Notification instead of signoff?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
According to this from January, we're no longer required to get an CLEO signoff on NFA items

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

This rule is supposed to take effect 180 days after it was entered into the Federal Register. The document above is dated January 4, 2016

Can you Form 1 an SBTR without signoff yet?

Will they change the Form 1 itself to reflect this?

The current form online ( https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...-and-register-firearm-atf-form-53201/download) still has a section and language indicating a signoff requirement.

Last edited:
So SBRs will be just a notification, a wait time, engraving, and a $200 tax stamp? The engraving requirement is beyond moronic, but oh well...

So SBRs will be just a notification, a wait time, engraving, and a $200 tax stamp? The engraving requirement is beyond moronic, but oh well...

Form 1 SBR before 13 Jul will fill out EForm 1, upload scanned copy of trust document, $200, engraving, and wait.

Form 1 SBRs after 13 Jul will fill out the Form 1, complete Form 23 (Responsible Person Questionaire) for each "Responsible Person," send copy(ies) to CLEO for notification, submit fingerprints and photos for all "Responsible Persons", trust documents (if applicable), $200, engraving, and wait.

Easy to see why everyone is rushing to beat the deadline.

Form 1 SBR before 13 Jul will fill out EForm 1, upload scanned copy of trust document, $200, engraving, and wait.

Form 1 SBRs after 13 Jul will fill out the Form 1, complete Form 23 (Responsible Person Questionaire) for each "Responsible Person," send copy(ies) to CLEO for notification, submit fingerprints and photos for all "Responsible Persons", trust documents (if applicable), $200, engraving, and wait.

Easy to see why everyone is rushing to beat the deadline.

Agreed and with less than a month left and legislation in the news, wait times will continue to rise.

Last waits for me were at 5 months. Big rush at the end and I expect them to go to 6. They are also no longer allowing certain denied forms to be resubmitted and then pushed through quickly with an email to NFA.

Notificication is sent saying to just resubmit and that they will be treated as a new form... Too many people screwing up forms so now a mistake put spy out at the end of the line if it isn't a delay.

Vote early and vote often!

As of this past week, turnaround time to deny an e-File form 1 is 4 days, and then you end up at the end of the line.

All the more reason to back stop your application with pictures on anything that is questionable because getting denied after the 13th would suck.

All the more reason to back stop your application with pictures on anything that is questionable because getting denied after the 13th would suck.
In my (limited) experience, with paper forms the examiner would send a request for clarification but you are still "in process" and don't lose your place in line; We just tried e-File last month, and for the one SBR that got kicked back, had to re-submit.

In my (limited) experience, with paper forms the examiner would send a request for clarification but you are still "in process" and don't lose your place in line; We just tried e-File last month, and for the one SBR that got kicked back, had to re-submit.

When the volume was lighter, they would work with you and you wouldn't lose your place in line. With the current volume levels it appears they aren't being friendly and you will go to the back of the line for a mistake. Check your forms carefully and if you do something non standard, back it up with pics. That was my point.

I was disapproved for my first form 1 because I messed up my serial number. (I'm dumb)[angry] It took 5 weeks to hear back about my disapproval. I fixed my problem and resubmitted a new form 1 for it, so let's hope I didn't eff it up this time. Also, I submitted another 2 form 1s[mg]

Back
Top Bottom