• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Noob seeks "Best Bang For Short $$$" in AR Optics

I'd look into the Vortex - it's getting good reviews, comes with a magnifier and is within your price-point...I'm thinking of ordering one myself. I also like the Millet...
Sad to say, but the Millett DMS-1 is above my hard go/no-go price cap. [sad]

CLMN

1) Barska Model AC10984 for $86.72

I have this on one of mine and it seems to be doing well so far.

I own a Barska too. It is a very accurate unit and holds zero even after removing from the rail and reinstalling it.

However, there is a CAUTION with this unit: It is too easy to turn on. The knob to select the intensity of the cross/dot and on/off spins too easily. So, if you are afield with the rifle slung, it could turn on easily without your knowledge with a bump. And, I have not determined the battery life of the AG13 battery yet to see if this is a concern.

To solve the problem, I actually wrapped a rubber band around the switch to add resistance which kept the knob from turning by accident.

The Vortex and DMS-1 have protected or very firm on/off knobs and do not have this problem.

3) Vortex StrikeFire for $149.98

51WnFt6kn6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y&v=glance

CLMN

B&Hphoto has the Vortex $10 cheaper than Amazon and comes with a $25 gift card to buy extra batteries.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563215-REG/Vortex_SFRD_AR15_1x30_StrikeFire_Red_Dot.html#

Have you considered a BSA red dot sight? I believe MassMark has vouched for the reliability and durability of those sights on multiple occasions.

1) Barska Model AC10984 for $86.72 I have this on one of mine and it seems to be doing well so far.
I own a Barska too. It is a very accurate unit and holds zero even after removing from the rail and reinstalling it.
For whatever reason, Amazon has got that Barska scope priced so dang low that it's going to be very hard in my tough financial situation to justify spending more. Unless someone knows a really good reason not to buy it, it may end up being the winner by default. On Amazon, it is second in sales (of similar units) to the Bushnell and has a similarly high feedback rating.

CLMN

Have you considered a BSA red dot sight? I believe MassMark has vouched for the reliability and durability of those sights on multiple occasions.
Must admit that I know next to nothing about the BSA red dot scopes. They aren't very popular on Amazon and there is practically no feedback to read.

CLMN

The only functional difference between it and the three you posted are that it doesn't have the tacticool look. Midway has it for $59 dealer price.

Last edited:
The 42mm 5 MOA version. The 50mm version is also nice.
Okay... now I'll need a bit more education here. Seems that every 42mm tube type I looked at came with this typical statement:

... is ideal for shotguns, pistols, blackpowders and crossbows.

Never a mention of 'AR' use or even centerfire rifle use. Or is that a given?

I must admit that I have not given these much attention in my travels. [thinking]

CLMN

The BSA is fine for rifles, especially something with so little recoil as an AR/M16. You'll save money, get the same functionality as those more expensive sights, and be able to pocket the cash to save for more equipment later on. Get the 42mm or the 50mm.

The BSA is fine for rifles, especially something with so little recoil as an AR/M16. You'll save money, get the same functionality as those more expensive sights, and be able to pocket the cash to save for more equipment later on. Get the 42mm or the 50mm.
After an extensive search for reviews and comments, I'm not seein' or feelin' a whole lot of love for this scope (42mm version - 50mm is discontinued/unavailable) out there in the greater AR community. Could be the look alone... I don't know. Amazon rank is not high (#49,603 in Sports & Outdoors) either. I think I'll take a pass and stick with my "final three" for now... although if I find one on a table at the Fitchburg show on Saturday, I'll give it a closer look. [grin]

CLMN

*man talk*

stop BSing and get a scope. this thread can go on for years!

try something out! if you don't like it, sell it on ebay.

[rofl]

where are you located? i can let you peek through my Aimpoint, my 10-power (fixed) optic and lastly, what about just shooting with irons until you save more money?

i do NOT have experience with the inexpensive optics mentioned since my last post.

the ones i suggested, i've either physically handled and / or shot through other peoples rifles. -you can't go wrong!

[wink] hurry up and buy something before we all die of old age

[wink] hurry up and buy something before we all die of old age
Can't order before Saturday's show (I'd really like to see and handle all three of my 'candidates' in person). By Saturday night, the order will have been placed. [grin]

It will all be over very soon... I promise! [wink]

CLMN

DSC00032.jpg

Tasco propoint.....been on every gun that I could mount it. Shotgun,pistol,rifle. Think I paid 125.00 many years ago. battery last long long time. They have a Tactical style one out 129.00+-. The busnell trophy is another one . I like the built in back up sights on top[hmmm]. Im looking for another cheap dot for my AR. Cheap optics are a crap shoot great or junk.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x32-riflescope-730132p.html
Another tip I have for you....If you do not have the coin for good optics

DO NOT TRY ANY GOOD OPTICS......I looked through a ACOG the other day. Clean clear crisp[crying][crying] It took some mind melding and chanting "no optics better than the ones I got" I was close to hitting the CC for a new Trijicon, aim point ect ect. I have a Garand on order so that helped from dropping another 500 plus

Last edited:
Okay... now I'll need a bit more education here. Seems that every 42mm tube type I looked at came with this typical statement:

Never a mention of 'AR' use or even centerfire rifle use. Or is that a given?

I must admit that I have not given these much attention in my travels. [thinking]

CLMN

The quote you mentioned about suitability for shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, and crossbows is to let the reader know that the scope in question will stand up to the extraordinary recoil and concussion of those weapons.

Any scope good for those, will certainly do fine on an AR.

After an extensive search for reviews and comments, I'm not seein' or feelin' a whole lot of love for this scope (42mm version - 50mm is discontinued/unavailable) out there in the greater AR community. Could be the look alone... I don't know. Amazon rank is not high (#49,603 in Sports & Outdoors) either. I think I'll take a pass and stick with my "final three" for now... although if I find one on a table at the Fitchburg show on Saturday, I'll give it a closer look. [grin]

CLMN

I wouldn't trust the Amazon rank for anything. Especially not anything firearms related.

I can absolutely vouch for BSA durability...One of our own NES Members served two tours in Iraq with one. It was beat to a pulp and looked funny where he "custom fitted" a kill flash on it, but I was shooting Christmas ornaments off a tree at 50-yards and other fun objects he had strung in the trees over that range. When he gets back from Iraq, we'll have to see if it survived a third tour.

Another tip I have for you....If you do not have the coin for good optics DO NOT TRY ANY GOOD OPTICS......I looked through a ACOG the other day. Clean clear crisp[crying][crying] It took some mind melding and chanting "no optics better than the ones I got" I was close to hitting the CC for a new Trijicon, aim point ect ect.
Kinda like it is with automobiles, yes? [thinking] Don't drive a Lexus if all you can afford is a Hyundai! [grin]

CLMN

The quote you mentioned about suitability for shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, and crossbows is to let the reader know that the scope in question will stand up to the extraordinary recoil and concussion of those weapons. Any scope good for those, will certainly do fine on an AR.
Thanks for clarifying that point. I must admit that I was reading that statement to mean "unsuitable for centerfire rifles"... albeit not necessarily in the "ruggedness" sense.

CLMN

Thanks for clarifying that point. I must admit that I was reading that statement to mean "unsuitable for centerfire rifles"... albeit not necessarily in the "ruggedness" sense.

CLMN

No problem. The reason they make that point is that some scopes are unsuitable/not recommend, specifically because they tend to be lighter duty construction and intended for rimfire rifles, pellet guns, etc.

You'll often see some sort of text, like that you posted, either calling out the fitness for recoil, or specifically mentioning that the scope is best suited for rimfire, pellet guns, etc.

I wouldn't trust the Amazon rank for anything. Especially not anything firearms related.
I can absolutely vouch for BSA durability...One of our own NES Members served two tours in Iraq with one. It was beat to a pulp and looked funny where he "custom fitted" a kill flash on it, but I was shooting Christmas ornaments off a tree at 50-yards and other fun objects he had strung in the trees over that range. When he gets back from Iraq, we'll have to see if it survived a third tour.
The problem boils down to this: I know next to nothing about rifles and rifle scopes... I never once used a scope on any handgun I ever owned... and then I walk into Cabela's and see 960 different rifle scopes offered in 40 different brands (mostly names I am not particularly familiar with). The task of choosing one for my new Bushmaster is overwhelming. I quickly figure out that most of them are outside my budget and most of what's left within my budget is inappropriate for an AR. I head to the shows and it's even worse. I can't tell good stuff from air rifle and rimfire crap... kid's stuff. So instead, I decide to post here and learn what I can from the Internet. I quickly learn that the good stuff for an AR is $500 and up (really good stuff is $900 and up) and that ain't happening for an old, unemployed slob like me. Life is hard and my shooting budget is even harder.

So it all boils down to what is going to be the best of the low-end choices. For that purpose, and especially for a rank amateur, it's useful to know what other folks are buying and whether or not they are happy with their purchases. Also, what regrets and problems are they seeing? Some gun-specific sellers post ratings & reviews and I have read them all. Each one must be taken with a grain of salt. But like them or not, Amazon sells more scopes and has more ratings & reviews than anyone else. A person in my dubious "noob" situation ignores those ratings & reviews (and the sales rankings) at their own peril.

I know I've pissed a few people off with this thread going on so long without a firm & definitive answer to the title question... and I apologize for that. I expect to place my order Saturday evening right after the show. After all this good advice and all the great suggestions, I just want to see and inspect these scopes in person one last time before ordering.

CLMN

Last edited:
*.... what about just shooting with irons until you save more money? ....

WINNER WINNER WINNER!

I think this is the best advice yet.

You have 200 now to spend on an optic... Put that in a shoebox, bank, under the matress, etc - Somewhere where you can save it, and future money on the scope YOU truely want.

Don't let yourself have to "accept" "these certain scopes/red dots" because of their price.

Just shoot your Bushmaster with the iron sights for now, while you save up for the optic YOU really want, not one you will "settle for".

You said earlier, you found some good used Aimpoints for 300-350, that's only 100 bucks more than you're at now; save it up and get the good stuff! You will only be happy later.

As far as getting one of the "ecomomy" types now and getting a good real one later; I disagree with this school of thought. The way I see it is that in the end you just bought TWO scopes/red dots when you only needed one, so in the end you spent MORE money, instead of waiting a little bit and getting the right one first. (of course if in the end you do want two optics, then this works lol)

Good luck with whatever you choose, and no matter what you do:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! [smile]

WINNER WINNER WINNER!

I think this is the best advice yet.

You have 200 now to spend on an optic... Put that in a shoebox, bank, under the matress, etc - Somewhere where you can save it, and future money on the scope YOU truely want.

Don't let yourself have to "accept" "these certain scopes/red dots" because of their price.

Just shoot your Bushmaster with the iron sights for now, while you save up for the optic YOU really want, not one you will "settle for".

You said earlier, you found some good used Aimpoints for 300-350, that's only 100 bucks more than you're at now; save it up and get the good stuff! You will only be happy later.

As far as getting one of the "ecomomy" types now and getting a good real one later; I disagree with this school of thought. The way I see it is that in the end you just bought TWO scopes/red dots when you only needed one, so in the end you spent MORE money, instead of waiting a little bit and getting the right one first. (of course if in the end you do want two optics, then this works lol)

Good luck with whatever you choose, and no matter what you do:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! [smile]
I know you mean well, but I've been laid-off and unemployed for 37 months now and am struggling every day just to survive. Things are not going to suddenly turn around for me... not yet anyway. I have essentially zero income. Every dollar I spend these days comes from dwindling savings or from something I had to sell (that's how I got the Bushmaster... took almost two years). So please, no more advice about waiting and "saving up." I know you mean well, but if I don't do this now it's never going to happen. [thinking]

Of course, I could win the lottery tomorrow... yes? [smile] [wink]

CLMN

I know you mean well, but I've been laid-off and unemployed for 37 months now and am struggling every day just to survive. Things are not going to suddenly turn around for me... not yet anyway. I have essentially zero income. Every dollar I spend these days comes from dwindling savings or from something I had to sell (that's how I got the Bushmaster... took almost two years). So please, no more advice about waiting and "saving up." I know you mean well, but if I don't do this now it's never going to happen. [thinking]

Of course, I could win the lottery tomorrow... yes? [smile] [wink]

CLMN

My Bad. I missed where you provided that info earlier. [hmmm]

In that case: Get the Vortex Red Dot.

Back
Top Bottom