North Shore Clubs

If you're in the Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem area, the closest place to you would be Eastern Rifle & Revolver Club in Lynn. I believe it's only a 50' Range but I've heard it's a nice little club. I've been a MRA member for years. I only ever shot in the Loeb Range. It's only 75' but in the middle of the night, it's a great place to shoot. Anything smaller than 50BMG. I've shot my 50 Beowulf, 8mm Mauser and a C-Beta Mag in 5.56 ( pre-ban of course ) with no problems. The only restriction is on Shotguns, just slugs and you can only load 3 at a time.

I've shot pins there a few times and just was starting with 22 plates, nice guys but, since Palosi pandemic NO Non-Member Ma**h***s Allowed as guests. According to the web site. Shame.
I've shot pins there a few times and just was starting with 22 plates, nice guys but, since Palosi pandemic NO Non-Member Ma**h***s Allowed as guests. According to the web site. Shame.
That has not been our policy for quite awhile. It was during the hight of the "plandemic" because we were following nh state guidelines on number of people in a gathering. Not allowing mass guests was also part of nh guidelines at the time.....even restaurants were not supposed to allow mass patrons back then. The BOD reviewed nh guidelines regularly and followed them as best we could to avoid problems. The decisions were made in the best interest of the club. There are neighbors that can see the firing line and having plate shoots and 3 gun with a full parking lot of cars and 40 shooters would have been bad press....and we also strive to be good neighbors.

Like I said .....check the website....that rule was amended months ago and members and any guests have been allowed since July.
If you thought it was a shame to put those rules in place .....and your not even a member....sorry. if it keeps you from attending future PUBLIC events it is what it is. There are plenty of great gun clubs around hope you find one that suits you.

Last edited:
That has not been our policy for quite awhile. It was during the hight of the "plandemic" because we were following nh state guidelines on number of people in a gathering. Not allowing mass guests was also part of nh guidelines at the time.....even restaurants were not supposed to allow mass patrons back then. The BOD reviewed nh guidelines regularly and followed them as best we could to avoid problems. The decisions were made in the best interest of the club. There are neighbors that can see the firing line and having plate shoots and 3 gun with a full parking lot of cars and 40 shooters would have been bad press....and we also strive to be good neighbors.

Like I said .....check the website....that rule was amended months ago and members and any guests have been allowed since July.
If you thought it was a shame to put those rules in place .....and your not even a member....sorry. if it keeps you from attending future PUBLIC events it is what it is. There are plenty of great gun clubs around hope you find one that suits you.
Just to make it straight, I didn't mean shame on the club just it was a shame that I couldn't continue with those things there being down the road. As for not being a member, you don't just walk through the door and pay up, which is a good thing. I belong to two clubs and one is like that which makes me a little nervous. Just checked your web site and it's still posted on steel plates. As you say, it is what it is.

Just to make it straight, I didn't mean shame on the club just it was a shame that I couldn't continue with those things there being down the road. As for not being a member, you don't just walk through the door and pay up, which is a good thing. I belong to two clubs and one is like that which makes me a little nervous. Just checked your web site and it's still posted on steel plates. As you say, it is what it is.
Thanks for the response. Sorry I read it wrong.

I'll check with the guy that runs steel plates and see if that's intentional......it very well may be an oversight.

As for the open house this Saturday it is open to the public......what state you are from does not matter. Just want that to be clear.

Does anyone know if Cape Ann or Andover Sportsmen's Clubs have a pistol steel range similar to what is set up at Danvers F&G? I went to Danvers F&G as a part of my safety course, and they had a neat outdoor range with a bunch of steel, dueling trees, steel that you can knock over, outlines of animals and stuff, etc.

I've been on the websites for the other two, and haven't found the answer. I could email to find out, but figured I would ask here first and have it out there for anyone else who is wondering the same.

Does anyone know if Cape Ann or Andover Sportsmen's Clubs have a pistol steel range similar to what is set up at Danvers F&G? I went to Danvers F&G as a part of my safety course, and they had a neat outdoor range with a bunch of steel, dueling trees, steel that you can knock over, outlines of animals and stuff, etc.

I've been on the websites for the other two, and haven't found the answer. I could email to find out, but figured I would ask here first and have it out there for anyone else who is wondering the same.
There is another “North Shore clubs” post about 5 posts below this one with pictures of Andover’s outdoor pistol range.
Both outdoor rifle and pistol ranges have various steel targets.

Cape Ann does not - you'd have to bring your own steel (after getting approval from the club president).

Andover has some hanging steel targets at like 10ish yards and then some at 100ish yards. But nothing quite like Danvers. @jpm can correct me.

Danvers has a great range but good lord you couldn't pay me to be a member there. Only being able to shoot when a RO is present is lame as hell.

I am new here, and my LTC is pending. Im told itll be a few months before it arrives. That said, and realizing that I know literally nothing about any of this, Im looking for a club where I can shoot anytime 24/7 and that has a friendly atmosphere where I can ask questions. Other than "Danvers is bad" (why? whats wrong with that place?) - whats the best option for a guy like me thats new?

I am new here, and my LTC is pending. Im told itll be a few months before it arrives. That said, and realizing that I know literally nothing about any of this, Im looking for a club where I can shoot anytime 24/7 and that has a friendly atmosphere where I can ask questions. Other than "Danvers is bad" (why? whats wrong with that place?) - whats the best option for a guy like me thats new?
Country pond fish and game is in Newton nh just over the border. 24/7 indoor range up to 44mag with 9mm and 38 spec pcc allowed in there as well.

And Danvers is bad because it is Fudd central.

