• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North Woodstock neighbors sue outdoor shooting range

NORTH WOODSTOCK – A local couple and 29 of their neighbors want a judge to order the closure of the Gold Bess Shooting Club and award them damages, saying the outdoor range is a public and private nuisance. According to the lawsuit, in May 2016, Woodstock Sand and Gravel (WSG) purchased 34 acres on Daniel Webster Highway and used it exclusively to stockpile gravel. On July 13, 2020, the Shooting Club registered with the New Hampshire Secretary of State and “at or around the same time, upon information and belief, the club leased the defendant property from WSG,” the lawsuit said. The Shooting Club asked that the injunction be denied. Gold Bess Shooting Club is “within an industrial/commercial area characterized by noises from the same site sand-and-gravel quarrying operations and nearby operations, including an auto racetrack, a frequent-trip tourist railroad, permitted snowmobile use of the railroad tracks in winter and an interstate highway." A Jan. 6 hearing on the lawsuit was continued until March 1.

To be curious are they using any of the town's bylaws as a basis or just butthurt and fear? Example the Disorderly Actions Ordinance. Town Ordinances | Town of Woodstock NH

A different NH town that I am looking at buying in has thing in their zoning and it is making me hesitate-search for towns without zoning. Even though I am renting in the same town and here daily range use.
Capture.JPG

Any one who buys property abutting a gravel pit should be aware that there may be shooting at some point in time, as well as mx bikes or the likes. Midnight beer drinkers, etc.

And this is why , when we were looking to buy/build our house we drove around the area to look for sand/gravel pits, quarries, highways, rail roads, etc.

Also drove by the area during the day, and evening and weekends to see what it was like.

I would think a gravel pit operation isn't exactly quiet either.
9f6c00736eccda9337e036b9d45ddf51.jpg

To be curious are they using any of the town's bylaws as a basis or just butthurt and fear? Example the Disorderly Actions Ordinance. Town Ordinances | Town of Woodstock NH

A different NH town that I am looking at buying in has thing in their zoning and it is making me hesitate-search for towns without zoning. Even though I am renting in the same town and here daily range use.
View attachment 435282
Any such ordinances are subordinate to state law. If it involves a shooting range, it's null.

View attachment 435282

Are you in Holderness?

It pays to have a chat with the local PD and ask them if it is OK to shoot on your own land. Since they won't know you of course tell them you are looking to purchase property there

View attachment 435282
Cars and trucks should be banned. ATV's etc........

Any such ordinances are subordinate to state law. If it involves a shooting range, it's null.

I agree. It doesn't stop people from trying and wasting the range owner's time/money. I wonder if there is some weird nuance considering the range is leased vs owned.

“During use of the range, the sound from the range is unbearable on the plaintiffs’ properties, at times, and on certain properties to the point where you cannot have conversation nor make a phone call, including potentially in an emergency,”

The neighbors wouldn't be able to use the phone to call Police it is so noisy? [rockon] and/or [laugh2][rofl]

I think some person's lawyer may be exaggerating for cause.

The Complaint:
Microsoft Word - 2020.11.10 Complaint - USE THIS ONE.docx (nhpr.org)

Gold Bess Shooting Club - Home | Facebook

Gold Bess Shooting Club

December 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM ·

Hello Everyone,
Gold Bess will be temporarily closed until further notice.
Call with questions!

Ouch. I hope they have grand plans for the pits. Wishing them the best.

1610626632824.png

Plans & Pricing | Gold Bess Shooting Club

Gold Bess​

$200
Individual Plan
Valid for one year
Select
  • $9 range time, $9 guest fee
  • $10 off firearm courses
  • 5% off new and used guns
  • $25 gun transfer fee
  • Range hours
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 11am to 5pm

Gold Bess Family​

$375
Family plan - Valid for up to 6 family members
Valid for one year
Select
  • $9 range time, $9 guest fee
  • $25 gun transfer fee
  • Range hours
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 11am to 5pm

Platinum Bess​

$525​

Valid for one year
Select
  • No range fee.
  • $25 gun transfer fee
  • Priority range times for Platinum members
  • Monday 8am to 5pm
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 8am to 11am
  • Normal range hours
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 11am to 5pm
  • No fees for Gold Bess club nights which include
  • In-house theme nights and competition nights

Platinum Bess Family​

$850
Family plan - Valid for up to 6 family members
Valid for one year
Select
  • No range fee
  • Priority range times for Platinum members
  • Monday 8am to 5pm
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 8am to 11am
  • Normal range hours
  • Tuesday thru Sunday
  • 11am to 5pm
  • No fees for Gold Bess club nights which include
  • In-house theme nights and competition nights

That is expensive. Do they even have a rifle range? If not, the trip down the road to Pemi or up the road to Alderbrook just makes way more sense.

Those prices are bananas. Is it a store also? And is that the whole range?
Could explain why they charge you for range time on top of the membership fee..

Lincoln/Woodstock are overrun with them. They've bought every house and every inch of land where they can park a camper.
Well Kevin, I'm not too worried about them, they're on the wrong side of the Notch.
They probably think if the Notch is impassable, they'll have to take the Kancamagus.
They probably have no clue that they can just go around the backside of Cannon Mt.

1610634615721.png

Back
Top Bottom