• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NPR on DC vs. Heller.

I don't know.. I only caught about 10 minutes of it on the way to lunch today, but it sounded like they were trying to equate individual gun rights with legalizing RPGs and fully automatic weapons.

If the right to bear arms is an individual right and intended to be the last resort to a tyrannical government (which it pretty clearly is), then at least one of the interviewed construed that to mean individuals would need the same weaponry as the military since an uprising would no doubt be fighting the military. The language was clearly constructed to inspire fear amongst the sheeple.

An armed citizenry does not need to be as well armed as the military to be formidable. The military represents 1% of the population. A large group of motivated citizens (say 10%) with [semi-automatic] rifles would be pretty effective in my estimation.

I don't know.. I only caught about 10 minutes of it on the way to lunch today, but it sounded like they were trying to equate individual gun rights with legalizing RPGs and fully automatic weapons.

If the right to bear arms is an individual right and intended to be the last resort to a tyrannical government (which it pretty clearly is), then at least one of the interviewed construed that to mean individuals would need the same weaponry as the military since an uprising would no doubt be fighting the military. The language was clearly constructed to inspire fear amongst the sheeple.

An armed citizenry does not need to be as well armed as the military to be formidable. The military represents 1% of the population. A large group of motivated citizens (say 10%) with [semi-automatic] rifles would be pretty effective in my estimation.

There is some of that but the weight of the discussion is more about the legal aspects of the case.

As a counterpoint, there is one caller who goes off on a knee jerk "guns are bad" tangent. One of the guests talks about how there's compelling evidence that shows more gun control equals more crime.

I'm actually a really big NPR fan, but I don't really care for this show. The conversation never really seems to go anywhere and I didn't think this topic was much different.

However, I am very much looking forward to post oral arguments coverage today. NPR's Nina Totenberg is really interesting and the court is supposed to be releasing same-day audio recordings, which I'm sure NPR will use in their reports.

I'll be really surprised if any of the attorneys presenting to the court really have an opportunity to say much. I think the questions will start early and go the whole time.

I'll post a link to the complete oral arguments if I find time on-line.

You do know that NPR gets weird criticism by certain groups of being Anti-Israeli? I quite never figured out the basis of some of this commentary.
Bill

Some people equate any criticism of Israel as anti-Israeli...as in a conversation isn't allowed to take place. (The Harvard lawyer Alan Dershowitz comes to mind). Six years ago I'd of said Israel should try to see the Palestinians point of view. Now I think they should build the wall even taller.

(another) Bill

I listened to it as it came on as NPR is always on in the morning. All things considered, it was well done and unbiased, though you could still tell which side the two guests fell on the issue. Can't say I was too impressed with the callers, but at least none of them made gun owners look like total bafoons.

IIRC one of the guests (Rosenkranz?) was definitely on the pro side. One (Bogus, heh) was on the side of a collective right and I think the other two were more neutral.

IIRC one of the guests (Rosenkranz?) was definitely on the pro side. One (Bogus, heh) was on the side of a collective right and I think the other two were more neutral.

I listened to the whole thing.

It was actually VERY BIASED. Who are we kidding?

They talk about the NEW revisionist history in the setup for the whole program, which suggests that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right.

They have gun owners talk about obtaining licensing and safety classes. People compared it to driving cars. Look, I quite don't think that a safety class is going to improve gun safety. Look at cars. They kill more people than anything else in which two people are involved.

Why should states with very low incidents of firearm accidents such as Alaska or Vermont which have no CCW licensing, be mandated to license CCW? They were suggesting this. They distorted the NRA's work in regards to CCW licenses over the past twenty years.

One Person did say that you should be able to buy a gun in any state. Heck, I agree with that wholeheartly.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom