NRA HP Rules > Compensator removal > Thread protector ok?

Hello

I have a 20" A2 AR that I'd like to employ for high power rifle matches. It has a small Carlson mini-comp on the end of the barrel. I read the NRA HP rules and it says compensators are not allowed.

Therefore my plan is to remove the compensator but this will expose about 1/2" of thread. Instead of cutting the barrel down I propose to put a thread protector on the end, which of course will also need to be pinned and welded. Does anyone know if this will meet NRA guidelines?

I also intend to replace the handguard with a free-float unit while the compensator is removed.

Hello

I have a 20" A2 AR that I'd like to employ for high power rifle matches. It has a small Carlson mini-comp on the end of the barrel. I read the NRA HP rules and it says compensators are not allowed.

Therefore my plan is to remove the compensator but this will expose about 1/2" of thread. Instead of cutting the barrel down I propose to put a thread protector on the end, which of course will also need to be pinned and welded. Does anyone know if this will meet NRA guidelines?

I also intend to replace the handguard with a free-float unit while the compensator is removed.

I assume you're talking service rifle. Technically that wouldn't be legal, but someone would have to protest you and the match director would have to make the call. I highly doubt that either of those things would happen unless someone got a hair across their ass.

(Nobody on the line is going to give you shit if you decide to screw on an A2 flash-hider either.)

Last edited:
Thanks Jason

When you say 'that wouldnt be legal', you are referring to the thread protector, yes?

I assume you're talking service rifle. Technically that wouldn't be legal, but someone would have to protest you and the match director would have to make the call. I highly doubt that either of those things would happen unless someone got a hair across their ass.

(Nobody on the line is going to give you shit if you decide to screw on an A2 flash-hider either.)

Thanks Jason

When you say 'that wouldnt be legal', you are referring to the thread protector, yes?

Yeah. Technically there's a rule about "external modifications." I really doubt anyone would care about a thread protector though, it's not like you'd be at an advantage.

I'm not so sure that it would be illegal. If it was the same profile and length I would think it would be ok. I honestly would not put that much work into it though unless you have the capability to do it yourself. The cost to do that would go a long way toward a new barrel. We are only talking about $225 or so for a White Oak stainless HB.

B

Yeah trouble is the darn compensator is pinned and welded. Makes all options a pain in the *ss. You can't really swap the barrel without either buying a second front sight, snap ring, ring, delta ring and barrel nut, or, drilling out the weld in the compensator which could bugger it up. What a hassle MA is.

Thanks for helping me sort it out!

If it's threaded like a regular AR barrel, there isn't a lot of meat there. I'd be kinda wary about pinning it, but that is not to say that it might be just fine. You might be able to sell the whole upper and put the proceeds towards a new NM upper.

What twist is the barrel?

B

It's a good barrel. 1:7 HB. I was thinking about a whole new NM upper but this one is partly there.

If it's threaded like a regular AR barrel, there isn't a lot of meat there. I'd be kinda wary about pinning it, but that is not to say that it might be just fine. You might be able to sell the whole upper and put the proceeds towards a new NM upper.

What twist is the barrel?

B

Last edited:
I assume you want to be leagal for service rifle. What free float unit where you thinking about. How about your rear sight. Not that you need a NM rear sight but something to consider.
I was planning on doing what you are trying. In the end I purchased a new RRA national match rifle for not much more than the parts I needed. Entire rifle.
Maybe reserve this upper for practice.
Some rules don't make sense. No exterior mods. Yet there's a ton of stainless barrels with just target crowns out there shooting. I maybe wrong but I don't think those where ever issued.
Can you see where the pin is on the current comp? If so you can carefully drill out the weld. If your lucky the pin isn't to tight or rusted in. You can remove the pin with out totally destroying the comp. Paying someone to do this is another 50+ you could put towards a new upper.

Yeah..Still looking at $400+ for a new upper, more with a ff hand guard. Then add the BCG. i guess i could easily just re-use the BCG from my current upper, but still looking at $500 for sure, and thats not with a 1:7 barrel either. I think I can fix this current situation for about $200-$250. I dont think I want extra uppers laying around. Yes I can see where the pin was welded very easily but I'd need a drill press or preferably an end mill to clean this out properly and not munge it up. If I hit this with the DeWalt it won't be pretty. [shocked]

I assume you want to be leagal for service rifle. What free float unit where you thinking about. How about your rear sight. Not that you need a NM rear sight but something to consider.
I was planning on doing what you are trying. In the end I purchased a new RRA national match rifle for not much more than the parts I needed. Entire rifle.
Maybe reserve this upper for practice.
Some rules don't make sense. No exterior mods. Yet there's a ton of stainless barrels with just target crowns out there shooting. I maybe wrong but I don't think those where ever issued.
Can you see where the pin is on the current comp? If so you can carefully drill out the weld. If your lucky the pin isn't to tight or rusted in. You can remove the pin with out totally destroying the comp. Paying someone to do this is another 50+ you could put towards a new upper.

