NRA Life Membership

Molon.Labe is right why should I put out $21 for NES. I do not get a hat,bumper sticker or magazine just like the NRA
So what if this forum has helped so many people with firearm question pertaining to the laws, repairs,sales,identification and shooting events. I still want a hat.[smile]

Regarding forums in particular, you need to have the free players, it's a lot like the forums I deal with at work. You have supporting members and grist. The supporting members have skin in the game, the grist do not (currently) or are a lower level of utilitizer. A large quantity of grist users encourage the acquisition of more supporting members. It's a numbers game, you don't convert people well when there is little new content, you need the grist to generate new content.

I would prefer to pay $300 for the NRA life membership, I'd probably jump on it if anyone offered it to me (and funds were free.), it would not prevent me (nor would the $1k membership) from giving more as I can. It's really just a method to buy in, I'm sure they've done the numbers and seen that those who buy in at the lower cost level convert to just as much donation revenue over their lifespan.

It's pretty simple stuff, actually Once you look at the data.

Dude, not everyone can afford $1000. Get off your high horse.

I'm not on a high horse. If I were, I'd pay NES $21 to get a bragging signature line.

My main point is: If one can't afford a $1000 membership, why seek to cut corners? It's a fundraising, not Gold Gym or Costco membership.

Also, have anyone considered easy pay life membership? $25 a quarter = $100 a year. 10 years, and you're in the club, if the decal, the bumper sticker and the bragging rights are important to you.

I rest my case.

I'm not on a high horse. If I were, I'd pay NES $21 to get a bragging signature line.

My main point is: If one can't afford a $1000 membership, why seek to cut corners? It's a fundraising, not Gold Gym or Costco membership.

Also, have anyone considered easy pay life membership? $25 a quarter = $100 a year. 10 years, and you're in the club, if the decal, the bumper sticker and the bragging rights are important to you.

I rest my case.

If it was all about avoiding corner cutting then there wouldn't be life membership at all. There wouldn't be any membership. It would all look like Comm2A's fundraising - no frills, no membership cards, no swag, just GIVE what you can when you can, with reminders at times. That is the bare bones fundraising you advocate and it works for Comm2A and their particular goals. It is less than optimal for many organizations because having bumper stickers out in the world, a quantifiable number of supporters, and people socializing at benefit dinners/shoots/conventions has value well beyond the $$ raised at those events.

Additionally, most people will open their wallets better with a gimmick attached to the experience. There are plenty of people who LIKE memberships, or get all jazzed about a range bag or tshirt with a logo on it. The NRA is smart to use that natural tendency to raise money.

Every one of us could be doing more for the cause. Do you have an automatic monthly donation to the NRA set up? Do you have them in your will? Do you help organize benefit events? Do you donate prizes for the benefit events? Do you volunteer for any of their events (Eddie Eagle program, the Annual meetings)? Did you turn off your dead tree copy of the magazine like they asked and go all digital? Do you listen to Cam & Company or just tune your radio in anyway to boost their ratings? Do you give NRA memberships as gifts? Life memberships? Do you go to the benefit dinners and bid and buy tickets? Have you ever bought a table at one of those dinners and brought along a table full of people who spend money too? Do you write letters to the editor? How often do you contact your national, state, and local reps? How often do you introduce new people to the fun of shooting and try to educate them? There's ALWAYS more every single one of us can do. It's never done.

Some people have decided that they have a hard-earned $300 they can part with. The NRA would like it and is happily offering them a bit of swag in exchange. The NRA is going to get a good bit more out of it than the $300.

Why on earth would you want to make people feel guilty for making a sacrifice to support the NRA in a way that the NRA is actively encouraging?

It would also be a kindness to remember that for plenty of people $300 is a HUGE amount of money. I was offered a $300 life membership years ago and had to turn it down. Because I didn't have $300. There was just no way I could afford that at the time. There are plenty of other people around that are in that position now. And plenty more that have $300 to give, but not $1000. Let them give what they are able and willing to give when they can and stop engaging in this "eating our own" behavior of attacking them for not engaging in philanthropy in the way that you approve of.

I rest my case.

Do you get WiFi from way up there? If so, go google "Time Value of Money" and get back to us.

Do you get WiFi from way up there? If so, go google "Time Value of Money" and get back to us.

Aye aye Mr Arrogant. For a 10 year $100/y annuity to have present value of $300, the discount rate should be around 31%.
That is, if NRA put $300 in a bank, and withdrew $100 annually for 10 years (to replace the Easy Pay Membership installments), the bank should pay 31% APR.
Yes, 31%, not 3% like banks offer these days.
Now, go find me a bank that offers 31% APR annuities, and I'll cut you a fat profit from my investments!

BTW, I once took a carbine class and read half the army survival manual. Can I call myself a Marine now? Semper Fi bro!

I think you're missing his point, or I'm missing yours.

Why do clubs like GOAL and the NRA have memberships? They raise money to support their operations.
Why do people join clubs like GOAL and the NRA? To support those operations.

You aren't joining for The Outdoor Message, The American Rifleman, or a bumper sticker. You join to support their operations. They offer Life Memberships to gain a larger amount, and as a convenience to their supporters. They offer Endowment Memberships to allow their supporters to continue to support, even though they "owe" nothing.

Sometimes, a club needs more money fast. What's the easiest way to get it? You can get MORE memberships, which results in you drumming up people for 30 bucks a whack, or you can entice your current membership, who has already established they support your cause, to give you more money. The reduced rate life membership does just that.

What I think Molon.Labe is saying is that if you've chosen to support them, why try to find a way to support them less? He seems to be suggesting that the reason you'd do so is simply because you want to say you're a life member, and the true reason isn't supporting the organization. If you truly supported the organization, you'd just give them money.

I'd never really thought about it that way, but it certainly makes sense.

This logic perfectly applies to gym membership, all right. You pay as little as possible, and get as much as you can.
Also works for the big flat screen plasma TV bought on Black Friday.

Memberships like NRA is a totally different ball game, can't you see? One is not really supposed to receive anything. One is supposed to give.
The bumper sticker is just a sign of recognition of those who gave a lot. It sends a message that one cares a lot.
Seeking life membership for less reminds me of folks who claim to be vets though they've never even seen the front line.

Both your arguments do make sense to me and I can totally see your sides. If I was doing this for strictly for swag or a title then you would be absolutely right. But honestly, I don't care nor want a "Life Member Fleece" or whatever crap they are offering. And I am particular about my bumper stickers so I wouldn't want one of those either. I just want to not have to worry about renewing every year.

Even when I have had a current membership in the past, they still send renewals and for the life of me, I can't remember when my membership started! I just want to put a definite check mark in the "Are you a NRA member?" question line.

Right now, giving $300 would be about 10% of my bank account. I probably should hold off, but I feel it's important enough to do . I definitely couldn't afford $1000. I feel like my $300 could be put to good use and is better than the $35 that I would've used to re-up.

Now, go find me a bank that offers 31% APR annuities, and I'll cut you a fat profit from my investments!

I know an investment company that guarantee at least 30+% annually profit return on all your investment. I think it's call "M..A..D..O..F..F Investment".

where is the 'not this sh!t again' picture. Become a life member, they have payment plans. Tell them that you want no junk mail and not to share your name. They will even stop the magazine if you don't want it. One call to member services stops all their silly cancer insurance and other stupid joint marketing mailings.

With the number of years I have left, it would not be prudent for me to become a life member.

Speaking simply from an investment point of view as some have done. [thinking]

With the number of years I have left, it would not be prudent for me to become a life member.

Speaking simply from an investment point of view as some have done. [thinking]

Good point. The NRA should charge different prices for Life Memberships based on age... I'll join when I see a prorated pricing scheme based on age. [/sarcasm]

Aye aye Mr Arrogant. For a 10 year $100/y annuity to have present value of $300, the discount rate should be around 31%.
That is, if NRA put $300 in a bank, and withdrew $100 annually for 10 years (to replace the Easy Pay Membership installments), the bank should pay 31% APR.
Yes, 31%, not 3% like banks offer these days.

BTW, I once took a carbine class and read half the army survival manual. Can I call myself a Marine now? Semper Fi bro!

Yeah, I'm the arrogant one yet you seem to understand the NRA's finances better than the NRA, to such an extent that you want to shit on guys who are willing to write a $300 check to the NRA. How many EPL members actually complete EPL? How many regular members jump on the $300 life membership deal who would otherwise be paying $25 bucks a year (or whatever it is?) How many $300 life members eventually upgrade to benefactor or whatever and pay more? How many still donate even after they go life member? How many existing members buy $300 life memberships for friends or family who would otherwise never become life members (or possibly even members at all?) You have no idea so you're talking out of your ass. Clearly the NRA ran the numbers and there's a positive ROI or else they wouldn't do these deals.

Call yourself whatever you want. IDGAF.

Even if you are a life member they still send you papers asking you to upgrade to endowment, benefactor etc. and if people want to take advantage of the NRA's offer then it is their right to do so.

If the NRA is offering Life Memberships for $300, then for whatever reason - increasing the number of members, money up front, potential upgrades down the road, etc. - they've decided that it's worth their while to make that offer and, presumably, they're glad when people take advantage of it. If they didn't want people to take them up on it, they wouldn't make the offer, right?

I signed up for Life Membership a few years ago when they were running one of the $300 specials, and I've since upgraded my membership twice, each time in response to a reduced-price offer. I always thought I was being a good guy and helping the organization in some way, but after reading through this thread I guess I'm just a slacker and should hang my head in shame. [/sarcasm]

Back
Top Bottom