Northeast HamXposition @ Marlboro 2021 - Sept 10-12

I'll be skipping it.

Probably not a bad idea. I don't feel you'll be missing much.

I was there this afternoon. I have never been before. So, I didn't know what to expect. I'm not sure whether it was because of Friday or what, but it was lame. There were very few tables set up. My observation is that the ballroom is somewhat small and would not hold too many vendors anyway. The one thing I went there for (boot camp) was cancelled. Apparently, I did not get the email.
I expected to see equipment (factory) vendors. Not one was set up and I'm not sure that this is normal. There were a couple dozen flee market vendors outside in the lot. A fair amount of it was non-ham related stuff. I'd say the flee market area was ⅓ capacity.

Although the website noted noon-5:00 hours for Friday, it was clear to me that Friday is simply a set-up day. My expectations were for something much larger.

Probably not a bad idea. I don't feel you'll be missing much.

I was there this afternoon. I have never been before. So, I didn't know what to expect. I'm not sure whether it was because of Friday or what, but it was lame. There were very few tables set up. My observation is that the ballroom is somewhat small and would not hold too many vendors anyway. The one thing I went there for (boot camp) was cancelled. Apparently, I did not get the email.
I expected to see equipment (factory) vendors. Not one was set up and I'm not sure that this is normal. There were a couple dozen flee market vendors outside in the lot. A fair amount of it was non-ham related stuff. I'd say the flee market area was ⅓ capacity.

Although the website noted noon-5:00 hours for Friday, it was clear to me that Friday is simply a set-up day. My expectations were for something much larger.

I wouldn't read too much into a slow Friday. Friday's were always slow at the old Boxboro location as well. Saturday was always the big day with Sunday a close second.

(Except for the canceled boot camp [shocked]), that's about what I'd expect for a Friday.
Saturday ought to be the big day.

I wouldn't read too much into a slow Friday. Friday's were always slow at the old Boxboro location as well. Saturday was always the big day with Sunday a close second.

This is kinda what I figured. I just wish it was clear in the website that Friday is a set-up day; They present it as the real thing. In fact, even the AARL booth had a sign 'See you tomorrow'. :rolleyes:

Could anyone confirm whether equipment manufacturers are normally there displaying the latest models? If so, do they offer compelling discounts?

I was expecting displays from the big brands: ICOM, Yeasu, MFJ, ETC.

Could anyone confirm whether equipment manufacturers are normally there displaying the latest models?
At least a few?

If so, do they offer compelling discounts?
Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood don't even sell radios retail at Hamvention -
just a fondling/literature space.

I remember the Icom booth at Boxboro ca. 2018,
and I don't think they were selling anything either.

It's the brick-and-mortar retailers that may have some deals.
Some deals - I never recall a retailer having across-the-board show discounts.

Stop me if I'm wrong, guys.

At least a few?

Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood don't even sell radios retail at Hamvention -
just a fondling/literature space.

I remember the Icom booth at Boxboro ca. 2018,
and I don't think they were selling anything either.

It's the brick-and-mortar retailers that may have some deals.
Some deals - I never recall a retailer having across-the-board show discounts.

Stop me if I'm wrong, guys.
You are correct. HRO should be there and selling product, some things may be discounted. A few other retailers as well.

The bottom of the page lists these vendors.

arrl.png

hamradiooutlet.png

quicksilver.png

hamsource.png

goldmedalideas.png

rfinder.png

aesopengineering.png

n3znkeys.png

There should be more. Perhaps we'll see what happens. With COVID plus a new venue, this event is totally unpredictable IMNSHO. Some companies may not allow their people to travel or do events.

The bottom of the page lists these vendors.

arrl.png

hamradiooutlet.png

quicksilver.png

hamsource.png

goldmedalideas.png

rfinder.png

aesopengineering.png

n3znkeys.png

N3ZN keys are nice, although personally if I was going to spend that kind of money I would go for a Begali.
I am not in that price league, I use a Kent single paddle which is fine enough quality at about half the price.

🐯

I'm getting mixed feedback from my ham friends and groups. Some are going. Some past regular attendees are not (afraid of covid). I expect this will translate into lower attendance and a reduction in displays.

I am personally not going because the face diaper requirement is in effect.

You probably won't see a real convention until this covid nonsense blows over completely.

I'm getting mixed feedback from my ham friends and groups. Some are going. Some past regular attendees are not (afraid of covid). I expect this will translate into lower attendance and a reduction in displays.

I am personally not going because the face diaper requirement is in effect.

You probably won't see a real convention until this covid nonsense blows over completely.
Yeah, I think the Deerfield Nearfester is in another three or four weeks. It should be interesting to see how that goes. Unfortunately I won't be making these any more as I will in Missouri for good by then.

HRO pulled out at the last moment. No mfrs present. Very few vendors. I think that the flea side is also many fewer than the past. Seminars/forums aren't very exciting . . . some interesting info. I think many fewer attendees as well.

I was told by Mike that HRO is paranoid about COVID, that the lost a few long time employees to COVID, and the also canceled for another much larger convention.

I was told by Mike that HRO is paranoid about COVID, that the lost a few long time employees to COVID, and the also canceled for another much larger convention.
They are from California after all...because they have stores all across the US, I'm sure they have to walk a pretty tight rope. I do know that after working for them for over 8 years, while the original owner was fairly conservative (the late Bob Ferrrero), that only went so far. Bob passed a few years ago and his son Robert, took over the helm. He is not nearly as conservative as his dad was, if at all.

Last edited:
The last few years have been really disappointing, I don't even think about going anymore. No deals, same lame junk at the flea. It's just not worth the gas to drive there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom