Not quite Milsurp, but

Figures...I sold my M14 kits from the cmp and have been gun broke for some time. Where where these 800$ barreled actions 3 years ago!

Whoa-

Hope they have more. I may not finish until next year, but I have been waiting for a good deal on a receiver or at least certain serial number SA rifles. I ran into a USGI stock that I really liked, so that was the start of the next project. A little better start than my AR-6.5 Creedmoor, which started with a NES group buy ejection port cover.

Last edited:
Whoa-

Hope they have more. I may not finish until next year, but I have been waiting for a good deal on a receiver or at least certain serial number SA rifles. I ran into a USGI stock that I really liked, so that was the start of the next project. A little better start than my AR-6.5 Creedmoor, which started with a NES group buy ejection port cover.

I will give you a USGI vented rear hand guard.
Maybe have guns vicariously through others.

Cool, thanks Mac!

This is probably going to be like that Johnny Cash song- one part at a time...

That's my thought too. Have you seen M14/M1A part prices? I'm envisioning a winter project funded my by tax return.

That's my thought too. Have you seen M14/M1A part prices? I'm envisioning a winter project funded my by tax return.

Yeah, the prices are pretty steep for decent stuff. Assuming I can get the barreled receiver, I'll pick away at a few quality parts with a target completion of next summer. Maybe earlier. I built my AR-6.5 this way as well as that .308 Garand. Actually all of my AR's were built over time, except for Mrs. Mountain's pink Muddy Girl AR, which was on a tighter schedule for Christmas.

Last edited:
not often enough for my likes and usually when I have no funds.
the last few insurance and tax increases really took the fun out of any fun money I had left...

Yeah, the prices are pretty steep for decent stuff. Assuming I can get the barreled receiver, I'll pick away at a few quality parts with a target completion of next summer. Maybe earlier. I built my AR-6.5 this way as well as that .308 Garand. Actually all of my AR's were built over time, except for Mrs. Mountain's pink Muddy Girl AR, which was on a tighter schedule for Christmas.

Bula also makes op rods, gas cylinders and a number of other smaller parts for the M14/M1A. It would be cool to have all new parts with matching finish all sitting in a new production GI contour stock. Surprisingly, a new Bula op rod is $200 while I'm seeing GI examples way north of that price.

jntf said:
Do deals like this come up periodically? I may be interested in a build but may need to sit on funding for a while.

Unsure, I don't hang out in the M14 circles. I saw this posted in another shooting forum; the comments on the thread lead me to believe this offering is the deal of the century.

Bula also makes op rods, gas cylinders and a number of other smaller parts for the M14/M1A. It would be cool to have all new parts with matching finish all sitting in a new production GI contour stock. Surprisingly, a new Bula op rod is $200 while I'm seeing GI examples way north of that price.

Unsure, I don't hang out in the M14 circles. I saw this posted in another shooting forum; the comments on the thread lead me to believe this offering is the deal of the century.

to bad I did not sit on those CMP C grade M14 kits longer....[crying]

I just put one of these Bula barreled receivers together with all USGI parts and a unitized gas system if anyone wants to shoot it before they buy one. Not even a hundred rounds down the pipe yet. I posted this deal in the 'deals and steals' thread two days ago because it's absolutely a steal. Bula products are top notch, and my next build is going to be with as many Bula parts as possible (I'll be out of USGI parts soon anyway) and it's going into an EBR chassis I got for a SONG on the m14 forum a month ago.

So what's the cost of a complete build? Barreled action i can see being $800 bus I'm unsure of the rest of the parts

mo matter how I tried I could not get my build price much less than 1800$ that's before I buy any tools. If your paying someone to put it together....factor that in

Oof...you really wanna know? Probably upwards of $2k...definitely not under $1500 unless you're good at giving hand jobs.

Seriously though...these things are money pits lately. Judging from what Mac is saying it wasn't always this way. My next one I'll be barreling/timing/headspacing myself. I just bought all the tools I need for the job after finding out the ones I borrowed won't work for the M14 (thanks anyway though, Mac). And if any of you guys just want to take advantage of buying a standard receiver (not xm21), than you can borrow the tools from me to barrel it down the road.

The biggest costs are obviously the barrel, bolt, trigger group, op rod, gas system and depending on what you get for a stock, that could be up there as well. The small parts can be had for wicked deals on the M14 forum, you just gotta check often and be the first to jump when something goes up for sale.

There are a few nice wood stocks in the classifieds on NES right now for short money.

Truth be told, you're just not going to get the accuracy out of one of these that you would out of an AR platform...not without throwing a TON of money at it, anyway. If you wanna build one for the experience...because it's 'fun'...that's the reason to do it. I had WAY more fun building my M14 than I did any of my AR's...took about 8 hours all together, but I was moving right along I was so excited to have a finished product in front of me. Do it piece by piece and I bet you won't even notice how much money you're wasting...ahem...spending :)

ETA...the barrel vice I got is for medium contour barrels...keep that in mind if you're wanting to buy stuff now and borrow my tools down the road when you're ready to build.

Last edited:
I picked up my stock for 'short money' from the ones listed on NES. Simply awesome condition (refinished by LRB) yet retains all the USGI cartouches. Great guy, too. The rest are just about as nice, if you are looking for a USGI wood stock.

Accuracy between 1.5 to 2 MOA would be fine. Agreed that the AR platform would be better if accuracy was your goal. I'm working on bringing a AR-308 in 6.5 Creedmoor to see if I can get it from just under 1/2 MOA with factory match ammo to closer to 1/4 MOA once I start precision reloading for it. I seriously doubt there's a chance in hell of coming close to that with the M1a.

Oof...you really wanna know? Probably upwards of $2k...definitely not under $1500 unless you're good at giving hand jobs.

Seriously though...these things are money pits lately. Judging from what Mac is saying it wasn't always this way. My next one I'll be barreling/timing/headspacing myself. I just bought all the tools I need for the job after finding out the ones I borrowed won't work for the M14 (thanks anyway though, Mac). And if any of you guys just want to take advantage of buying a standard receiver (not xm21), than you can borrow the tools from me to barrel it down the road.

The biggest costs are obviously the barrel, bolt, trigger group, op rod, gas system and depending on what you get for a stock, that could be up there as well. The small parts can be had for wicked deals on the M14 forum, you just gotta check often and be the first to jump when something goes up for sale.

There are a few nice wood stocks in the classifieds on NES right now for short money.

Truth be told, you're just not going to get the accuracy out of one of these that you would out of an AR platform...not without throwing a TON of money at it, anyway. If you wanna build one for the experience...because it's 'fun'...that's the reason to do it. I had WAY more fun building my M14 than I did any of my AR's...took about 8 hours all together, but I was moving right along I was so excited to have a finished product in front of me. Do it piece by piece and I bet you won't even notice how much money you're wasting...ahem...spending :)

ETA...the barrel vice I got is for medium contour barrels...keep that in mind if you're wanting to buy stuff now and borrow my tools down the road when you're ready to build.

I am lucky enough to know 2 ret armorers who where in service from the beginning to end of the M14. Both say they are one of the most expensive service rifles to keep shooting accurately. They will also tell you accuracy is dependent on what you expect. Yes they can be accurate but it will cost you. I have a friend who inherited his dad's NM M1a. It's really nice. His uncle can shoot it to under 2moa prone supported with out much effort with Fed GMM. Will hold 10 ring with M118.
It was rebarlled back in the late 80s with a Lija barrel I think.
I know another older match shooter who is still waiting on his full blown LRB M25 Heavy match rifle. With a custom high grade walnut stock. He hand picked the wood blank. The blank was 1200$.
The LRB rifle with out wood a touch under 5k!!!
So you,just need to know where you want to go with it. I know several people who bought a standard SAI and dumped it into one of those 2500$ chassis and still can't put shots in the black ring..

I picked up my stock for 'short money' from the ones listed on NES. Simply awesome condition (refinished by LRB) yet retains all the USGI cartouches. Great guy, too. The rest are just about as nice, if you are looking for a USGI wood stock.

Accuracy between 1.5 to 2 MOA would be fine. Agreed that the AR platform would be better if accuracy was your goal. I'm working on bringing a AR-308 in 6.5 Creedmoor to see if I can get it from just under 1/2 MOA with factory match ammo to closer to 1/4 MOA once I start precision reloading for it. I seriously doubt there's a chance in hell of coming close to that with the M1a.

Hey for 3k you can get Fulton M1a sniper with a guarantee of 1.5 MOA with 6.5cal[rolleyes]
Go with their sub MOA model with heavy barrel and other up grades your at 5k
For me I think I would buy a nice heavy barrel tikka or Sako and a nice piece of glass and have a much better set up.

Last edited:
I am lucky enough to know 2 ret armorers who where in service from the beginning to end of the M14. Both say they are one of the most expensive service rifles to keep shooting accurately. They will also tell you accuracy is dependent on what you expect. Yes they can be accurate but it will cost you. I have a friend who inherited his dad's NM M1a. It's really nice. His uncle can shoot it to under 2moa prone supported with out much effort with Fed GMM. Will hold 10 ring with M118.
It was rebarlled back in the late 80s with a Lija barrel I think.
I know another older match shooter who is still waiting on his full blown LRB M25 Heavy match rifle. With a custom high grade walnut stock. He hand picked the wood blank. The blank was 1200$.
The LRB rifle with out wood a touch under 5k!!!
So you,just need to know where you want to go with it. I know several people who bought a standard SAI and dumped it into one of those 2500$ chassis and still can't put shots in the black ring..

That preban m1a from 1987 I bought back in January is truly capable of sub moa with iron sights...it's the only rifle I've ever had that truly shoots better than I do. the first three shots I took with it (granted at 25 yards to see if I was at least on paper) clover leafed in the X-Ring. after my first build, and seeing how far i have to go in order to get anywhere NEAR that kind of accuracy, I consider it a challenge i'm willing to take on.

it's odd too, that I had ZERO interest in the M14 platform until a few years ago...looked at it and just saw an ugly garand in .308...now I can't decided which ones I like better! regardless, I think i'll be spending a LOT of time with all my M1's before/if I ever truly master accurizing ANY in the platform like the builder of my m1a did (SSgt. Isaac McCaskill, 2112 USMC from Cassat Gunworks in SC)

Holy crap that's a LOT of dough for that LRB! I'll bet that stock will be beautiful, however.

If I can still get in on the Bula sale, I'll be happy with the medium contour barrel. Probably made by Criterion or Douglas? Probably the barrel itself would be capable of sub 1.5 MOA, maybe ~1 MOA-ish. The entire system as built? Again, happy with sub 2 MOA. Quality parts plus some simple and cheap things to do that should get me there.

The barrels are Bula as well...after a proper break in, mine has a mirror shine and cleans up really easy...which is good because I keep having to go back to the range to try and fix my cycling issues. Most likely due to amateur builder error.

Probably they are either OEM-ing all the work to a known barrel producer. At most they are finishing blanks produced by a known maker. IMHO, of course.

Probably they are either OEM-ing all the work to a known barrel producer. At most they are finishing blanks produced by a known maker. IMHO, of course.

Not sure what you're doing this afternoon, but i'll be at WP&R around 16:30 with my XM21 built on receiver #94 'Crazy Whore' is her name...my comparatively 'inexpensive' clone of the SEI 'Crazy Horse'. If you wanna come by and slap her around a little, you're more than welcome.

That preban m1a from 1987 I bought back in January is truly capable of sub moa with iron sights...it's the only rifle I've ever had that truly shoots better than I do. the first three shots I took with it (granted at 25 yards to see if I was at least on paper) clover leafed in the X-Ring. after my first build, and seeing how far i have to go in order to get anywhere NEAR that kind of accuracy, I consider it a challenge i'm willing to take on.

it's odd too, that I had ZERO interest in the M14 platform until a few years ago...looked at it and just saw an ugly garand in .308...now I can't decided which ones I like better! regardless, I think i'll be spending a LOT of time with all my M1's before/if I ever truly master accurizing ANY in the platform like the builder of my m1a did (SSgt. Isaac McCaskill, 2112 USMC from Cassat Gunworks in SC)

That's a nice unit you got there and a good deal also. When,I,spoke to one of the USMC ret armorers he got all googly eyed said McCaskill knows,his shit.

Not sure what you're doing this afternoon, but i'll be at WP&R around 16:30 with my XM21 built on receiver #94 'Crazy Whore' is her name...my comparatively 'inexpensive' clone of the SEI 'Crazy Horse'. If you wanna come by and slap her around a little, you're more than welcome.

Crap, missed out on the range trip. Had to Fedex a package for my Russia visa, exchange scope rings for taller for the AR-6.5CM, and get groceries for my family grill-a-thon next couple days.

That said, I am on vaca all week & up for some shooting. Crazy Whore, LOL...

Bula Defense is currently make most of the parts for the M14 and they are sold via Wolfe Firearms. The parts are top notch.

The sale on receivers is on through Friday through Bula.

Those are very good prices if anyone is still thinking about it. I have a Bula barreled receiver that I am waiting to build out but am still collecting the other parts. Their quality is terrific and they are a super company to work with.

Back
Top Bottom