North Shore Clubs

So there are a bunch of threads on this already but most of them are >5 years old so I wanted to get some current feedback as I'm looking for a new club to join.

Mainly interested in outdoor rifle & pistol, with indoor pistol a nice to have. Outdoor steel and shooting from a holster are stretch goals. Archery and fishing are welcome bonuses.

Currently located in the Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem area and considering joining one of these clubs:

Cape Ann Sportsman's (Gloucester, MA)
- Good reputation
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle (can bring own steel targets with exec approval)
- Outdoor pistol
- 24h Indoor range
- Archery & Fishing
- Open to the public on Sunday AM for $20/pp

Danvers Fish & Game (Middleton, MA)
- FUDD Reputation (is this still accurate?)
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle. RSO must be present (and only during set hours?)
- Outdoor pistol (with steel) (I read this was only 9am-3pm and Wednesday evenings but that could be super outdated)
- Indoor range with hour restrictions
- Archery & Fishing

Andover Sportsmen's Club (North Andover, MA)
- Good reputation
- 50/100 yard outdoor rifle with steel @ 100 yards
- 15ft->25 yard outdoor pistol with steel @ 25 yards
- 24h indoor range
- Archery & fishing

Reading Rifle and Revolver Club (Reading, MA)
- Very much a "high-power" club. Reputation for being exclusive and has some odd rules wrt targets etc.
- 25/50/100/150/300/600 yard outdoor rifle
- 7/15/25 yard outdoor pistol

Are there options I'm missing? I know that Harvard Sportsman's is amazing and has literally everything I'm looking for, but it's almost twice as far as these other ranges. Pelham Fish and Game and Woburn Sportsman's are in a similar boat.

A club with a good (non-FUDD), welcoming reputation is fairly important to me so I'm thinking about just joining Cape Ann and getting permission to bring my own plates.

Happy to turn this into a spreadsheet with additional information if folks would find that helpful. Also curious if Danvers is still as FUDD'y as the old threads seem to indicate.

I'm a member up at Andover as well. It's a great club. There is actually two outdoor pistol and they're starting to add a lot more steel. We also have a brand new indoor archery facility that I don't think is listed on the website. I believe they are in the works of extending the rifle not sure how far away that is.
The only complaints I have about Andover is that they limit magazine capacity to 10. And they Don't allow children on the range until 8 years of age. Which is a bummer because my son is 6 and I think he's ready now.

I don't want to say anything bad about Danvers. But it's not the same club that it was 25 years ago. I spent a lot of time up there when I was a kid.

Andover Sportsman’s Club member here.
I live 12 min from there and enjoy the place and the people. Perfect getaway especially during the day, weekends can get busy. Wouldn’t go anywhere else

Hamilton Wenham Rod and Gun Club is an easy drive. I'm in Beverly, and will probably be signing up there next month. Did you overlook this club, or not on your list for a specific reason? I would be interested to know.

So there are a bunch of threads on this already but most of them are >5 years old so I wanted to get some current feedback as I'm looking for a new club to join.

Mainly interested in outdoor rifle & pistol, with indoor pistol a nice to have. Outdoor steel and shooting from a holster are stretch goals. Archery and fishing are welcome bonuses.

Currently located in the Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem area and considering joining one of these clubs:

Cape Ann Sportsman's (Gloucester, MA)
- Good reputation
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle (can bring own steel targets with exec approval)
- Outdoor pistol
- 24h Indoor range
- Archery & Fishing
- Open to the public on Sunday AM for $20/pp

Danvers Fish & Game (Middleton, MA)
- FUDD Reputation (is this still accurate?)
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle. RSO must be present (and only during set hours?)
- Outdoor pistol (with steel) (I read this was only 9am-3pm and Wednesday evenings but that could be super outdated)
- Indoor range with hour restrictions
- Archery & Fishing

Andover Sportsmen's Club (North Andover, MA)
- Good reputation
- 50/100 yard outdoor rifle with steel @ 100 yards
- 15ft->25 yard outdoor pistol with steel @ 25 yards
- 24h indoor range
- Archery & fishing

Reading Rifle and Revolver Club (Reading, MA)
- Very much a "high-power" club. Reputation for being exclusive and has some odd rules wrt targets etc.
- 25/50/100/150/300/600 yard outdoor rifle
- 7/15/25 yard outdoor pistol

Are there options I'm missing? I know that Harvard Sportsman's is amazing and has literally everything I'm looking for, but it's almost twice as far as these other ranges. Pelham Fish and Game and Woburn Sportsman's are in a similar boat.

A club with a good (non-FUDD), welcoming reputation is fairly important to me so I'm thinking about just joining Cape Ann and getting permission to bring my own plates.

Happy to turn this into a spreadsheet with additional information if folks would find that helpful. Also curious if Danvers is still as FUDD'y as the old threads seem to indicate.
Forget Danvers. The rest are good.
I’m a member at CASC and I shoot my own steel and draw from a holster etc. You will need approval from the club president for your steel targets.

> Hamilton Wenham Rod and Gun Club

Missed that one, thank you!

> MA Rifle in Woburn

Another good option though I've heard it can be a little FUDD-y and has pretty restrictive rifle range rules. Definitely worth considering.

> I’m a member at CASC and I shoot my own steel and draw from a holster etc. You will need approval from the club president for your steel targets.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm a member up at Andover as well. It's a great club. There is actually two outdoor pistol and they're starting to add a lot more steel. We also have a brand new indoor archery facility that I don't think is listed on the website. I believe they are in the works of extending the rifle not sure how far away that is.
The only complaints I have about Andover is that they limit magazine capacity to 10. And they Don't allow children on the range until 8 years of age. Which is a bummer because my son is 6 and I think he's ready now.

And they're they only club in the state with the silhouette target ban. Unless they divorced themselves of the "club permit" and are no longer subject to that issue.

Most loop clubs are terrible, with a few exceptions here and there. A lot of people tolerate the BS because they don't want to drive anywhere.

Out of this list the OP posted, the only one I've never heard anyone really bitch about is CASC. I've found that speaks volumes, usually. If people aren't bitching about it, it's probably
decent.

Danvers: to many FUDD’s, Local cops and sheriff want to be cops for my liking . And just general self entitled jerks. Yes was a former member.

Cape Ann: been a member there for over 10 years. Never an issue. I shoot off hours at the indoor range. Outside I shoot off hours never an issue. Good RO on busy Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Last edited:
Danvers: to many FUDD’s, Local cops and sheriff want to be cops for my licking. And just general self entitled jerks. Yes was a former member.

Cape Ann: been a member there for over 10 years. Never an issue. I shoot off hours at the indoor range. Outside I shoot off hours never an issue. Good RO on busy Saturday and Sunday mornings.

How much licking would you be willing to do?

I’m looking to join Andover Sportsmen’s Club. I’m local and it looks like a great place. As I don’t know any members, should I just email the membership director and ask for a tour as the site suggests? I know a few guys at the Reading club but Andover would be my first choice as it’s closer to home. Thanks

I was at this months meeting to get approved. I'm official a member at Cape Ann's now. Members Ive met I like, the ranges could use some updating, but all and all I'm happy. less than a 15min drive for me and they have a 24hr indoor pistol range.

Looking like cape Ann’s the one for me, though I just missed this weeks membership meeting due to having a cold. Will be be heading over next month!

I was at this months meeting to get approved. I'm official a member at Cape Ann's now. Members Ive met I like, the ranges could use some updating, but all and all I'm happy. less than a 15min drive for me and they have a 24hr indoor pistol range.
I can’t complain too much. It’s 5 min from my house. But yes the ranges are dated. I limit my shooting to the outdoor range as I don’t trust the ventilation at the indoor range. But that’s just me. I’ve been to my fair share of other clubs and the ventilation is night and day 😂

@andrew1220 @ISOTOX

I liked the idea that the ventilator was pulling right at the booth. That was different and figured it would be better.

but yes my big thing was not being able to shoot jacketed at the in door. Will probably limit myself to .22 for indoor purposes.

I'm kind of curious what the cost of a ballistic backed plate would be.

I was shocked to learn indoor was lead/frangible only. I can't imagine anyone is actually shooing anything other than 22 down there.

Really glad that I can bring steel to the outdoor. Only remaining wish is that I could shoot faster than 1 shot every few seconds. Guess that's a pipe dream around here...

I was shocked to learn indoor was lead/frangible only. I can't imagine anyone is actually shooing anything other than 22 down there.

Really glad that I can bring steel to the outdoor. Only remaining wish is that I could shoot faster than 1 shot every few seconds. Guess that's a pipe dream around here...

Always room for change.....Having new members will only help in making that change.

I’m looking to join Andover Sportsmen’s Club. I’m local and it looks like a great place. As I don’t know any members, should I just email the membership director and ask for a tour as the site suggests? I know a few guys at the Reading club but Andover would be my first choice as it’s closer to home. Thanks
That's how I started the process, yes, with a tour.

I can show u the place sat if interested

There is an open house this sat 9-26 at country pond in Newton nh. 10am to 2pm outdoor ranges open to the public (with some RO supervision for safety reasons as it's non members on the line). Trap will be open as usual to the public. If anyone is interested in checking out the facilities and doing some shooting in the outdoor ranges.

Just make sure you get approval from norm (club president) on the steel targets. You probably already knew that but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Whats this about not shooting faster than 1 shot ever few seconds. They said no rapid fire, but when i asked for clarification. They didn't say nothing about 1 shot every few seconds? It was more controlled rate of fire on target.

There is an open house this sat 9-26 at country pond in Newton nh. 10am to 2pm outdoor ranges open to the public (with some RO supervision for safety reasons as it's non members on the line). Trap will be open as usual to the public. If anyone is interested in checking out the facilities and doing some shooting in the outdoor ranges.
I've shot pins there a few times and just was starting with 22 plates, nice guys but, since Palosi pandemic NO Non-Member Ma**h***s Allowed as guests. According to the web site. Shame.

Whats this about not shooting faster than 1 shot ever few seconds. They said no rapid fire, but when i asked for clarification. They didn't say nothing about 1 shot every few seconds? It was more controlled rate of fire on target.

You are correct...reasonable rate of fire...I have been a member at Cape Ann for over 13 years.....reasonable fire has never been an issue indoors or outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom