Northeast April 19th Appleseed Events 2013

The weekend closest to April 19th is always a big deal for Appleseed, and this year is no exception. The following is a list of events on the schedule so far, I'll try to keep this updated every week as the registration links for more events are added. If you have never been to an Appleseed this is a great weekend to attend... and if you have then you need to attend as well... bring friends.

On April 19th 1775 a few riders and alarm guns managed to get thousands out on a moments notice late in the night. Surely with modern technology and a few months heads up we can get at least a few hundred out?

Connecticut:
Colebrook, CT (info)(register)

Massachusetts:
Harvard, MA (info)(register)
Leyden, MA (info)(register)

Maine:
Columbia, ME (info)(register)

New Hampshire:
Holderness, NH (info)(register)
Pelham, NH (info)(register)

New Jersey:
Winslow, NJ (info)(register)

New York:
Burlington Flats, NY (info)(register)
Manhattan, NY (info)(register)
Otisco Lake, NY (info)(register)
Rotterdam, NY (info)(register)
Saratoga Springs, NY (info)(register)
Saugerties, NY (info)(register)

Pennsylvania:
Audubon, PA (info)(register)
Beaver Falls, PA (info)(register)
Chambersburg, PA (info)(register)
Manheim, PA (info)(register)

Last edited:
Appleseed shoots are awesome!!!!
My son and I attended the Winterseed shoot last weekend in Enfield NH. It was bitterly cold but thankfully no snow. We had a great time. The instructors were great. The course wasn't what I expected because I expected leisurely training. It was a fairly intense session (Saturday and Sunday actually) with barely enough time to grasp each concept. But it all eventually sinks in and there was lots and lots of shooting. Between my son and I we burned through more than 2100 rounds. You have to be able to get in and out of the prone, seated and standing positions numerous times. You'll go home tired and satisfied and you will know what you need to do to make yourself a better shot with a rifle. Maybe the best part of the weekend were the history lessons. It really makes you think and you'll go away appreciating the great Patriots who fought for our freedom. The lessons really hit home given the current political climate. The following day my son and i sought out a few landmarks in Arlington that serve as everyday reminders of the sacrifices our forefathers made to secure our freedom. Appleseed was a fabulous experience. My son and I are planning to attend another.

This is the pricing page on the website: Appleseed - Pricing Schedule short answer is no.

As for getting a hat, you need to attend two Appleseeds and have the score... at your next shoot best bet is to talk to the shoot boss, he or she should be more than happy to discuss the process in detail with you.

Good luck finding ammo, there seems to be 22 out there if you look... keep an eye on the Appleseed forum, there seem to be a few threads popping up here and there when some shows up online at various retailers.

Can I assume that most people are bringing and shooting 22LR's? I'd think that the estimated 500 rounds/day with centerfire rounds would get pretty expensive. I think I could get a Ruger 10/22 and a brick of 22lr for the same cost as 500 rounds of .223.

.22 is definitely the most common cartridge at our events and for good reason. Not sure exactly when they'll be available but Marlin has a great .22 they just put together specifically with Appleseed in mind: The Marlin/Appleseed LTR add 2 more 10 round magazines and your good for a New England Appleseed.

The LTRs seem to be out of stock. I'm looking at a Ruger 10/22 takedown, my concern is that it doesn't have sling mounts and the rear stock is hollow polymer. Do those slings that wrap around the rear stock suffice for the Appleseed positions?

The LTRs seem to be out of stock. I'm looking at a Ruger 10/22 takedown, my concern is that it doesn't have sling mounts and the rear stock is hollow polymer. Do those slings that wrap around the rear stock suffice for the Appleseed positions?

The Marlin LTR just came out so I don't think they have them in stock yet. I've seen a few 10/22 takedowns on the line, but never checked how they did the sling swivels on them, but I want to say that you should still be able to put studs in them like a wood stock... you might want to confirm that though. A rear wrap type mount might work... if you go with the loop sling you won't even need a rear mount so you can get by without it if you can't find a workable solution.

- - - Updated - - -

plausible to use an M&P 15-22 for this?

M&P 15-22 is a great rifle and they do fairly well at Appleseeds, just make sure you find some sort of sling mount for the front.

I put a swivel stud in a polymer 10/22. It works although I'm a little concerned it may not last very long. I haven't given it much thought but I'm thinking I may try and modify it in some way.

Edited the original post to add Manhattan, NY.

