would like to get a group together that is all definites so we are not wasting Rob's time and so we can bring down cost for everyone. Not in a rush to take it so I can wait for a solid group to form. Looks like we have 3 definites so far.

1. Matt (Me)- @mattcat38
2. @bostonasphalt2
3. Joe- @yanquidog

Any other takers?? RI qualification Hopkinton in March
I’ll show for the chit chat.

Don’t apply to Foster. They have one person processing applications part time. I’m at six months, and was told not to bother them. They’d call when they were ready.
I was in the same boat. I applied to Foster mid August 2022. They cashed the check a month later. I figured things would start moving...nope. On Jan 31 I got a call saying I was approved and giving me an appointment for prints and pic the first week of March 2023. So it was basically 5 1/2 months from the time the app went in, until I got the call and will be close to 7 before the actual visit to the PD. How long after that before I have it in hand is also a mystery. But the hard part (waiting with no info) is over now.

And word is out that Foster is straighforward...instructors are recommending them, so the demand is high. Thinking they keep their unprocessed apps in a warehouse that looks like the last scene from Raiders of the Ark. Got "Top Men" working on them.

I was in the same boat. I applied to Foster mid August 2022. They cashed the check a month later. I figured things would start moving...nope. On Jan 31 I got a call saying I was approved and giving me an appointment for prints and pic the first week of March 2023. So it was basically 5 1/2 months from the time the app went in, until I got the call and will be close to 7 before the actual visit to the PD. How long after that before I have it in hand is also a mystery. But the hard part (waiting with no info) is over now.

And word is out that Foster is straighforward...instructors are recommending them, so the demand is high. Thinking they keep their unprocessed apps in a warehouse that looks like the last scene from Raiders of the Ark. Got "Top Men" working on them.
Foster also doesn’t do themselves any favors.

References aren’t needed, a love letter of why one wants a permit isn’t needed either.

They can also use permitium as an online application portal and identigo for prints and a signature for those who don’t go in person.
many licensing authorities do this all over the country. Including many in California.

References aren’t needed, a love letter of why one wants a permit isn’t needed either.

They can also use permitium as an online application portal and identigo for prints and a signature for those who don’t go in person.
many licensing authorities do this all over the country. Including many in California.
I had to provide references and an explanation (although this probably a moot point now). Whether they contacted those references is another matter. But they asked for them. Mind you not a letter of reference, just contact info.

Or if you in the North Shore area and don't mind traveling to Londonderry, I can do it even for one person at Londonderry F&G on short notice. I do charge for it however. And you can do your tax free shopping on the way back to the gulag.
Make it in Massachusetts. Spend it in NH. Buy cigarettes, lottery tickets and booze. Then go home!

Funny how different towns have different demands. Westerly wants a visit to a proctology clinic, with live streaming of the visit sent to the police department so they can watch. They're nasty.

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions regarding town licensing, and figured this might be as good a place as any to ask...rather than starting a whole new thread.

I originally obtained my RI CCP from Cranston as a non-resident (even though we've owned our home here in RI for 20+ years), and then when we moved here full time a couple of years ago, I notified Cranston PD of the move, and they issued me a new license with my "new" RI address on it.

Fast forward to now, since I'm up for renewal soon. According to Cranston's website, they will no longer process license applications or renewals from RI residents, unless you actually live in Cranston. So in looking at my town's (Portsmouth) requirements, even for renewals, they still require written and notarized letters of reference from three people. I think this is a HUGE imposition, and I refuse to go back to people I got references from four years ago...or anyone else for that matter, and ask them to do this for me. Plus, in my opinion, this requirement flies in the face of Bruen, if I understand that decision correctly.

Any advice for me on what to write on the application in response to this request? Is there maybe a particular section of the Bruen decision that might be appropriate to quote?

And can any of you recommend a good attorney in RI who is well versed in 2A law, in case it comes down to that?

Thanks!

Frank

When I got my RI license in Cranston a few months ago the licensing officer told me that I would receive no notification, would have to qualify again, and would have to go through the entire process.

You might want to call and ask about that before you engage in a battle with them.

I have a couple of questions regarding town licensing, and figured this might be as good a place as any to ask...rather than starting a whole new thread.

I originally obtained my RI CCP from Cranston as a non-resident (even though we've owned our home here in RI for 20+ years), and then when we moved here full time a couple of years ago, I notified Cranston PD of the move, and they issued me a new license with my "new" RI address on it.

