NRA Instructor & RSO Courses

KMaurer

NES Member
The Westford Sportsmen's Club just agreed to schedule some more NRA Instructor and RSO courses. While I don't ask anyone to pay any deposit before the course, I do need an honest commitment that you'll be attending the course at least 2 weeks before the start of the course in order to order sufficient materials for everyone. When you're ready to commit, please sign up at the NRA Instruction web site.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor & Home Firearm Safety Instructor
Dates: Saturday, October 31, and Saturday & Sunday, November 7 & 8, 2009
Times: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Cost: $350, including lunches and all training materials, course outlines and lesson plans, as well as NRA processing and certification fees.

Candidates who complete the course successfully will be eligible for certification as NRA instructors in Basic Pistol Shooting and Home Firearm Safety and as Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Instructors. Both the NRA Basic Pistol class (~8hrs) and Home Firearm Safety class (~4hrs) satisfy the training requirements for a Massachusetts LTC-A.

The first day will be the NRA Basic Instructor Training class, required for all new NRA instructors. This class covers NRA training policies and procedures, working as part of a training team, training aids and teaching methods. The remaining two days will cover the course outlines and lesson plans for the Basic Pistol Shooting and Home Firearm Safety classes in detail, including individual and group exercises in preparing and teaching components of the classes.

You don't have to be an expert shooter to become an instructor. You need to be able to work with new shooters and instill in them the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to keep and use firearms safely and to begin learning and practicing to become competent handgun shooters. If you're interested or just have questions, with PM or E-mail me.

NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Dates: Saturday, October 31, and Saturday & Sunday, November 14 & 15, 2009
Times: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Cost: $350, including lunches and all training materials, course outlines and lesson plans, as well as NRA processing and certification fees.

Candidates who complete the course successfully will be eligible for certification as NRA instructors in Basic Rifle Shooting and as Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Instructors. BSA rules require an NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Instructor for all rilfe shooting activities (e.g., ranges at summer camp). The NRA Basic Ristol class (~14hrs) satisfy the training requirements for a Massachusetts FID.

The first day (the same time and location as the Pistol/HFS course described above) will be the NRA Basic Instructor Training class, required for all new NRA instructors. This class covers NRA training policies and procedures, working as part of a training team, training aids and teaching methods. The remaining two days will cover the course outlines and lesson plans for the Basic Rifle Shooting classes in detail, including individual and group exercises in preparing and teaching components of the classes.

NOTE:
If you're taking both of the above classes or are already a certified NRA instructor, deduct $100 from the cost. If you're already a certified NRA instructor and just want to add an additional discipline, you're not required to repeat the Basic Instructor Training component, though you're welcome to attend the 10/31 session as a refresher. You will, however, have to repeat the BIT exam.

NRA Range Safety Officers
Dates: Saturday, December 5, 2009
Times: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Cost: $75, including lunch and all training materials.

Candidates who complete the course successfully will be eligible for certification as NRA Range Safety Officers.

The course covers organizing, conducting, and supervising safe shooting activities and range operations; the roles and responsibilities of an RSO; Range Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); range inspection; range rules; range briefings; emergency procedures; and how to deal with firearm stoppages and malfunctions.

Ken

Just registered. Can't wait!

Last edited:
I just send out a confirmation message to those who have signed up for either of the two instructor courses. There is plenty of room left in both the Basic Pistol/Home Firearm Safety and Basic Rifle courses, so if you want to enroll in either, please register at the NRA wen site or contact me directly before Wednesday, 11/14, when I'll be ordering my materials from NRA. Enrollment in the Range Safety Officer course will remain open until November 19 or until the remaining few seats are taken.

Ken

For those wondering what the status of this certification is, I just got off the phone with NRA HQ and they say the certs are being printed this week and the RSO status has already been added to our memberships.

Back
Top Bottom