Country pond fish and game is in Newton nh just over the border. 24/7 indoor range up to 44mag with 9mm and 38 spec pcc allowed in there as well.

And Danvers is bad because it is Fudd central.

Im gonna get roasted for asking this but... FUDD? WTF is a FUDD - like elmer? I am totally new, by definition i dont know anything about anything yet. lol

Im gonna get roasted for asking this but... FUDD? WTF is a FUDD - like elmer? I am totally new, by definition i dont know anything about anything yet. lol
Fudd refers to a gun owner that believes guns should only be used for hunting and clay sports. Clubs with alot of Fudd members generally have very restrictive rules like 5 rounds per mag in a semi auto.....2 seconds between shots......etc....

So there are a bunch of threads on this already but most of them are >5 years old so I wanted to get some current feedback as I'm looking for a new club to join.

Mainly interested in outdoor rifle & pistol, with indoor pistol a nice to have. Outdoor steel and shooting from a holster are stretch goals. Archery and fishing are welcome bonuses.

Currently located in the Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem area and considering joining one of these clubs:

Cape Ann Sportsman's (Gloucester, MA)
- Good reputation
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle (can bring own steel targets with exec approval)
- Outdoor pistol
- 24h Indoor range
- Archery & Fishing
- Open to the public on Sunday AM for $20/pp

Danvers Fish & Game (Middleton, MA)
- FUDD Reputation (is this still accurate?)
- 25/50/75/100 yard outdoor rifle. RSO must be present (and only during set hours?)
- Outdoor pistol (with steel) (I read this was only 9am-3pm and Wednesday evenings but that could be super outdated)
- Indoor range with hour restrictions
- Archery & Fishing

Andover Sportsmen's Club (North Andover, MA)
- Good reputation
- 50/100 yard outdoor rifle with steel @ 100 yards
- 15ft->25 yard outdoor pistol with steel @ 25 yards
- 24h indoor range
- Archery & fishing

Reading Rifle and Revolver Club (Reading, MA)
- Very much a "high-power" club. Reputation for being exclusive and has some odd rules wrt targets etc.
- 25/50/100/150/300/600 yard outdoor rifle
- 7/15/25 yard outdoor pistol

Are there options I'm missing? I know that Harvard Sportsman's is amazing and has literally everything I'm looking for, but it's almost twice as far as these other ranges. Pelham Fish and Game and Woburn Sportsman's are in a similar boat.

A club with a good (non-FUDD), welcoming reputation is fairly important to me so I'm thinking about just joining Cape Ann and getting permission to bring my own plates.

Happy to turn this into a spreadsheet with additional information if folks would find that helpful. Also curious if Danvers is still as FUDD'y as the old threads seem to indicate.
I heard Danvers Fish and Game is LEGIT!!!!!!....here we go!!!!😂😂😂

Let’s start with where you live, (town/city) and what kind of shooting you plan to do?
Inside 495 you’ll find some decent clubs with draconian restrictions. Outside, Harvard is the club everybody wants to join.

I recently moved up to then north shore and am looking to join Cape Ann club. I have a fair bit of experience shooting and I see a sponsor is required for new members. Considering I just moved to the area, how are most people going about this. If I swing by on a Sunday morning to grab the application would I meet anyone? Thanks for any help!

Former Danvers F&G member here. Beautiful facilities, shitty members (FUDDS). If you like trap and skeet and shitting on anyone with an AR this is the place. They are so FUDD they voted on banning open carry at the club. There is one old fella who is very happy to come over and quiz you on the legality of your SBR AR. You’ll know him by the rivers of tarter on his teeth. So much that there are no gaps between each tooth.

I recently moved up to then north shore and am looking to join Cape Ann club. I have a fair bit of experience shooting and I see a sponsor is required for new members. Considering I just moved to the area, how are most people going about this. If I swing by on a Sunday morning to grab the application would I meet anyone? Thanks for any help!

I think @andrew1220 is a member there?

Oh they’re requiring sponsors now? Yeah Sunday would be good time to go and chat with the range officers about joining etc. As far as I know it’s open to the public from 9-1230ish on sundays.

I’m sure I could give you a tour at some point. I avoid going when it’s open to the public as it gets busy.

Cape Ann is great. Yes the indoor is lead/frangible only, but I cast and reload so it is no big deal. I don't need super modern ranges (they cost extra $$) so that helps keep membership costs down. At least we don't have neighbors complaining about the noise (yet). The club has been there since 1947 and back then it was alone in the woods.

Cape Ann is great. Yes the indoor is lead/frangible only, but I cast and reload so it is no big deal. I don't need super modern ranges (they cost extra $$) so that helps keep membership costs down. At least we don't have neighbors complaining about the noise (yet). The club has been there since 1947 and back then it was alone in the woods.
I "hear" (allegedly) that we get plenty of complaints from the neighbors for the outdoor range. Supposedly when you "rapid fire" they think it's machine guns....

"YEW BOIZ IZ RAPID FIRIN!"
I had a fellow member give me flak and accuse me of rapid firing the other week, meanwhile he's shooting glass bottles at the backstop which is prohibited as far I know - at the very least it makes a huge mess.[rolleyes]

I had a fellow member give me flak and accuse me of rapid firing the other week, meanwhile he's shooting glass bottles at the backstop which is prohibited as far I know - at the very least it makes a huge mess.[rolleyes]
There are a few fudd's for sure.....Had a run in with one on the indoor range some years ago...Norm put and end to that AQQ hat quickly...one of his friends to boot...Name was Peter but his last name escapes me ...Ya I saw a young kid and his father several years ago getting ready to blast and empty propane tank.

Back
Top Bottom