• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not rifle, not pistol, but "firearm" in Ma?

I've been longing for an AR pistol.

Upon researching some builds in free states, I was reading up on the ATF regulations regarding the OAL.

I read that if the pistol is longer than 26" it's no longer a pistol but not yet a rifle.... this allows users to equip a vertical forgrip and such.

Im aware AR pistols are near impossible to build in MA primarily with the 50oz limit. Does this change if the AR is 26"?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been longing for an AR pistol.

Upon researching some builds in free states, I was reading up on the ATF regulations regarding the OAL.

I read that if the pistol is longer than 26" it's no longer a pistol but not yet a rifle.... this allows users to equip a vertical forgrip and such.

Im aware AR pistols are near impossible to build in MA primarily with the 50oz limit. Does this change if the AR is 26"?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pistols must be under 50oz in MA, no foregrip. length does not matter. if you saw somewhere otherwise, please cite the reference.

Barrel is heavy, longer barrels are heavier, i.e. good luck with 50oz limit.

Tip: plastic receivers are 1/3 of the weight of the aluminum AR receivers. [wink]

They have a lot of carbon fiber parts as well .. Say you did get it down to the 50oz and were questioned about it is not worth the grief .. But then again I don't like being oppressed either so it depends how much you feel like fighting

Boris,

Think Derek is referring to a Thread started by dcmdon https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...oop-hole-in-CT-AWB-People-are-buying-them-now.

How, with a vertical foregrip the pistol is no longer a pistol, but an AOW. adding a ~4month wait & for the manufacturer a $5 stamp, however for an individual building one would be a $200 stamp.

This of course is a dealer/MFG in CT. Haven't looked into the application for MA, myself. Interesting none the less.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

pistols must be under 50oz in MA, no foregrip. length does not matter. if you saw somewhere otherwise, please cite the reference.

Barrel is heavy, longer barrels are heavier, i.e. good luck with 50oz limit.

Tip: plastic receivers are 1/3 of the weight of the aluminum AR receivers. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom