Non Semi-Auto AR

Somebody had a straight pull bolt gun built on an AR lower at SHOT, they aren't a thing here. Pulling the trigger on a straight pull bolt isn't something I want to do on a newcomer to the market, some old Euro manufacturer and I'm down.

Or Massachusetts?
California?
Connecticut?
New York?
CT and NY "others" are the way to go. MA really is not an issue by comparison to CA. CA is zero feature AWB and we are a one feature AWB. Our AG holds press conferences which we ignore. CA rams through every bad idea for gun control they can think of with no opposition. If anyone finds a work around, they update the law the next session.

Fox_Unit_LLC_Non-SemiAuto_AR_SHOT_Show_Levi_Sim-3-1024x768.jpg

The branding is amusing.

Is it just me or is converting to a manual operating system that hard or costly?

Remove gas block and tube.

Replace gas block with another flipped upside down to block the gas port.

Remove gas key on bolt carrier and reverse its direction. Reattach.

Now it's a straight pull only single shot.

You want to get more elegant, refined, and permanent? Easily done for short money if you're the DIY sort.
Let's not pretend this is rocket surgeon stuff.

Very dumb. I’d rather just run a bolt action.
Not that dumb if it allows you to fix it easily I don't know how it's put together what did they do remove the gas tube or something?

In the UK, if I remember correctly, the rifle has to be designed from the beginning as a straight pull. No one can legally own a conversion. UK authorities consider a converted semiautomatic to always be a semiautomatic, just like BATFs attitude that once a machine gun, always a machine gun. Removing the auto sear from an M16 and the giggle switch from an M14 does not make it legal without a tax stamp. If a rifle can be readily restored to semiautomatic, it might not be legal to own in states that banned their possession by private citizens.
Is it just me or is converting to a manual operating system that hard or costly?

Remove gas block and tube.

Replace gas block with another flipped upside down to block the gas port.

Remove gas key on bolt carrier and reverse its direction. Reattach.

Now it's a straight pull only single shot.

You want to get more elegant, refined, and permanent? Easily done for short money if you're the DIY sort.
Let's not pretend this is rocket surgeon stuff.

Not that dumb if it allows you to fix it easily I don't know how it's put together what did they do remove the gas tube or something?

No because the bolt locks back after every shot. My guess is they just modified the bolt catch to stay in “catch position” always rather than just when the follower pushes on it.

You still need the gas system to cycle the bolt back. I'm guessing they changed the bolt hold open spring position so it holds it up instead of down, that's all it would take.

Or Massachusetts?

Not really. In Mass, there's plenty of options like 80% builds or pre-94. Plus there's plenty of non-AR semi-autos in Mass.

The UK doesn't allow semi-auto, period. Or pump rifles. And they're obviously not shooting lever guns. So, it's pretty much bolt action only.

Right, Mass isn't nearly as bad as the UK.

My brother lives in the UK. We jumped through some interesting hoops to get his (2) .22 Anschutz rifles to him. He has ammo stored at home, but the local PD had to inspect his storage of it. His rifles are stored under lock and key at his club; the application process for that club took more than a year.

Meanwhile, he's got ammo at my house in Georgia and firearms stored in Texas and Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom