Not joining Facebook could be a sign that you're a psychopath or just 'suspicious'.

I would not divulge my FB credentials with any employer. My account is locked down and all they will see is my name and photo. I will share my LinkedIn profile link, I keep that for work purposes.

I have an account, but never use it - everytime I go on, I lose respect for friends of mine. Not because they are posting dumb drunk pictures, but because of their ridiculous, uninformed, liberal brain washed political posts. I've literally lost a lot of respect for 3-4 people I've known for years (and had never talked politics with).

You're probably just friends with the wrong people. [laugh]

The "Close Friends" feature also helps prevent the red curtain of blood from happening. It means that I only usually see stuff from about 50% of the people on my list. (It prioritizes their posts over everyone else's. )

-Mike

A couple of years ago or so there was a bunch of people here on NES who started the NES Facebook group. So I figured what the heck - and created an FB account. I didn't add any likes, or anything like that. Within a week I was getting deluged with email from people wanting to be "friends" and a whole bunch of updates about how big of a poop somebody just took that morning and the cute thing their pet cockroach did while it was laying eggs in their supper.

I closed the account a week and a half later.

My wife thinks facebook is just something people use so they get in touch with old boyfriends/girlfriends for hookups.

I don't have enough time in my life to keep up with the insane amount of stupid crap that people post on Facebook , the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the amount of useless chatter that was going on was: " Don't any of these people have freaking jobs?"

Honestly I think if I Co. started giving me crap about not having a Facebook account I would take that as a sign that the place was probably populated with morons.

I don't have enough time in my life to keep up with the insane amount of stupid crap that people post on Facebook , the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the amount of useless chatter that was going on was: " Don't any of these people have freaking jobs?"

With our .gov giving out welfare like candy and 99 weeks of unemployment benefits, I think most of these people probably don't have jobs!

I don't even understand the point of Facebook.

To broadcast how "awesome" your life is. People posting marriages, vacations...etc. It's bragbook most of the time. If you have the time to document your whole life on that thing, it's not that interesting to begin with. IMHO

Hahah!

Im friends with a lot of the right people but in the Northeast you're bound to have a couple that sneak in... I'll have to look into that close friends feature that you're talking about - Im not on there enough to even know what that is right now!!!

You're probably just friends with the wrong people. [laugh]

The "Close Friends" feature also helps prevent the red curtain of blood from happening. It means that I only usually see stuff from about 50% of the people on my list. (It prioritizes their posts over everyone else's. )

-Mike

I deleted my account for like 5 months. I did it because I have some "friends" who were giving me some real issues during a time when I was having my own troubles. It was awesome. It was definitely better not to have to deal with it.

I'm back now because it sort of helps my photography stuff and there are some people that I don't see much that I keep in touch with. It's nice for that because theres a lot of stuff that people might not bother emailing you, but it's nice to know anyway just to see whats going on with them.

I've been using the feature to unsubscribe to people's feeds a lot though.

I would not divulge my FB credentials with any employer. My account is locked down and all they will see is my name and photo. I will share my LinkedIn profile link, I keep that for work purposes.

I have 2, one that is public and sterile for work and one that is for friends and family and uses a contraction of my name. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but the truth is that it keeps me connected to a lot of people spread far and wide and that's a good thing.

I'd be very suspicious of an employer asking for my FB credentials. The only reason I can think of why they would ask for that is they want go subvert the law and get information about me that they otherwise legally couldn't ask about (marital status, kids, religious views, sexual orientation, etc). Any other information they want about me, they have proper channels to do so (CORI or other background check, credit check, educational/work experience references, etc).

I really wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the near future an employer is taken to court because they don't hire someone, or fire someone based on information the learned from Facebook or some other social media.

On topic of the original post, wasn't it just a few months ago they released a study showing people that regularly use and post to Facebook, tend to be more psychotic, narcisistic, and self important than everyone else. They're posting primarily to get attention and "Likes".

Last edited:
I had a Facebook account to keep in touch (make fun of) my nieces and nephews. I closed it about a year ago because too much private information gets throw around on there. If I'm not home I don't need the whole world knowing. My personal information is just that, personal.

Societal standards have changed.

A while back I read about some expat Americans living in Sweden, or Norway or some similar place. They pulled their window shades down at night.

After a few days one of the new (local-grown) neighbors came over, and said, "You shouldn't do that. Pulling your shades down makes people think you're hiding something, and makes them nervous."

With the current "look at me!" society....if you're not flaunting it, you're hiding something....and before too long...."see nothing, say something," will be the rule.

I think generally, people overthink FB. It's purpose depends on the generation, but on the whole its a means to share thoughts, photos, events and stay in touch with those you might not otherwise stay in touch with. Not all that different from our very own NES Forum. We aren't all phone people and we don't all live close to those we love and have relationships with and FB allows us to maintain some contact other than the occasional email and keep people included in our lives.

I agree that the privacy security is an issue. Not a fan of FB showing where I am every time I write to someone and that my information gets shared with certain programs. But on the whole, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to stay in touch with people in a neat way. And heck, you don't have to pay for it. If FB were smart, they'd create an option of paying for the option of complete privacy and no sharing of information.

Socially retarded youngsters see Facebook the same as socializing so they equate sitting in the basement on Facebook as the same as going somewhere with a group of friends. This problem is mostly younger generations thinking this way as we become more isolated through online ordering, online social chat, mobile phones, etc etc.

To me saying that someone could be a psychopath because they don't have a Facebook account is the same as someone saying that if you didn't vote for Obama you are racist....... Stupid generalization from people who only see their view as having weight.

There was some action a while ago to prevent employers from requesting this access as part of the hiring process. I can't remember the deal with it. I think it's already against Facebook's terms of use or something. Im too lazy to look it up right now.

I haven't run into this yet and would never turn over my password because...**** you.

FB considers anyone not the account holder accessing the account even with the password to be a breach of the TOS. It's an invasion of privacy for any prospective employer, private or public, to ask for you FB account, to ask you to "friend" them so they can look at the account or do anything else similarly invasive. I'd treat a request by a police agency considering hiring me to get the password of my account (if I had one) the same as if they asked to look around my house. I know that some agencies do home visits as part of their background investigation, but I don't think that even during those they search your house.

I expect at some point the ACLU, the EFF, or some other organization to start litigating this type of case. That's if they haven't started already.

I had FB, but deleted the account because it was a time waster. I have a LinkedIn account, which I think is better. At least they aren't trying to get me to play stupid games and stuff.

I created an account because a riding group I am active with uses only facebook to update what is going on. Without a FB account I could not see anything and would be in the dark.

So I set up a facebook account with the bare minimum information (name, e-mail, birth date). set ALL my privacy settings as tight as I could, and did not add anything else to my profile.

I also do not "like" anyone or anything, don't update or post anything about myself, and "friend" only people who are in the same group as I.

And I have saved somewhere a tutorial on how to completely delete a FB account for when I get tired of it.

Just beware that when FB 'improves'it's site, it often changes or adds features that undo your privacy settings.

They can take my password when they pry it from my cold, dead fing...

Oh, wait. I don't have a Facebook account.

I don't even own a computer...

Back
Top Bottom