NRA Life Membership expiring?

My guess is there are plenty of groups working extremely hard at electronically obtaining the organization's membership info in the hope of exposing/shaming members, getting them fired, and making them unemployable.

6' and 155? You scrawny mofo.
I was.
Given how old it is I would say it's unlike he still weighs 155 pounds. No disrespect intended of course. ha
I'm not double that. I've added about three pounds a year since that time. (It doesn't sound so bad that way - it was 40 years ago)

I've added about three pounds a year since that time. (It doesn't sound so bad that way - it was 40 years ago)
...you're pointing due South.
34cxvr.jpg

It turns out my life insurance is the biggest waste of money.

For you - it's a guaranteed loser. At best you'll get a whole life policy that won't give you a decent rate of return. At worst, you get term and, as far as you are concerned, you are tossing $ out the window on something that'll never pay in your lifetime. ;)

Me thinks the NRA is going to expire ... reminds me of people that bought lifetime memberships at the local video store

If the NRA goes bankrupt, do the memberships become worthless?

Got a second email stating my NRA membership is expiring. I'm like really? I know I'm a life member so what's up with that? I googled it and it appears people have reported getting messages saying their offer to upgrade to the higher level is expiring, but not their actual membership. I don't care what anyone thinks of the NRA, I probably think less at this point, but I paid for a damn life membership! Just posting this because I figure I'm not alone in it. Anyone else get this email? I did submit the question through their online contact form so i'll update when they respond.

Rec'd a letter from the NRA yesterday telling me that my membership which I renewed in March 2019 will expire in August 2019. At my age I take it year by year but maybe this year (or the next couple months) will be my last as a member of the NRA.

Can someone post a copy of the letter or email stating their life membership is expiring? My wife got the same letter others have mentioned about it stating the offer to upgrade is expiring, but have seen nothing about my life membership expiring.

Can someone post a copy of the letter or email stating their life membership is expiring? My wife got the same letter others have mentioned about it stating the offer to upgrade is expiring, but have seen nothing about my life membership expiring.
upload_2019-6-27_13-8-22.png

Looks to me like a form letter, nothing in it states that a life membership is expiring. Doesn't even say the actual expiration date. Bet the email marketing is outsourced and they get paid by the number of emails they send. I will look out for one like this, I still get stuff my snail mail from them, so far the wife got the offer expiring, but I haven't receive'd anything lately.

Looks to me like a form letter, nothing in it states that a life membership is expiring. Doesn't even say the actual expiration date. Bet the email marketing is outsourced and they get paid by the number of emails they send. I will look out for one like this, I still get stuff my snail mail from them, so far the wife got the offer expiring, but I haven't receive'd anything lately.

It does, it had my personal info above with my membership number and ticking clock counting down to expiration lol. I omitted the personal info.

For you - it's a guaranteed loser. At best you'll get a whole life policy that won't give you a decent rate of return. At worst, you get term and, as far as you are concerned, you are tossing $ out the window on something that'll never pay in your lifetime. ;)

My sister's husband died of an aneurysm at age 30. She was pregnant with their first child. He had no life insurance.

Term life is not about you.

My sister's husband died of an aneurysm at age 30. She was pregnant with their first child. He had no life insurance.

Term life is not about you.
My wife and son will be very comfortable when I die. The monthly payment is my comfort.

Me thinks the NRA is going to expire ... reminds me of people that bought lifetime memberships at the local video store

If the NRA goes bankrupt, do the memberships become worthless?

The Life Membership money goes into a separate trust fund that the NRA only gets the dividends from. I presume if bankrupt or subject to fine, that fund would be paying out those dividends to settle the debt/fine. I'm not so sure the fund principal itself could be liquidated or seized.

This is nothing new... as a benefactor member.... which is like 10X lifetime and having made countless other donations.... it pisses me off when I’m on the do not mail list.... seems like every so often you have to call and complain every so often.

I love how people think just because you dump buckets of cash in someones lap they care will what you say...

Got a second email stating my NRA membership is expiring. I'm like really? I know I'm a life member so what's up with that? I googled it and it appears people have reported getting messages saying their offer to upgrade to the higher level is expiring, but not their actual membership. I don't care what anyone thinks of the NRA, I probably think less at this point, but I paid for a damn life membership! Just posting this because I figure I'm not alone in it. Anyone else get this email? I did submit the question through their online contact form so i'll update when they respond.

Aw jeez.

Cut them some slack.

I subscribe to several magazines, and they all pull the same shit "Your subscription will soon end - renew now !"

I check and I'm paid up until 2022.

Not rant-worthy.

That's true, but there's a more pleasant spin. Life insurance is a bet. You're betting you'll die (and thinking about your beneficiaries' well-being), and the insurance company is betting you'll live. Kind of nice to have somebody betting that you'll live.

Everything is essentially annual renewable term (ART) with or without some investment device to engineer fixed premiums (ART premiums generally increase as you age) with or without building up cash value. There is no free lunch--either they cover their expenses with fees (which they will always attach) and/or they will give you a smaller rate of return than they can get for themselves. Each premium payment breaks down to cost of insurance, management fees, and investment principle (if any). If you are financially disciplined, the approach that puts the most money into your hands or the hands of your beneficiaries is to buy ART but treat it as if it were whole life. If you were, say, to get a monthly premium quote for a whole life policy but buy ART instead, you could set aside the whole life premium amount each month, pay the ART premium with part of it, and invest the rest in an index fund at a discount brokerage. Towards the end you'll have to cash out some of the investment to make the larger ART premium payments, but you'll probably have a lot more money in your investment fund than if you actually had bought that whole life policy.

If your kid is applying for income redistribution based financial aid, the cash value of life insurance is one asset that does not count as part of your spendable assets when making the calculation.

If your kid is applying for income redistribution based financial aid, the cash value of life insurance is one asset that does not count as part of your spendable assets when making the calculation.

Taxes also complicate the comparison. If you cash out at some point, your basis includes all of your premiums, including the cost of insurance. A separate investment account will see dividends taxed annually. Dividends inside the life insurance policy are tax deferred.

5-year renewal for wife and daughter a month or so ago. Got the letter mid-week. Got the new membership cards today. Someone screwed up (or not) and everyone got one.

I didn’t get one. Life member.

5-year renewal for wife and daughter a month or so ago. Got the letter mid-week. Got the new membership cards today. Someone screwed up (or not) and everyone got one.

I didn’t get one. Life member.
(Reprints are probably available on demand.
Heck, if an org's staffers don't jump
to throw one in a first-class envelope,
it means the HQ is drowning in drama).

No joining/renewal premiums is another price one may pay
for life memberships in some orgs.
If it's just a trinket, flashing a lifer card at a membership table ought to work.
(But how many key fobs can one use?)

Back
Top Bottom