I cut one off with a dremel once. It turned out fine and I'm no machinist.

Your other option is to just come shoot it as-is until you can get something more appropriate. The Carlson comps aren't that loud and if you ask the match director he might overlook the rule and let you shoot anyway. You wouldn't be able to win, but it's not all about winning anyway.

Bingo! That's the best solution. I Don't spend any more money and I Don't butcher it. Winning can come later. I just want to shoot !

I'm itching to get out to reading again...
There's nothing wrong with extra uppers laying around....well except trying to shoot them all.

Your other option is to just come shoot it as-is until you can get something more appropriate. The Carlson comps aren't that loud and if you ask the match director he might overlook the rule and let you shoot anyway. You wouldn't be able to win, but it's not all about winning anyway.

This is the best option.

B

It's a good barrel. 1:7 HB. I was thinking about a whole new NM upper but this one is partly there.

If your rifle does not already have a float tube and you need to purchase and install one you are most likely definately better off just selling that upper and buying one ready to go for Highpower like this one....
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17520&cat=259&page=1

Quality Float Tubes are $105 plus shipping
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17658&cat=286&page=1

I have a friend that wants me to sell his used White Oak Armament Upper for him soon.
It's has right around 2000 rounds thru it. 1x7 twist Wilson barrel with free float tube.
Complete with bolt, carrier and charging handle, ready to slap on a lower and shoot.
1/4 x 1/4 pinned rear sight.

I think he will want $550 plus shipping for it

Bingo! That's the best solution. I Don't spend any more money and I Don't butcher it. Winning can come later. I just want to shoot !

The Carlson MINI Comp was only labled a comp for compliance issues with the ATF for classifacation. The device by nature has very little compensating ability, as it has a reduced internal surface area and open front (like a standard A2 flash hider). By design, it is so short that it can not divert muzzle balst effectivly, hence, it was not considered a flash hider per ATF. I would liken the effect of the MINI Comp to that of an AK slant brake. Hope this helps, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Greg
Carlson Comps

Yeah trouble is the darn compensator is pinned and welded. Makes all options a pain in the *ss. You can't really swap the barrel without either buying a second front sight, snap ring, ring, delta ring and barrel nut, or, drilling out the weld in the compensator which could bugger it up. What a hassle MA is.

Thanks for helping me sort it out!

YOu can always chase the threads, if they get buggered up, with a die set.

The Carlson MINI Comp was only labled a comp for compliance issues with the ATF for classifacation. The device by nature has very little compensating ability, as it has a reduced internal surface area and open front (like a standard A2 flash hider). By design, it is so short that it can not divert muzzle balst effectivly, hence, it was not considered a flash hider per ATF. I would liken the effect of the MINI Comp to that of an AK slant brake. Hope this helps, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Greg
Carlson Comps
Regardless of all that, unless your brake/comp is an exact facsimile of a USGI M16 flash suppressor, it is not legal for NRA and CMP service rifle competition.

I'm itching to get out to reading again...
There's nothing wrong with extra uppers laying around....well except trying to shoot them all.

mac1911
I got your pm inquiring on the used White Oak Armament upper for sale.
I pm'd you back but I don't know if it went thru.

I would much rater discuss via email than the awkward pm system.
email me at GSmith223 at comcast dot net about it.

Thanks, George

Mac: if you need a backup upper i've got a spare I'd let go for short money

colt large pin upper (i have adapter bushings somewhere for SP lowers), pinned rear sight, FF tube, 1:7.7 kreiger on it with ~ 2k rounds or so through it. could let it go with or without a BCG if moneys an issue

Mac: if you need a backup upper i've got a spare I'd let go for short money

colt large pin upper (i have adapter bushings somewhere for SP lowers), pinned rear sight, FF tube, 1:7.7 kreiger on it with ~ 2k rounds or so through it. could let it go with or without a BCG if moneys an issue

Sure cut right on in Jeff ..... LOL

You may want to part that upper out.
You've been trying to sell it for a loooong time.

Then again!
There are alot of people out there that are just talkers and Tire Kickers.....

I think the mongrel pins may scare people off but that Upper Reciever may sell for a premium on arfcom.

Who's float tube on it?

Does the barrel have a Wylde Chamber?
If not Wylde, what chamber is it?

Setscrew windage adjustable front sight base or taper pins?

Last edited:
Sweet... Glad to hear they're not all just tire kickers.

Now you got some extra cash for parts for the harley

Back
Top Bottom