We are approximately 5 weeks from this weekend... don't wait to the last minute to sign up (or look for ammo!), and tell all your friends. The April 19th weekend shoots have always been some of the best, I expect this year should be no different.

I'm starting to get my LTR together, but one problem I'm running into is finding extra 10 round magazines for the 10/22. Nothing online or in any of the local stores. I've seen them on Ebay for $25 plus. If I can't find/afford three extra magazines is that going to be an issue?

.22 is definitely the most common cartridge at our events and for good reason. Not sure exactly when they'll be available but Marlin has a great .22 they just put together specifically with Appleseed in mind: The Marlin/Appleseed LTR add 2 more 10 round magazines and your good for a New England Appleseed.

First I've seen of these. Neat! More companies should do stuff like this.

I'm starting to get my LTR together, but one problem I'm running into is finding extra 10 round magazines for the 10/22. Nothing online or in any of the local stores. I've seen them on Ebay for $25 plus. If I can't find/afford three extra magazines is that going to be an issue?

Four Seasons in Woburn has them for $20

Contact the instructors running the shoot you intend on shooting at, most likely the instructors will have a few magazines they can loan you.

Contact the instructors running the shoot you intend on shooting at, most likely the instructors will have a few magazines they can loan you.

I've got two on back order direct from Ruger but I'd be surprised if they arrive in time. I'll check out the leads folks have sent me and reach out to the Harvard coordinator [Lupis42?] as well. Thanks for the help!

Are pre-ban mags over 10 rounds for the 10/22 allowed at Appleseed shoots? I've had trouble finding 10 round mags but had a dealer in MA offer a 50 round mag that he claimed was pre-ban

I wanted to very briefly share my experience that past weekend at the Appleseed event April 20-21 at Harvard Sportsman Club.
For those who haven't done an Appleseed weekend, I highly recommend it. In short, it was a fantastic weekend on so many levels.

First of all, there is a lot of shooting. I shot ~300 rounds on Saturday and ~620 rounds on Sunday. But the round count wasn't as important as the level of instruction and guidance that the entire group of RWVA instructors provided. A very low student to instructor ratio helped as well as a clear curriculum and scoring to monitor your progression. All of the instructors were excellent at teaching and reinforcing the fundamentals. And they did an excellent job of tailoring the instruction to each shooters ability and experience.

Perhaps even as enjoyable and instructive were the history lessons interspersed amongst the shooting sessions. It was inspiring to learn how the British settlers became the original American patriots... and inspiring to see that there are still those patriots around planting the seeds in plain old American citizens like me. Well told and important lessons.

And they provided lunch... bacon wrapped hot dogs.

Every American should do (or spectate) an Appleseed event. In fact it should be a requirement for high school graduation and/or US citizenship.

Thank you to Andre and his entire crew. I'm inspired. And now I'm a Rifleman.

Last edited:
I wanted to very briefly share my experience that past weekend at the Appleseed event April 20-21 at Harvard Sportsman Club.
For those who haven't done an Appleseed weekend, I highly recommend it. In short, it was a fantastic weekend on so many levels.

First of all, there is a lot of shooting. I shot ~300 rounds on Saturday and ~620 rounds on Sunday. But the round count wasn't as important as the level of instruction and guidance that the entire group of RWVA instructors provided. A very low student to instructor ratio helped as well as a clear curriculum and scoring to monitor your progression. All of the instructors were excellent at teaching and reinforcing the fundamentals. And they did an excellent job of tailoring the instruction to each shooters ability and experience.

Perhaps even as enjoyable and instructive were the history lessons interspersed amongst the shooting sessions. It was inspiring to learn how the British settlers became the original American patriots... and inspiring to see that there are still those patriots around planting the seeds in plain old American citizens like me. Well told and important lessons.

And they provided lunch... bacon wrapped hot dogs.

Every American should do (or spectate) an Appleseed even. In fact it should be a requirement for high school graduation and/or US citizenship.

Thank you to Andre and his entire crew. I'm inspired. And now I'm a Rifleman.

+1 to that!
I also attended, and couldn't agree more with what the doc said. If you want to become a rifleman, this is the place to learn. If you are happy shooting your AR from the bench and taking out bullseys, you may not like this event. If you want to learn how to use your rifle practically you need this course. It is short money for what you get out of it. I highly recommend it. Tools without training are useless. Drbossman, good to meet you. I was the guy who "almost" made rifleman, who was with the other guy who did.

Back
Top Bottom