Non-Standard licensing requirements -> Non-Statutory licensing requirements

After cooling down from reading this post, I wanted to see if others have run across similar "requests" by their towns as this one in Marblehead. In short, the request is,

I am only looking for things like the bolded part (the concealed part is likely common). Has anyone else had to trade their 4th and 5th amendment rights for their 2nd amendment rights? Any other "requirements" towns have laid out in quid pro quo for your right to bear arms? What town and what have you had to trade for the privilege of RKBA?

I know this is a requirement in other states (SC comes to mind) but I also believe that as a result, the information can not be used as justification for anything other than verifying the validity of the license. It should be the same here but we have all heard folks here get removed from their car as a result of notification without such protections.

ETA: I am not looking to make this a pissing contest about whether one should or should not make said disclosure. If you want to disclose, go right ahead and vice versa. What I am looking to focus on is what odd ball and/or unconstitutional requirements are being placed on folks as a condition for the license. I would love it if this can be a thread with a list of these such things we can refer back to in the future.

Running Tally:
  • First amendment (Swampscott will issue, just don't ask questions on the internet or expect the license to come in the proscribed time as mandated by law...)
  • Concealed Means Concealed (multiple)
  • Reference Letters (multiple)
  • Reference Letters - Notarized (Attleboro)
    • references cannot be parents or relatives (Springfield, Watertown, Worcester, Easton, Boylston, Weymouth, Fall River, Lunenburg, Braintree, Holden)
    • letters of recommendation which must specifically state that they are written for the purpose of application for LTC. (Reading, Watertown, Billerica)
    • Requires anyone not living alone to have everyone in their household complete and sign an "Affidavit of Co-Habitation" (Chelsea)
    • references cannot be from out of state (Worcester)
    • 3 Letters of reference (Weymouth, Woburn, Revere)
    • 2 Letters of reference (Chelmsford, Fall River)
    • 5 Letters of reference (Braintree)
    • Letters of reference need to be notarized (Fitchburg)
    • Employer Contact information -- May have been a requirement for unrestricted (medford)
    • Reference from spouse to confirm that s/he would be comfortable with a firearm in the household. (Waltham)
    • Reference letter from employer to make sure you aren't gonna go "postal." (Waltham)
    • Reference letter from someone with an LTC. (Waltham)
    • Reference letter from your last PD if you have moved in between renewals (Newton)
  • Force optional information to be required (Social Security Number in Springfield)
  • Sign a copy of the "Acknowledgment of the limits on the use of deadly force" (Walpole, Watertown, Bolton, Easton, Arlington, Somerville)
  • Gun Club Membership (Watertown, Randolph, Brookline, Braintree)
  • Proof of citizenship - taken to include birth certificate, naturalization certificate or passport (Watertown, lowell, Fall River)
  • Proof of citizenship can't be a passport in lowell [rolleyes]
    • Submit Birth Certificate (Walpole and New Bedford: first timers)
  • Proof of residency in said town - taken to include drivers license, utility bill, etc (Watertown, Saugus, Marblehead, Walpole, lynn, Easton, Ashburnham)
  • Letters to the Chief (Multiple)
    • Letter to chief explaining why one wants a firearms license with justifications (Watertown, fall river, Waltham, Walpole, New Bedford, Westport, medford, Newton, fitchburg)
  • Firearms Safety Courses/Practical Exams:
    • Special Application in addition to the standard CHRB version. In duplicate. (Newton)
    • Firearms safety course for all renewals (Watertown, Holden, Manchester-By-The-Sea)
    • Applicant to take (and pass) a test on Mass gun laws (Ayer, Revere)
    • Applicant to take (and pass) a shooting test (Boston)
    • Applicant to take (and pass) a personal interview and pop quiz. The questions of which are unknown in advance. (Newton, Revere)
    • Applicant required to take concealed carry course for ALP (Winchendon)
    • license type based on the safety course taken. (ie; FID for hunters safety course, restricted for those that take a home defense course)
    • Take the safety course from a local active LEO (cash paid to leo...) in order to get unrestricted (Medford)
    • Take a PD approved safety course (above and beyond the statutory requirement) (Sherborn)
  • Forced disclosure on interaction with LE (Marblehead, Springfield)
  • Letter from a physician (Both N. Andover and Andover had previously required this for FIDs, Sharon refuses without it, lawrence may as well)
  • Run around town proving you don't owe back taxes, fees, etc and proving a negative in order to apply for a neutered A or B license. - (Rowley)
  • Employer contact info (New Bedford)
  • Drivers License number (New Bedford)
  • Parent's names (including mother's maiden name) (New Bedford)

ETA: I am keeping a running total/tally of all of these things. I also changed the thread title to reflect a more accurate description of what the thread is about.

I am also sourcing things from this thread
Holden no longer requires class for renewals.

Back
Top Bottom