Fast forward to now, since I'm up for renewal soon. According to Cranston's website, they will no longer process license applications or renewals from RI residents, unless you actually live in Cranston. So in looking at my town's (Portsmouth) requirements, even for renewals, they still require written and notarized letters of reference from three people. I think this is a HUGE imposition, and I refuse to go back to people I got references from four years ago...or anyone else for that matter, and ask them to do this for me. Plus, in my opinion, this requirement flies in the face of Bruen, if I understand that decision correctly.

Any advice for me on what to write on the application in response to this request? Is there maybe a particular section of the Bruen decision that might be appropriate to quote?

And can any of you recommend a good attorney in RI who is well versed in 2A law, in case it comes down to that?

Thanks!

Frank

Thanks!

Frank
Chas Calenda in Coventry.

When I got my RI license in Cranston a few months ago the licensing officer told me that I would receive no notification, would have to qualify again, and would have to go through the entire process.

You might want to call and ask about that before you engage in a battle with them.

I understand that I have to go through the qualification again. That's not what I'm at all concerned about. What I am concerned about is that now that I'm living in Portsmouth, I have to apply here in Portsmouth, where they require 3 written and notarized letters of reference. That, I don't want to have to do.

I WISH I could reapply in Cranston. Just a one page renewal application. Looks to be nice and easy and straightforward. It's this f'n town of Portsmouth that I'm concerned about.

Frank

I understand that I have to go through the qualification again. That's not what I'm at all concerned about. What I am concerned about is that now that I'm living in Portsmouth, I have to apply here in Portsmouth, where they require 3 written and notarized letters of reference. That, I don't want to have to do.

I WISH I could reapply in Cranston. Just a one page renewal application. Looks to be nice and easy and straightforward. It's this f'n town of Portsmouth that I'm concerned about.

Frank

I'm surprised, I thought that for RI Resident you had to go through the town you live in or the AG's office, I didn't realize you could go through other towns as a RI Resident. Perhaps try one of the other non-res friendly towns and see if they'll do it for you?

Frank
I believe the rule, confusing as it is goes something like this:

If you are a resident you apply in the town you live in.
However, if you have a LTC from any other jurisdiction you can apply in other towns (assuming they accept non-residents of said town but live in RI). The most common thing I see is people paying the fee to take the class and get a Utah LTC or some other widely recognized state and then applying in a different town.

I have a feeling this madness will stop at some point and everyone will have to apply in the town in which they live. In which case I will make a stink because towns do their own thing and even change the wording of the app. Everyone follow the same process and use the same app.

Examples:
Foster is almost verbatim the AG app. Give them a couple reference names, qualifying score and good to go. I'm told Burriville is similar and sounds like Cranston is as well

Cumberland tweaks the wording of the app for some questions like have you ever been "committed or treated for mental illness or substance abuse". They also require you to sign blank releases for your primary care physician, and every psych hospital in southern New England. Whether they actually request records or not I don't know. It could just allow them to ask for records if they see something and they want more info. They also want to know why you're applying in Cumberland ifyou don't live in Cumberland.

Lincoln I'm told they want a letter from your primary care that basically says you're not a homicidal maniac

East Greenwich Only allows a certain number of non residents per month. Residents get priority

Woonsocket Last I heard they required LTC holders to re-qualify every year, but again I think they limit to those who live in the city

It's really a mixed bag. I think this is just the nature of how things unfolded. The courts told towns they must issue licenses....some towns didn't want to. Then towns fought over who would authorize the licenses...would it be the town council, town clerk, the police? Mostly it's the police.

Might be worth trying Coventry since your are renewing a license they issued

Last edited:
When I applied in Cranston last fall I had to submit the following.

Three notarized letters of reference.
Finger print card signed by the officer at my local PD that did them.
I had to attach a passport photo, which they kept on file.
Sign the application in two different places and get notarized.
Write a letter stating why I wanted a RI permit. That too had to be notarized.
Submit a copy of my Birth Certificate. Which had to be notarized.
Submit a copy of my Passport. Which had to be notarized.
Submit copies of the qualifications of the guy that did my firearms qualification. That didn't have to be notarized, but the part where I stated that I had completed the course of fire DID have to be notarized.

I hand delivered the application and had to write my name on the envelope. That didn't have to be notarized.

Whether or not that was all added after Bruen, I do not know.

Frank

It was fiddly, but not horrible. I printed out the instructions from the website and used it as a checklist. First on my list was passing the qualification as if I didn't do that, the rest was moot. Getting the prints from Stoughton PD was as simple as calling them to make sure they could do it. The dispatcher told me to come right in.

The letters of reference took a bit to get, but only because the people I asked were busy and took a while to send them to me.

The rest was easy as I know a couple of notaries that were able to do that part for me.

The application is a fillable PDF, so it can be typed up.

The renewal application is also available there, and includes the recertification form.

There is a decent chance, maybe even better than decent, that we will not be in New England in 2026, so I'm not going to worry about renewing now.

Since the police have up to 90 days to process an application (once it's submitted) I thought I might have a longer wait, but it was about three weeks from when I dropped it off to when I picked it up.

What a CF of a process... really a major disincentive to apply

When I applied in Cranston last fall I had to submit the following.

Three notarized letters of reference.
Finger print card signed by the officer at my local PD that did them.
I had to attach a passport photo, which they kept on file.
Sign the application in two different places and get notarized.
Write a letter stating why I wanted a RI permit. That too had to be notarized.
Submit a copy of my Birth Certificate. Which had to be notarized.
Submit a copy of my Passport. Which had to be notarized.
Submit copies of the qualifications of the guy that did my firearms qualification. That didn't have to be notarized, but the part where I stated that I had completed the course of fire DID have to be notarized.

I hand delivered the application and had to write my name on the envelope. That didn't have to be notarized.

Whether or not that was all added after Bruen, I do not know.

I believe this was the same process I went through in Cranston as well, back 3 1/2 years ago. I only wish I could renew there now, though. This is their entire renewal application (and requirements):

Kenneth J. Hopkins
MaMyoaryor
Colonel Michael J. Winquist Chief of Police
RENEWAL APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON ACCORDING TO RI GL §11-47-12, A PERMIT FEE OF $40 SHALL BE CHARGED
YOU MUST PROVIDED (1) NEW PASSPORT PHOTO
YOU MUST ALSO PROVIDE PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN FORM OF TAX BILL OR UTILITY BILL
DATE ________________________ PERMIT NUMBER_______________________
DATE OF BIRTH ______________________ PLACE OF BIRTH _______________________
NAME___________________________________________________________________________________ FIRST MIDDLE LAST
ADDRESS _______________________________________________________________________________
STREET (NO PO BOXES ACCEPTED) CITY
PHONE __________________ ______________________ HOME BUSINESS
STATE ZIP
________________________ CELL
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER _______________________ OCCUPATION _______________________
DATE OF BIRTH _________________________ PLACE OF BIRTH _______________________________
HEIGHT __________ WEIGHT _________ EYE COLOR _________ HAIR COLOR ________________
** IF APPLYING AS A BUSINESS **
BUSINESS NAME _______________________________________________________________________
BUSINESS ADDRESS ____________________________________________________________________ Street Name and Number (NO PO Boxes accepted) City or Town State & Zip
JOB DESCRIPTION _______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________
HAVE YOU EVER ARRESTED IN THE LAST 5 YEARS? _______________________________________
(IF YES PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS ON A SEPARATE TYPED SHEET OF PAPER)
Signed before me, this _____ day of __________________, 20____.
_______________________________________ ____________________________________________ Notary Public Signature Applicant Signature
My commission Expires ___________________

Again, with Portsmouth, the worst part as far as I'm concerned, is imposing on friends not only to have to write a letter of reference every four years, but especially having to have it notarized. This can be a pain for some people, and I hate to ask them for it.

But I guess I'll just have to deal with it...for now.

Frank

Not for nothing, if you read RI §§ 11-47-15 and 16, nothing authorizes a town to require a re-firing of the marksmanship "qualification." Nothing says that the qualification have been minimally recent, and nothing authorizes an "expiration" of a prior qualification certification. The statute requires that an applicant have qualified prior to applying, and if you have done that once, the statute is completely satisfied. Nothing in § 11-47-11 authorizes cities or towns to impose requirements beyond those of the statute, and the "shall issue" language of § 11-47-11, as interpreted by Gadomski v. Tavares,
No. 2014-72-M.P., 2015 WL 1844454 (R.I. Apr. 22, 2015), pretty clearly negates the authority of cities and towns to impose requirements beyond those of the statute.

As for East Greenwich giving preferential treatment for East Greenwich residents over non-RI residents, that was not true a few years ago and, insofar as I am aware, is not true today. The hard truth is that, in an era when other cities and towns were substantively defiant of RI § 11-47-11, East Greenwich played the game essentially per the rules. As a result, that Town was swamped with applications, and the officer in charge of processing them also has a bunch of other duties and burdens (and is very pro-guns). That led to the "telephone lottery," a dubious process imposed by reason of perceived practical necessity, and whether or not the "lottery" is still employed I do not know.

And as for the question a bar, § 11-47-11 clearly requires RI residents to apply only in their town of residence.

Back
Top Bottom